Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Is it better not to just delete the install and reinstall providing you have good broadband? Games always have updates anyway... so 'archiving' seems pointless.
i don’t have good broadband sadly.
Also they’ll update anyway on any storage

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Is it better not to just delete the install and reinstall providing you have good broadband? Games always have updates anyway... so 'archiving' seems pointless.
But having it on your HDD attached to the console will mean its updated when needed....

So quicker to transfer it than download it. For anyone, no matter broadband speed.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
But having it on your HDD attached to the console will mean its updated when needed....

So quicker to transfer it than download it. For anyone, no matter broadband speed.
I’m thinking get an SSD external and use that to transfer at decent speeds to the internal

daymouse

Distinguished Member
I’m thinking get an SSD external and use that to transfer at decent speeds to the internal
I'm thinking the same as currently just have an external drive but its only USB 3.0 and not SSD. So when i run out of room on the internal of the Series X i think a 3.1 SSD will make a big difference to transfer speeds compared to what i have currently.

Maybe keep an eye out on amazon when it comes to Black Friday

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
I thought this would have been £179 given the loss taken on the consoles, £229 is just too much for a NVMe worth £99. Hold off if you can as this won’t sell at £229 and will see a price reduction after Xmas. It also doesn’t bode well for the PS5 initially as the slower 1TB drives are around £170.

To Copy 100GB onto a USB HDD that can write at a sustained 100MB/s would take around 15 minutes at best. I would suggest if this is going to be a solution going forward that people use a 4TB HDD or as large as possible as they can then store the games on it and copy them to Series X without deleting from the external HDD. This will allow them to simply delete on the NVMe as opposed to copying back .
Where are you seeing NVME 4.0 1TB for £99?

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I'll just manage with my 2TB external HD for the first few weeks. By then we'll have loads of articles, posts on here and reddit threads, all telling up what the best expansion options are. Seems sensible to wait IMO.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
personally i will use a mechanical usb external drive. I will keep the internal drive empty apart from the game im currently playing. then when ive finished will move the new game i want to play to internal before i move the old game back to external that way it can move it while im playing my new game

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
@shoestring25

You don't have to be that cautious.... I'll keep a few games on my internal which I play the most, and the odd will I or won't I game :)

The rest will be stored on my Xbox External HDD

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
@shoestring25

You don't have to be that cautious.... I'll keep a few games on my internal which I play the most, and the odd will I or won't I game :)

The rest will be stored on my Xbox External HDD
I just stick the all on my external that way when i want to take them anywhere or connect to another xbox no problem

STANNY08

The internal will hold half a dozen + or so games no problem. Copying games from an external drive only takes 7-10 minutes so isn’t really a problem for me.
No way can I justify paying that amount for storage.
People keep saying 10 mins. Where is this figure coming from?

featherhall

Distinguished Member
when I move an already installed game from internal to external or vice versa that’s what it was taking

STANNY08

when I move an already installed game from internal to external or vice versa that’s what it was taking
Fair enough, I don't think it's ever been as quick as that for me. Gonna be moving stuff about over the next month or so so will have a better idea then.
I guess it will be quicker too when writing to SSD rather than HDD?!

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
From how long it takes us to move stuff of course, some of us have been doing this stuff for years. It takes me 7m 40sec to move 50gb from internal HDD to external SSD.

jjgreenwood

It won't work. Its a proprietary connection because Xbox wants sustained performance to work with their velocity architecture....for a standard drive you'd need a cooling solution to be able to get sustained performance. And anyway fundamentally its a proprietary connection.....so nobody can do anything unless MS lets them.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
The architect of the system literally has said this three times. SSD drives are marketed with maximum performance not sustained performance. Xbox have been very keen to say their drive specs are sustained performance. Are you saying they are lying?

jjgreenwood

The architect of the system literally has said this three times. SSD drives are marketed with maximum performance not sustained performance. Xbox have been very keen to say their drive specs are sustained performance. Are you saying they are lying?
Yes

iwb100

Distinguished Member
If that is the case why wouldn’t they be forcing people to buy a new controller or headset? If your plan is to screw people on accessories why take such a different approach?

They’ve made a super small hot swappable card - that isn’t cheap but they’ve clearly done it for ease of use and compatibility with the VA.

jjgreenwood

If that is the case why wouldn’t they be forcing people to buy a new controller or headset? If your plan is to screw people on accessories why take such a different approach?

They’ve made a super small hot swappable card - that isn’t cheap but they’ve clearly done it for ease of use and compatibility with the VA.
Because if you did it with a controller or headset that would put people off, it's a basic rip off plain and simple, people will only realise after they have bought it and decide they need more storage. It's not expensive but they have decided to rip you off for it.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Because if you did it with a controller or headset that would put people off, it's a basic rip off plain and simple, people will only realise after they have bought it and decide they need more storage. It's not expensive but they have decided to rip you off for it.
Hasn’t stopped Sony doing it. So are they ripping people off with controllers?

The storage is expensive but I come back to the solution they wanted - hotswappable and sustained performance in a card format - you can’t buy anything like that for this price. I won’t be buying it. It’s not worth it but extra storage for either console is going to be this sort of price. Full stop. And for one console we don’t even know how you can add extra storage and what the limitations are.

jjgreenwood

Hasn’t stopped Sony doing it. So are they ripping people off with controllers?

The storage is expensive but I come back to the solution they wanted - hotswappable and sustained performance in a card format - you can’t buy anything like that for this price. I won’t be buying it. It’s not worth it but extra storage for either console is going to be this sort of price. Full stop. And for one console we don’t even know how you can add extra storage and what the limitations are.
Sony are terrible for it, they have a long track record of overcharging for storage

tonyk79

Where are you seeing NVME 4.0 1TB for £99?
Bulk Cost price and then allowing for the MS/Seagate markup.

If you want a single retail unit, £169 will get you This much faster NVMe which will allows for Sabrent and Amazon markup. I think £179.99 is a fair price for the much slower Xbox NVMe based on this much faster example drive and given Seagate exclusivity, no competition. Even a 4950MB/s Corsair is only £175.99.

apolloa

Distinguished Member

If you want a single retail unit, £169 will get you This much faster NVMe which will allows for Sabrent and Amazon markup. I think £179.99 is a fair price for the much slower Xbox NVMe based on this much faster example drive and given Seagate exclusivity, no competition. Even a 4950MB/s Corsair is only £175.99.
I cannot see a single sustained performance figure for that drive you linked to, it’s all ‘Up To’ just like broadband speeds, they are under perfect conditions. That does not therefore indicate it’s faster then the Series X drive with its reportedly advertised sustained figures.

iwb100

Distinguished Member

How is an internal SSD equivalent to the external plug in plug out hot swappable option Seagate have built? I don’t mind people comparing like for like products but this just isn’t the same thing.

Find a CFExpress card which is probably what the Xbox drive is built on and certainly the same sort of functionality...

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett