Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

I won't be playing/storing any BC games on the XSX. So the posts by both Chalky and rowedav have made my mind up to get the Seagate - or later models that utilise the Velocity Architecture.

Sticking with the 2TB seagate which I have on the xbox one at the moment, but I plan on getting a 1TB expansion card soon after launch once family Xmas presents have been sorted. I want Artic Pro wireless headphones first though...hmm maybe early in the new year.

According to Jason Ronald on the major Nelson podcast this card is just the first, they are planning bigger and smaller capacities and other OEMs. I'd say this bodes well for us if it's true meaning we will have access to various sizes and hopefully some OEM rivalry will keep prices competitive with each other. Again if true this is only a good thing for consumers and hopefully will mean the ps5 using of the shelf storage may may not be too different in price, once those high spec drives see a reduction in price the Xbox cards should really follow suit.

According to Jason Ronald on the major Nelson podcast this card is just the first, they are planning bigger and smaller capacities and other OEMs. I'd say this bodes well for us if it's true meaning we will have access to various sizes and hopefully some OEM rivalry will keep prices competitive with each other. Again if true this is only a good thing for consumers and hopefully will mean the ps5 using of the shelf storage may may not be too different in price, once those high spec drives see a reduction in price the Xbox cards should really follow suit.

It is true, see Chalky’s post on the previous page. Also I doubt they’d be making stuff up on Major Nelson’s podcast 😁

That's definitely good news. I know I'll want to expand storage eventually, but I won't do it straight away. The current unit is too expensive for me personally, so having a choice of capacity and brand will be a good thing further down the line.

So I have a question.
Having watched this ...

I need to get myself an external ssd drive for forthcoming series x
I don’t need anymore than 1tb really, based on the games I have and it’s only going to be used for non series x titles

So, can anyone suggest a good all in one external ssd ? Or a bare bones drive along with caddy and cable ?

Cheers.

So I have a question.
Having watched this ...

I don’t need anymore than 1tb really, based on the games I have and it’s only going to be used for non series x titles

So, can anyone suggest a good all in one external ssd ? Or a bare bones drive along with caddy and cable ?

Cheers.

I was going to buy one of these...

and one of these...

So I have a question.
Having watched this ...

Cheers.

Based on that video my take away was an nvme drive just isn't worth the money on the new consoles over a regular sata SSD. Generally if you can find an SSD that is usb 3.1 it should perform fine. Not sure how much difference it will make but buying one with a dram cache is usually a good thing, I have a crucial bx500 and it struggles writing large files both on Windows and on the Xbox, you'll be fine reading off a drive like that but downloads will take a little longer.

I was gonna buy an external and the adaptor but I think I may as well just put the money towards the first party one.

I was gonna buy an external and the adaptor but I think I may as well just put the money towards the first party one.

I did think that but, for non series x games which I’m sure playing for some time yet around 100 quid compared to over 200 isn’t too bad

and I’d guess by time we fill the internal with series x stuff the expandable will drop in price

mind I am very lucky to have almost 400mb download speed

I did think that but, for non series x games which I’m sure playing for some time yet around 100 quid compared to over 200 isn’t too bad

and I’d guess by time we fill the internal with series x stuff the expandable will drop in price

mind I am very lucky to have almost 400mb download speed

Yep, exactly this. There’s no advantage to playing non-Series X on internal anyway so I’ll keep that for the Series X games and use a 1TB SSD for BC games. And then we’ll start to see OEM expandable storage that’ll work for next gen games and prices will come down. By that point we’ll have more Series X games anyway so it should all line up.

Ok,perhaps I just have more money than sense.

Hold off on getting these drives. MS have said further drives will come to the market and it’s now been confirmed by people in possession of the drives that it is built on CFExpress standards. Something I speculated a while. What that means is that in theory a 3rd party could build a connector that allows standard NVME drives to be plugged in and work. Depends what protection MS have on the connection and I guess whether such a solution would be allowed due to the desire Xbox have for sustained performance.

It also means the expansion card is insanely cheap. Look up CFExpress and see how much it costs.

Isn’t it the case though, as the video shows that older, non series x games don’t make use of the new architecture around the faster internal and expansion drives utilise ?

Isn’t it the case though, as the video shows that older, non series x games don’t make use of the new architecture around the faster internal and expansion drives utilise ?
What we don't yet know though is how many Xbox one games will be patched to make better use of the new consoles and what those patches may be. Those patches might just be unlock frame rates or dynamic resolution scaling to use the extra power, but they may also see changes to tap in to the velocity Architecture. If they do this you'll have to install to the internal/expansion drives to use that update. I'm not a game designer but I'd think recoding to use a greater memory bandwidth would be a bit more hands on than removing frame rate or resolution limiters, just sounds like something that would require significant rewrites instead of a quick patch.

What we don't yet know though is how many Xbox one games will be patched to make better use of the new consoles and what those patches may be. Those patches might just be unlock frame rates or dynamic resolution scaling to use the extra power, but they may also see changes to tap in to the velocity Architecture. If they do this you'll have to install to the internal/expansion drives to use that update. I'm not a game designer but I'd think recoding to use a greater memory bandwidth would be a bit more hands on than removing frame rate or resolution limiters, just sounds like something that would require significant rewrites instead of a quick patch.

To play any patched next gen game will require it to be on internal SSD or an official expansion drive. Otherwise it won’t boot.

Did you miss my recommendation of that drive above? or were you looking for additional confirmation that I wasn’t talking out my rear :rotfl:

oh god yeah. Sorry
Didn’t see a link on phone but now on iPad I do. Sorry mate. Truly. Sorry. Wasn’t second guessing

oh god yeah. Sorry
Didn’t see a link on phone but now on iPad I do. Sorry mate. Truly. Sorry. Wasn’t second guessing

Was only joking :D think for £100 it’s a good middle ground as it will allow relativity fast transfers back and forth when required and playing current gen games off it will still benefit massively compared to a 5400rpm drive.

The Crucial MX500 SSD and Samsung 860 Evo SSD review really well. I narrowed it down to these two when I replaced my faulty Scorpio HDD.

I wanted to try an SSD in its place, but wanted the warranty of a named brand, so to keep cost down at the time, and knowing I was going to pre-order the Series X when it became available, I went with the 500 GB Crucial MX500, as it was always cheaper than the Samsung equivalent.

From my research, performance differences between the two probably wasn't going to be noticeable for this use, particularly as I had no experience with either at the time to compare anyway (for what it's worth, the Samsung usually pipped the Crucial).

I went for this in the end from argos.

Screenshot_20201010_141416_com.android.chrome.jpg

USB 3.2 gen 2 so a little future proofed and decent speeds of around 1,000 MB/s read/write which is probably more than the series x usb sockets will handle.

I plan on using internal storage for the optimised series x games and use this for the older back compatible titles.

Yep the T7 is overkill for the Series X from what I’ve read.

Yep the T7 is overkill for the Series X from what I’ve read.

It makes no difference does it? Any extra storage is simply for playing games via BC and to store stuff for transfer. So the faster the drive the better it will do these things but it’s not plugged into the velocity architecture thing so the speed is literally do you want to load Xbox one games a few seconds quicker than if you bought a slower external SSD...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom