Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
There was a rapid 1tb m.2 nvme on Amazon the other day for £109, so I’m hoping Microsoft don't go higher than £129. If it’s more than that I’ll just manage with the 1tb.

Hopefully I can plug in a big hard drive and move games back and forth from that to the internal SSD, I hope that’s a thing.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
There is an unverified rumour going round it will be $220.

Most 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD currently vary from £130-£180 (depending on technology used like TLC or QLC, controller used and the cost of NAND).

I know this will be in a custom housing but I hope $220 is fake or a placeholder price and It's not at that top end of NVMe.

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
It’s going to be expensive. Think we will all need to work with existing console storage and just be prepared to have fewer games installed at any one time.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
It’s going to be expensive. Think we will all need to work with existing console storage and just be prepared to have fewer games installed at any one time.

Has it been confirmed you can download Xbox Series S/X games to a USB 3.0 HDD but you can't play it from there? If so I think I'll just get a few large USB 3.0 drives for "cold storage" and if I want to play it copy it to the internal drive.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Has it been confirmed you can download Xbox Series S/X games to a USB 3.0 HDD but you can't play it from there? If so I think I'll just get a few large USB 3.0 drives for "cold storage" and if I want to play it copy it to the internal drive.

Yep think so - you can store them, just not play them. I already have a 4Tb drive so can use that.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
E93C8EAF-AEF8-4DC2-B6F9-DC2DF884F3E1.png

I'm not expecting the drive Microsoft uses to be better tech than these on Amazon, if they charge £150 quid or more for it then they just overcharging for it selling a cheap console and making the coin back on extras.

I much prefer the Sony approach, order a fast enough SSD and stick it in the machine, of course the problem is Sony are using such a bleeding edge drive that nothing is fast enough. There’s a new Sabrent Rocket and a new Samsung announced that are fast enough, but whether they will be available for November is another question.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Yep think so - you can store them, just not play them. I already have a 4Tb drive so can use that.

I've managed fine with a 500gb SSD and 1tb Internal this gen, for the next console hopefully I can flip this and have the 1tb internal SSD, with a slow 2tb hard drive for storing games on.

Fe_man2000

first off $220 dollars (is that US dollars ?) is a placeholder , how many of these have we seen so far ? It would convert to £170 a bit high I think, I would go for £149.99 1TB myself as it has a enclosures and is Xbox branded.

Nukleuz

Yeah I'll just use my 4TB external drive for legacy games and store any next gen ones and move over.
(I suspect there may be an automatic process that would do this)

May just even re-download them on demand - and use xcloud, you'll probably be able to stream the game straight away whilst full game downloads in background.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I really don't see these drives being cheap unless Microsoft allow other manufacturers to develop them too and encourage competition. Considering their new pro consumer stance I wouldn't rule that out but I don't see it happening really. One other thing is you might lose the quick resume feature if you run Xbox one games off of a usb drive too as that apparently dumps the ram states in to the SSD and when you resume pulls the data back to the ram (according to Austin Evans deep dive video at ms). Not sure if they'll find a way to stash instant resume data cache in the SSD but allow the main game itself be on the usb drive to allow this to work though.

I only see this issue being for the series s, 1tb built in and a usb drive would be very liveable as that's what I'm running one my one sad, but 512 would mean a lot of swapping things out to the the usb drive. I'll be interested to see how fast you can move from an external SSD to the internal SSD and if you can include the instant resume state in that data transfer.

Just part of me thinks by the time you spend £250 on the console and potentially buy the drive if it's over £150 you might as well go for the series X if you can afford one and get the double sized internal drive from the off. The hard drive is the main factor making me think the series X may well be the better buy.

tonyk79

I really don't see these drives being cheap unless Microsoft allow other manufacturers to develop them too and encourage competition. Considering their new pro consumer stance I wouldn't rule that out but I don't see it happening really. One other thing is you might lose the quick resume feature if you run Xbox one games off of a usb drive too as that apparently dumps the ram states in to the SSD and when you resume pulls the data back to the ram (according to Austin Evans deep dive video at ms). Not sure if they'll find a way to stash instant resume data cache in the SSD but allow the main game itself be on the usb drive to allow this to work though.

I only see this issue being for the series s, 1tb built in and a usb drive would be very liveable as that's what I'm running one my one sad, but 512 would mean a lot of swapping things out to the the usb drive. I'll be interested to see how fast you can move from an external SSD to the internal SSD and if you can include the instant resume state in that data transfer.

Just part of me thinks by the time you spend £250 on the console and potentially buy the drive if it's over £150 you might as well go for the series X if you can afford one and get the double sized internal drive from the off. The hard drive is the main factor making me think the series X may well be the better buy.

Very good point regarding the SSD Expansion costing over £150; could be better to go for a series x as you get lots of other benefits for not much more. If you have an external SSD with a Sata 3 interface, probably looking a max read speed of around 500MB/s or around 100MB/s if it’s an old mechanical HDD But typically game files are small so could be a lot less than that speed in the real world. I would hazard a guess of probably around 15-20 minutes to copy a 50GB game to the internal drive froman old mechanical HDD.

D

Deleted member 39001

I’ll use the 1TB Series X storage and my trusty USB3 512GB Toshiba hard drive. Served me well on my PS4 and Xbox..

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Very good point regarding the SSD Expansion costing over £150; could be better to go for a series x as you get lots of other benefits for not much more. If you have an external SSD with a Sata 3 interface, probably looking a max read speed of around 500MB/s or around 100MB/s if it’s an old mechanical HDD But typically game files are small so could be a lot less than that speed in the real world. I would hazard a guess of probably around 15-20 minutes to copy a 50GB game to the internal drive froman old mechanical HDD.

With my One X it takes 7min 40sec to transfer 50gb, that’s from the internal hard drive to the usb3 SSD.

tonyk79

With my One X it takes 7min 40sec to transfer 50gb, that’s from the internal hard drive to the usb3 SSD.

SSD will be faster as you say and the way to go if you have the choice. With an external SSD you are only limited by USB port speed assuming you have a decent SSD where with a mechanical HDD the hard drive could be reading speed max of 60-140MB.

It will be interesting to see if quick resume works with an external SSD as you have ones that already exceed the Xbox SSD Speed, the USB 3.2 port on Series x is capable of 20Gbps which should be in the ballpark of the internal SSD. I suspect this speed will be handicapped to persuade people to buy the official expansion drive.

HappyGilmore007

How many external drives can you have is there just one USB port?

Also wondering can you have the external 1tb special expandable ssd and normal slow hard drive?

So infernal 1tb ssd + external ssd made by Microsoft and 4tb slow external hard drive?

Think I am going to need a hard drive for my xbox s now keep running out of space

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member

thats close to my experiences with my xbox one S it transfers from external USB to internal 50GB takes about 9min 30sec.

that should be reduced by quite alot next gen as the write speed of the SSD will be way batter than the write speed of a mechanical

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
I will be sticking with using my 4tb USB external drive and just moving them across shouldnt take much more than 10mins for a 100gb next gen.

also fast start means i wont even have to wait that long

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I'll also be interested to see what download speeds the series X hits. I've got gigabit fibre and get around 200mbps maximum speeds, I'm not sure if that's being held back by the drive, the Xbox itself or Microsoft having no servers in new Zealand (which is about to change). If on one of the new consoles I can hit the speeds that the epic games store seems to hit here on my pc storage space becomes much less of a problem as I can just redownload entire games in hardly any time at all.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
SSD will be faster as you say and the way to go if you have the choice. With an external SSD you are only limited by USB port speed assuming you have a decent SSD where with a mechanical HDD the hard drive could be reading speed max of 60-140MB.

It will be interesting to see if quick resume works with an external SSD as you have ones that already exceed the Xbox SSD Speed, the USB 3.2 port on Series x is capable of 20Gbps which should be in the ballpark of the internal SSD. I suspect this speed will be handicapped to persuade people to buy the official expansion drive.

I'm sure quick resume will only work for games on the internal SSD because it's all possible because of the Velocity Architecture and the fact it can instantly access 100GB from the SSD. No external drives will have that capability.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member

Can go the other way too. MS know SSD expansions will be required by most gamers and also know they generally aren't cheap. The fact they have partnered with Seagate many assume will mean they'll be expensive, but the opposite could also be the case. By giving Seagate exclusivity for the expansions they will be guaranteed of huge volume of sales as a result, and for this MS may have negotiated a reduced retail price they can sell at so not too much for gamers.

tonyk79

I'm sure quick resume will only work for games on the internal SSD because it's all possible because of the Velocity Architecture and the fact it can instantly access 100GB from the SSD. No external drives will have that capability.

I havent seen a proper tech breakdown on how quick resume works, but I would hedge a bet that at a basic level, it suspends the game as a single compressed image file (similar to powering off a vm) to a reserved cache portion of the drive which then allows it to be loaded at between 2.4-4.8GB/s and this is why it take 6-8 seconds to resume a title, which is fast.

If it’s just loading an image file, then an external NVMe saturating the 20GB/s USB bandwidth could also do this, Albeit slightly slower even though it could have a faster drive; due to it not having direct access to Ram, CPU or perhaps the custom decompressor.

Exciting times and MS have finally delivered in a console 100%.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom