Question XBOX SERIES X - Dropping LAN connection. VIRGIN ROUTER

gullarm

Established Member
Reaction score
My new Series X seems to be randomly dropping its LAN connection.

When it arrived on launch day I unplugged my old Xbox and plugged the new one in using the old LAN cable – but after multiple drop outs I have swapped the LAN cable, but it’s still the same.

I have tried a different port on the router, no difference.

This never happened on my old Xbox or any other device I have connected – TV and HIVE. My TV pops up a box at the top if the router is turned off or the cable is unplugged and I haven’t seen it do it unless I unplug the LAN or turn off the router.

My son has started playing on the old Xbox as he is sick of it throwing him out of online games.

I have just set it to work on wireless – so will see what happens but I would much rather it was hard wired in.

It’s a Virgin router.

Any ideas?

Same issue here, also on Virgin. No idea of a solution yet.

Same issue here, also on Virgin. No idea of a solution yet.

At least its not just me - I was thinking about possibly returning it as faulty but then I wouldn't have a Series X until they are back in stock. I bought it from ARGOS.

Im with virgin and all good here only thing i had to do was to add a port to open up the NAT, download speeds are very inconsistent though.

I'm with BT, no drops via wired connection, but downloads are very inconsistent.

The xbox own speedtest gives me my full 900+ down but I've never seen an actual download above 480 or so (not complaining about the speed, I still downloaded AC Valhalla on Sunday in around 10 minutes :D) but it would be nice to be able to get full speed.

It does frequently drop to 20Mbps or below though.

20201206_212353.jpg
20201206_212352.jpg

Can go from speeds like this to all the way down to 14mb dont think there speeds are accurate only virigins 215 package

I had this on my One X and I am with Virgin, everything was fine in the house, wired laptop and smart tv but Xbox would be fine for 20 minutes and then just drop connection for a second or 2 which was annoying when playing MP Games. This happened even with Homeplugs so reverted to using WiFi and never had an issue. Since upgrading my Router to a Deco Mesh Network I have the Series X hardwired and no issue so far and getting good speeds, it's pretty much the same on WiFi also.

Think sometimes things just don't like to work together.

Also if your speed has dropped to 20mb or so then make sure you are not running any games at the time. Select the Menu on the Dash on the game and select Quit. Seems when you have any game running in the Background it limits the download Speed.

I'm with Virgin using a Superhub 3 and have had this problem for years and never got to the bottom of it. Only affects a wired connection. It would drop signal for what seemed like a nano second about once an hour, but that was enough to be booted from online game, iPlayer etc. Only solution I found was putting Superhub into modem mode and connect to a Asus router. Not ideal, but even engineers we're stumped.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom