Chief NL

For now I've decided the best solution is to connect my XSX to soundbar so I get proper audio but 4K60Hz. I don't notice the difference in image quality really but the audio for a lot of games is so much better, not to mention that I use my XSX as our blu ray player as well so for movies it's really the only option.

By the time games are being made in native 4K120Hz I'll see what the options are then.

dpbasnett

Standard Member
For now I've decided the best solution is to connect my XSX to soundbar so I get proper audio but 4K60Hz. I don't notice the difference in image quality really but the audio for a lot of games is so much better, not to mention that I use my XSX as our blu ray player as well so for movies it's really the only option.

By the time games are being made in native 4K120Hz I'll see what the options are then.
It's annoying. We spend thousands on gear that just doesn't communicate well.

Marcusdr

Standard Member
Microsoft know about this issue but refuse to admit it because it would cause a massive recall to fix. When there is already a shortage of consoles that is not something they can afford.
I have been a loyal customer since the original Xbox and I am extremely disappointed that they have not resolved this issue.
As discussed on the Microsoft support forum which Microsoft reps briefly responded to it effects all brands of TV/Soundbar so is clearly a Microsoft issue.

By the time games are being made in native 4K120Hz I'll see what the options are then

Microsoft know about this issue but refuse to admit it because it would cause a massive recall to fix. When there is already a shortage of consoles that is not something they can afford.
I have been a loyal customer since the original Xbox and I am extremely disappointed that they have not resolved this issue.
As discussed on the Microsoft support forum which Microsoft reps briefly responded to it effects all brands of TV/Soundbar so is clearly a Microsoft issue.

It's nothing to do with the series X it happened on the one X too if you plug directly into the soundbar then the issues are gone.but you then have other issues like no vrr or 120hz etc so this shows it's a way LG processes sound through ARC

dpbasnett

Standard Member
It's nothing to do with the series X it happened on the one X too if you plug directly into the soundbar then the issues are gone.but you then have other issues like no vrr or 120hz etc so this shows it's a way LG processes sound through ARC
It is the series X. I have the same issue plugged in to an avr it's awful.

It is the series X. I have the same issue plugged in to an avr it's awful.
It's not the series X lol it's happened on all Xboxs even my ps5 yes I know it's not Dolby Atmos and just Dolby sound has lag but not as bad it's a TV issue it's been like this on LG oleds since time began

stephentw

Not sure if this is entirely related but it's an Xbox sound issue. I use the SX through eARC on a Panasonic JZ OLED to an AVR to get 120 fps and Atmos or multichannel PCM.

Problem is the sound cuts out then handshakes again occassionally but only when 4k120 is selected in display settings on the Xbox. 4k60 is flawless.

It's definitely the Xbox though, doesn't happen with 4k120 on PS5 using the same ports and cables.

dpbasnett

Standard Member
Not sure if this is entirely related but it's an Xbox sound issue. I use the SX through eARC on a Panasonic JZ OLED to an AVR to get 120 fps and Atmos or multichannel PCM.

Problem is the sound cuts out then handshakes again occassionally but only when 4k120 is selected in display settings on the Xbox. 4k60 is flawless.

It's definitely the Xbox though, doesn't happen with 4k120 on PS5 using the same ports and cables.
I'm xsx to Sony AVR, eARC to Panasonic Ex750b. Horrendous delay on Atmos. Can't clear it. Ridiculous.

What Sky shows have you found in Atmos? So far I've only found a couple of movies. Ridiculous in that they have no search function for it.
I don't really watch films through sky so I'm not actively paying attention the lag I noticed was during the football but now I plugged the q box in to the soundbar there is no lag

dpbasnett

Standard Member
I don't really watch films through sky so I'm not actively paying attention the lag I noticed was during the football but now I plugged the q box in to the soundbar there is no lag
Mainly noticeable on HT analysis I guess. Nothing worse when it's people talking and its way off.

Halo infinite cut scenes on XSX are so so bad. Think I'm just gonna can it and use 5.1 uncompressed and let the AVR upscale the heights.

Marcusdr

Standard Member
I had the same issue with my original V1 Sky Q box. Sky replaced it with a V3 box and never had a problem since.

markb1980

There was a problem with sky Atmos football having lag for a period of time. I still think it’s an Xbox issue and the way they do Atmos over eARC.

Passagier57

Novice Member
I experience the same audio lag. It is definitly a Xbox problem. Not only Xbox Series X, but also Xbox One X, if you use the HDMI output for your audio, instead of the SPDIF output at the Xbox One X (sadly doesn't exist at the Xbox Series anymore).

Since one of the latest Xbox Software Updates, there is an additional audio option in the settings. This option allows apps on the Xbox (such als Blu-ray Player, Netflix and Disney+) to directly send the audio to the source (TV or AV receiver). If you enable this, you have no Dolby Atmos Sound lag coming from the Xbox. In this case the Xbox doesn't process any sound signal before the HDMI output.

Sadly, this option doesn't exist for Games. But it proves, that the Problem ist in the Xbox itself processing the Dolby Atmos signal and causing the audio lag. There is no difference, if I plug the Xbox in my Samsung Q80T TV or directly in my Marantz NR1711 AV receiver.

Since I tested all sorts of setups and settings, you can ask me for help, but the issue can't be completly fixed. Microsoft should definitly adress this in a future update. I suggest it Is a software issue, and not a hardware issue at the Xbox. Since it appears to be the same on Xbox Series and Xbox One consoles.

dpbasnett

Standard Member
I experience the same audio lag. It is definitly a Xbox problem. Not only Xbox Series X, but also Xbox One X, if you use the HDMI output for your audio, instead of the SPDIF output at the Xbox One X (sadly doesn't exist at the Xbox Series anymore).

Since one of the latest Xbox Software Updates, there is an additional audio option in the settings. This option allows apps on the Xbox (such als Blu-ray Player, Netflix and Disney+) to directly send the audio to the source (TV or AV receiver). If you enable this, you have no Dolby Atmos Sound lag coming from the Xbox. In this case the Xbox doesn't process any sound signal before the HDMI output.

Sadly, this option doesn't exist for Games. But it proves, that the Problem ist in the Xbox itself processing the Dolby Atmos signal and causing the audio lag. There is no difference, if I plug the Xbox in my Samsung Q80T TV or directly in my Marantz NR1711 AV receiver.

Since I tested all sorts of setups and settings, you can ask me for help, but the issue can't be completly fixed. Microsoft should definitly adress this in a future update. I suggest it Is a software issue, and not a hardware issue at the Xbox. Since it appears to be the same on Xbox Series and Xbox One consoles.
I noticed that but I still get a lot of judder on the TV apps due to being in the UK and the 50/60hz not auto switching depending on content. Have up and got a firestick instead and that's been fine.

Passagier57

Novice Member
I noticed that but I still get a lot of judder on the TV apps due to being in the UK and the 50/60hz not auto switching depending on content. Have up and got a firestick instead and that's been fine.
I am sorry for that. There is anoption in the xbox advanced video settings to allow 50hz content, but I think you already know and it doesn't work. In Switzerland we don't have this problem.

StixxUK

Standard Member
I've got this same issue with a Samsung TV (QN94A)

Seems to be a combination of TV, eARC and Xbox that just brings a delay in.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification