Chief NL

I can't imagine that this hasn't been brought up on here before but I can't find any thread about it so I'll make one:

I own a 77" LG C1, a Samsung HW-Q900A and a Xbox Series X. Last night (like many of you I assume) I downloaded the Halo Infinite campaign and started playing, only to be very annoyed by the sound delay there is when you have the console set to Dolby Atmos.

Now I've read plenty of posts on this on the Microsoft forums, Reddit etc. but I hadn't experienced it for myself. Even if I played a 4K bluray with Atmos soundtrack there wasn't any noticeable delay. Well with Infinite there definitely is! Depending on settings it's a bit more or a bit less but it's there constantly and it's very distracting.

I've tried 2 options: Xbox connected to TV (all HDMI 2.1 cables of course) and TV via eARC to soundbar. This way I get the full HDMI 2.1 functionality (4K120Hz, VRR, ALLM etc.) and soundbar displays Dolby Atmos as soon as my Xbox starts up. The sound sounds absolutely amazing but it's just constantly approximately 0,5 secs late. Very annoying during shooter games.
The other option is connect Xbox to soundbar HDMI IN. These are HDMI 2.1 ports but don't support 4K120Hz plus VRR etc. to be passed through. The image then goes from soundbar to TV via eARC still. This limits me to 4K60Hz gaming (or 1440p120Hz but don't see the point in that) but gives me proper amazing audio.

Now I've been asking myself all day what do I prefer? To be honest because there's no games in native 120Hz you don't see the difference between 60 and 120Hz (or at least I don't) so maybe the better option is to keep Xbox connected via soundbar until there's a solution for this. Although I'm no expert though but it seems to me that the max. bandwidth of 40Gbps of the Xbox and the C1's HDMI ports might just not be enough to process all the video and audio data?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and I'm secretly hoping that someone has found a solution for this.

Cheers.

cuke2u

Not much help but the Q900A soundbar HDMI ports are not 2.1. Ideally you should have the xbox connected to the C1, as there are plenty of games that support 120hz refresh. Then follow the Q950A soundbar thread within that forum for any answers, or the LG C1 TV thread as well.

Chief NL

The C1 forum seems to be the more active one but I find it belongs here because I’m in the corner with the people that believe that this is an Xbox issue and not LG. Haven’t noticed any delays when watching 4K Blu-ray Discs, hadn’t even noticed it with Xbox until I played Halo Infinite.

Addition to what I said before: what I find odd is that when I put my tv on Passthrough in the audio settings, my Xbox won’t even give me Dolby Atmos as an option. I have to leave it at Auto to get Atmos as an option. Even though everything I read all people say: put your tv on passthrough. Am I missing a setting?

I’ll put this in the C1 thread as well to see if people there have similar issues.

aquinod

Novice Member
Also having this problem, but for all video apps. It varies for each one (disney, netflix, prime, etc.). Didn't have this problem until I routed xbox s directly to LG C1 to take advantage of 120 hz and other features (my onkyo tx-nr646 supports passthrough only up to 60 hz at 4k). So my option is either lose max video features and keep atmos, or have both but with a horrible audio delay.

I feel like this is an LG C1 problem rather than an xbox problem. Can't really prove it, but intuitively it feels like there is a delay in sending the audio over arc back to the receiver, not the original signal sent from the xbox.

Also having this problem, but for all video apps. It varies for each one (disney, netflix, prime, etc.). Didn't have this problem until I routed xbox s directly to LG C1 to take advantage of 120 hz and other features (my onkyo tx-nr646 supports passthrough only up to 60 hz at 4k). So my option is either lose max video features and keep atmos, or have both but with a horrible audio delay.

I feel like this is an LG C1 problem rather than an xbox problem. Can't really prove it, but intuitively it feels like there is a delay in sending the audio over arc back to the receiver, not the original signal sent from the xbox.
As said it's been an issue of lg oledsTVs as far back as time began

cuke2u

Many manufacturer's TV's suffer from audio delays when a soundbar is used and the source is connected directly to the tv - it's not a new issue. My own Samsung had this but now has been cured with the recent beta firmware that included eARC. It seems that with the C1 the eARC implementation isn't as good as Samsungs.
On the other hand, if I connect my xbox sx directly to the tv the soundbar refuses to detect dolby atmos from the xbox thus I am forced to either connect the xbox to my soundbar, and not have 120hz refresh, or connect it to the tv thus losing DA. It has been established that it is the the soundbar causing this as earlier Samsung soundbar's, such as the Q90R, work fine with my TV and the xbox..

Last edited:

Chief NL

Hmm well at least it seems that this problem will eventually be solved by a firmware update of one of the other. Guess it’s first world problems hehe.

Hmm well at least it seems that this problem will eventually be solved by a firmware update of one of the other. Guess it’s first world problems hehe.
I wouldn't put all your hopes into it mate like I said the c7 still has issues and that's now 4+ years old

Kotatsu Neko

I use DTS 5.1 on my B7. I lose Atmos but DTS is the only way to defeat the Xbox lag on LG OLEDs, if you're using ARC. Kind of a shame LG strippec out DTS support but couldn't be bothered to fix Atmos.

markb1980

I am pretty sure it is not just with LG TV’s. There are many reports of the audio delay with Xbox consoles that date back a long time and not all of them are when using LG TV’s.

aquinod

Novice Member
It is also happening with people that aren't using xbox though. So it might also be with other TVs and xboxes, but there is definitely something specific with LG TVs.

Greyman43

It’s a TV problem not an Xbox problem, common on LG’s. I use ATMOS on Xbox via a Philips OLED and have no delay issues.

sgar

Standard Member
It’s a TV problem not an Xbox problem, common on LG’s. I use ATMOS on Xbox via a Philips OLED and have no delay issues.

Well, I doubt its a tv porblem, I have a Sony TV and sound delay when Atmos is enabled. Sound goes trough my AVR via eARC. I understand there is no delay if you use the likes of the wireless headset (havent tried it myself yet), lots of posts on the net, not an LG issue at all.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Hi @Chief NL, I started playing Halo Infinite last night and came into the forums to check on this: I had to set my Denon AVR to an unprecedented -185ms to get the audio synced! I’ve not had that with any other bit of kit I’ve used. Once synced the Atmos sound is absolutely stunning and I forgot about it, but I couldn’t believe how much I had to change it to get the audio right.

Well, I doubt its a tv porblem, I have a Sony TV and sound delay when Atmos is enabled. Sound goes trough my AVR via eARC. I understand there is no delay if you use the likes of the wireless headset (havent tried it myself yet), lots of posts on the net, not an LG issue at all.
It has been talked about lots it's how lg and some other companies process Dolby Atmos so it is a TV problem

Greyman43

My Xbox Series X outputs ATMOS to my Philips OLED, that then goes from the TV to a Sonos Arc via HDMI ARC (doesn’t require eARC since it’s lossy DD+ ATMOS anyway) and it’s all in sync. Surely this excludes it being a problem with the console since that’s the only constant factor in the equation for all here in the discussion yet only some users are experiencing a delay, suggesting the variables (AVR’s and TV’s) are causing the issue.

sgar

Standard Member
My Xbox Series X outputs ATMOS to my Philips OLED, that then goes from the TV to a Sonos Arc via HDMI ARC (doesn’t require eARC since it’s lossy DD+ ATMOS anyway) and it’s all in sync. Surely this excludes it being a problem with the console since that’s the only constant factor in the equation for all here in the discussion yet only some users are experiencing a delay, suggesting the variables (AVR’s and TV’s) are causing the issue.
You are likely right there :) ....Still, shame after 13+ months since xbsx came out, this hasnt been fixed by whomever/whatever is cousing it.

Chief NL

Hmm well if Philips OLED’s don’t have this problem that’s a big argument for me to get a Philips tv for my game room. The C1 is in the living room, I’ve decided to connect the XSX via the soundbar now to get the full Atmos experience. Because I agree that the sound in Infinite is absolutely amazing! I don’t notice the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz but it does annoy me that I cannot use the full potential of the tv and console.

Indiana Jones

The DF tech review of Halo Infinite mentions that the Atmos output has a delay but doesn’t go not any further detail.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Oh and Halo Infinite has completely messed up black levels in the opening pre rendered cut scene, which I imagine they will fix. Standard gameplay and in-game cutscenes are fine

Indiana Jones

Oh and Halo Infinite has completely messed up black levels in the opening pre rendered cut scene, which I imagine they will fix. Standard gameplay and in-game cutscenes are fine
It has screw gamma levels for the menus/cutscenes, the cutscenes stutter, the mouth movements update at 30fps instead of 60, the Dolby Vision has screwed nit levels, the VRR is broken, don’t think I need to go on anymore but personally I am going to leave it a few weeks for a couple more patches to hopefully fix most if not all the issues I mentioned.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Ah yes thanks for that info, I also noticed stuttering in cut scenes but I’ve only played for a bit so haven’t seen that many

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification