Xbox Series X Black Screen

DarthMaster09

Novice Member
Basically for me, when I open up a game that supports HDR, 85% of the time the screen goes black for a second (with the HDR logo in the top right corner of the screen) then changes to HDR as the game loads up which is completely normal. Unfortunately the issue for me is about 15% of the time, when changing to HDR, my screen would stay black but oddly I can still use my Series X with a black screen so I don't see what I'm doing at all. To fix this, I just play a guessing game as if I'm blind. While the screen is black I press the Xbox Home button and then Press the A button so that it goes back to the home screen and the HDR mode gets disabled and I no longer have a black screen. I really hope that my Series X doesn't have a permanent hardware issue such as the HDMI port or something and that this issue is just Xbox software related and can be patched with a future update or something. My Series X is the limited edition Halo Infinite 20th Anniversary model so if it's defective, I'm really screwed because it's sold out everywhere. I would have to buy another one on eBay for over $1000 and I don't want to go through the big hassle of servicing it to Microsoft. :/ Is it possible that my Series X is having trouble syncing with my LG C9 OLED TV and maybe they're not 100% compatible? Do you think this problem would get fixed if I bought I newer TV model that supports HDR and all the other new technology? I really want to get the new 2022 Samsung QD OLED TV this spring so would this do the trick? The QD OLED technology is basically a hybrid of Samsung Quantum Dot technology and OLED technology so you get the best of both.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
It will be a handshake issue. Check your TV firmware is up to date. Do a full reboot of your Xbox (full power down).

Failing that try changing HDMI cables.

As for QD OLED only Sony have revealed an actual TV with that tech the A95K. Samsung have yet to announce an actual Tv model with it in. So doubt any will be available this spring.

They are also likely to cost £5000-£10000.

DarthMaster09

Novice Member
It will be a handshake issue. Check your TV firmware is up to date. Do a full reboot of your Xbox (full power down).

Failing that try changing HDMI cables.

As for QD OLED only Sony have revealed an actual TV with that tech the A95K. Samsung have yet to announce an actual Tv model with it in. So doubt any will be available this spring.

They are also likely to cost £5000-£10000.
So I have great news, my C9 wasn't up to date and now it has the latest firmware installed (Software Version 05.10.25) which may solve the black screen issue. However I'm having other issues.

You know when it gives you that message in About This TV saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update? What happened was I turned off my TV and turned it back on which is like restarting it but the message saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update was still there and didn't get cleared. I then accidentally factory reset my TV thinking that it would only restart my TV so I had to setup the TV again from the beginning and I'm really frustrated. Now after factory resetting my TV, the message in About This TV saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update is no longer there. Do you think factory resetting my TV did the trick and still completed the software update or did it make me permanently lose the software update that should of been completed by restarting my TV?

iwb100

Distinguished Member
So I have great news, my C9 wasn't up to date and now it has the latest firmware installed (Software Version 05.10.25) which may solve the black screen issue. However I'm having other issues.

You know when it gives you that message in About This TV saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update? What happened was I turned off my TV and turned it back on which is like restarting it but the message saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update was still there and didn't get cleared. I then accidentally factory reset my TV thinking that it would only restart my TV so I had to setup the TV again from the beginning and I'm really frustrated. Now after factory resetting my TV, the message in About This TV saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update is no longer there. Do you think factory resetting my TV did the trick and still completed the software update or did it make me permanently lose the software update that should of been completed by restarting my TV?
Factory reset doesn’t delete software or revert software. Many of us wish it did. But it doesnt.

Go to software update and check for updates. That way you will know if you have the latest but I assume you do.

It’s possible the update didn’t install but you can download it again.

For restart switch your TV off and leave a minute then turn back on. Should install then.

DarthMaster09

Novice Member
Factory reset doesn’t delete software or revert software. Many of us wish it did. But it doesnt.

Go to software update and check for updates. That way you will know if you have the latest but I assume you do.

It’s possible the update didn’t install but you can download it again.

For restart switch your TV off and leave a minute then turn back on. Should install then.
The message saying that you have to restart your TV in order to complete the update only went away after factory resetting my C9, is this ok? Did the software update still complete and get successfully installed on my C9 after factory resetting my C9 despite not getting a notification in the top right corner of the screen saying that the update got completed? I hope it didn't glitch and I never got the update whatever it was. When I check for updates in About This TV, it says that no updates are found and on the website it says that the latest software is Version 05.10.25 which is the exact software that I currently have installed. So everything seems fine and I have nothing to worry about despite of the issue I had with the software update? I'm still worried because what if the software update that may have not completed after factory resetting my C9 had nothing to do with Version 05.10.25 and was something completely different? I'll never know what the software update is that may have not completed after factory resetting my C9 unfortunately.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom