Xbox Series X Atmos to HDMI 2.0 receiver

E1000

Novice Member
Hi,
I'm going round in circles in my head trying come up with a solution to this. I have a Pioneer LX 303 and would rather not replace it as it's generally very good and is only a couple of years old. My key objective is to have Atmos sound and all the gaming features with HDMI 2.1.

The setup I currently have:
Panasonic TX-40EX700
Pioneer LX-303
Xbox One X

The components I plan to upgrade:
OLED with HDMI 2.1
Xbox Series X

Currently I connect over HDMI 2.0 Xbox > receiver > TV with the receiver taking the audio out along the way.

The strategy so far was that I'd connect the Xbox to the TV directly to create the HDMI 2.1 connection. The TV would have eARC but the receiver wouldn't so would need some way to get the ATMOS signal from the Xbox to the receiver.

I strongly suspect the answer is get a new receiver but before doing so I wanted to double check before 2021 becomes very expensive. Apologies for any basics I've missed as not an expert.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe the Pioneer has 4K and HDR pass through abilities with HDCP 2.2 so your connection to the new TV will be fine through the Pioneer. If frame rate is your worry for which you need HDMI 2.1 then you would have to connect the XBox directly to the TV. Because the Pioneer is ARC then you will be limited to SD audio being passed back from the TV.

To benefit from the new technology you would certainly need an eARC compliant receiver for HD audio. There is still some problems with frame rate because of the chips being used a workaround for which would need a direct connection to the TV and only eARC is going allow for HD audio return. A new generation Denon would be needed.

I'm not a gamer others will hopefully chime in.

E1000

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

I believe the Pioneer has 4K and HDR pass through abilities with HDCP 2.2 so your connection to the new TV will be fine through the Pioneer. If frame rate is your worry for which you need HDMI 2.1 then you would have to connect the XBox directly to the TV. Because the Pioneer is ARC then you will be limited to SD audio being passed back from the TV.

To benefit from the new technology you would certainly need an eARC compliant receiver for HD audio. There is still some problems with frame rate because of the chips being used a workaround for which would need a direct connection to the TV and only eARC is going allow for HD audio return. A new generation Denon would be needed.

I'm not a gamer others will hopefully chime in.

Thanks. I've been a lurker for years but decided to take the plunge finally :)

Yeah, you confirm what I was thinking. I currently am able to get 4k and HDR through the TV via the receiver as you say. I'll probably wait for a while to update the AV receiver as kinda makes sense for the receivers to arrive with full HDMI 2.1 across all the inputs (as I have a fair few other bits connected up).

gibbsy

Thanks. I've been a lurker for years but decided to take the plunge finally :)

Yeah, you confirm what I was thinking. I currently am able to get 4k and HDR through the TV via the receiver as you say. I'll probably wait for a while to update the AV receiver as kinda makes sense for the receivers to arrive with full HDMI 2.1 across all the inputs (as I have a fair few other bits connected up).
I would leave receivers with 2.1 for a while, certainly until the chip problem has been sorted out.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom