Xbox series X and xbox 1

Paul Simons

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a series x xbox as well as a xbox 1 and was wondering

If I have my xbox series x in one room and the xbox 1 in the bedroom can I swap between them. Eg - playing on series X in one room then when I need to carry on playing on the xbox 1 and then go back to playing on the series X.

Is this possible as wasn't to set series X in home cinema room and have the xbox 1 on the bedroom but able to carry on playing the games whichever room I'm in. I appreciate I may need to externally store the games and have a 4tb external HD I store my games on and have the actual hard copy disc of the games.

In short yes. If your game saves are saved to the cloud then you just need to login with your account and you should be able to sync your saves on another box. If you have the game saved onto an external drive then that will make it easier if you're moving back and forth but you could just as well save the same game onto the internal drive if you preferred.

Edit You'll have to make sure that you've got access to the Xbox One version of any games that are also available as enhanced titles on Series X (though Smart Delivery should sort you out if you download a game on the Series X to an external drive as it gives you the option on downloading either version).

If you don't have the correct version when you plug it into the Xbox One then it will need to download the correct version if it's a Smart Delivery title.

Last edited:
Curious but do you need to exit a game in the series X so it's not in quick resume? Just thinking it's fine when you switch to the S but switching back it to the series X quick resume won't be synched to the current save from the one S. Does it just say that and spot you back to the menu or let you keep playing on the wrong save data? I've not picked up a series X just yet but this was my intention when I do.

I'd still like to see two way remote play so you can always okay the best version in your old Xbox one over the network of you wanted the benefits of the series X elsewhere in your home.

Curious but do you need to exit a game in the series X so it's not in quick resume? Just thinking it's fine when you switch to the S but switching back it to the series X quick resume won't be synched to the current save from the one S. Does it just say that and spot you back to the menu or let you keep playing on the wrong save data? I've not picked up a series X just yet but this was my intention when I do.
If you left a game in Quick Resume on an XSX or XSS and switched to a different console and loaded the same game under your profile, it would likely only load the last saved game state that was synced with the cloud.

Quick Resume is purely dumping the in-game state to allocated NVMe memory rather than uploading it. If a game saves very infrequently then depending on how far you get through a stage/level etc. then you might find yourself on a different console going back in time to where you might have been under Quick Resume.

I knew it was effectively a fancy dump of the system state when you suspend the game, just interested when the save states push and pull to the cloud when using it. Sounds like if you run two consoles it's something to be wary of when bouncing back and forth. I wonder if the peak to the cloud can actually tell when the same save profile is out of whack due to this.

I knew it was effectively a fancy dump of the system state when you suspend the game, just interested when the save states push and pull to the cloud when using it. Sounds like if you run two consoles it's something to be wary of when bouncing back and forth. I wonder if the peak to the cloud can actually tell when the same save profile is out of whack due to this.
Its not an issue. When you have a game in QR and then play on another console when you go back to console with QR state loaded you get a message to say words to the effect of 'game has been played elsewhere so will be re-loaded in full to preserve save status'. You just lose your QR state but that's of course what you want.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom