Xbox Series X and 4k Ultra HD Bluray Playback issues

tutu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm having issues playing back 4k Ultra HD blurays on my Xbox Series X.

My Xbox Series X is connected via HDMI cable supplied with the Series X directly to HDMI 1 on the TV on a 55 LG CX (with latest software update). Resolution is 4k@120Hz.

Video modes:
Allow 50Hz, 24Hz, auto-latency mode, variable refresh rate, 4k, HDR10, Dolby Vision are all enabled.

Allow YCC 4:2:2 is off.
Auto HDR is off.

Speaker settings:
Bitstream out, Bitstream format: Dolby Atmos.

Bluray settings:
Let my receiver decode audio - on

Lord of the Rings 4k Ultra HD Bluray:
Crackling audio:

Dolby Atmos constantly popping up top right:

I can disable Dolby Atmos in the LG TV settings however I still get a reminder to enable it during the film!

HDCP message sometimes:

Ghostbusters 2 4k Ultra HD Bluray
Dolby Atmos messages followed by black screen (the Xbox side bar can still be opened)

Independence Day 4k Ultra HD Bluray & Die Hard 1080p Blu ray
I have tried Die Hard Blu-Ray which has DTS HD Master Audio and Independence Day Ultra HD blu ray which has DTS:X on my Xbox Series X and I have the following issues.

With Audio settings set to "HDMI audio: Bistream out, Bitstream format: Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre" I get the error message from the Blu ray app "Your audio receiver can't decode this. Go to Settings -> Devices & connections -> Blu Ray, and deselect the option to let your receiver decode audio. Then play the disc again. (0x91d7000e).

I have tried setting bit stream format to: DTS or Dolby Digital and I get the same error message in the blu ray app.

I have also tried HDMI audio: 5.1 uncompressed and 7.1 uncompressed but the Xbox wont accept that setting with the error message "There was a problem using this setting. Make sure your audio receiver supports it. Also, make sure to choose at least one audio setting. Both cannot be off. (0x80bd0009)."

I have try Stereo uncompressed, I can go back to play the blu ray but I get the same error message that the audio receiver cannot decode this.

I haven't tried unticking let receiver decode audio.. would that help?

Does anyone else have these issues?

I've have also tried connecting up my old Xbox One X to the TV with it's supplied HDMI cable also and it had similar issues.

I’d suggest it’s your cable if you get it on the other Xbox

I’d suggest it’s your cable if you get it on the other Xbox

It did the same thing with the Xbox One X with its cable not the one used with Series X

I got DTS to work by deselecting let receiver decode the audio. But that is just a faff to toggle on and off depending if the title is DTS.

I experienced 3 blank screens in Die Hard last night but at least they were short.

May sound daft but sometimes cables are one way have you tried reversing it, I had a problem a few years ago like that

This is still a problem for me, watching about 4 minutes of Star Wars New Hope I will get a black screen. Menu still accessible. I've tried a certified HDMI 2.1 cable, as well as a different port on my LG CX.

I have been watching the UHD version of Pitch Black and not experienced any issues. I don't know what I seem to be getting right though. The xbox is connected directly to the tv..

Did you get this working correctly? I have an LG G1 and also trying to figure out the best settings for the xbox

Nope it's still broken.

Try the following.
Set Xbox to
Refresh rate 60hz, 5.1 uncompressed, turn off allow passthrough, turn off “let my receiver decode audio”

I just finished watching bohemian rhapsody UHD. Perfect

I heard this works: Remove the disc, Restart the console, Insert the disc and play. Seems simple but that's another work around.

My lg g1 experiences black screens during blu ray play back.
I called LG and they are aware of a issue but didnt seem to care that their tvs have compatibility issues with series x consoles! Ive arranged to return my Tv which is a shame 😡📺📦

My lg g1 experiences black screens during blu ray play back.
I called LG and they are aware of a issue but didnt seem to care that their tvs have compatibility issues with series x consoles! Ive arranged to return my Tv which is a shame 😡📺📦
Don't return your TV, It's a Xbox app problem. This is the solution that works for me every time I want to watch a Blu Ray: Remove the disc, Restart the console, Insert the disc and play. Works every time to avoid a black screen. I have a LG OLED CX.

Hi all
Has anyone turned 120hz off for blu ray play back? To avoid black screens?

Hi all
Has anyone turned 120hz off for blu ray play back? To avoid black screens?

I have it with or without 120hz mode.

252C6413-B76E-4433-9EAE-B210B1E3C1CB.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom