XBOX Series x - Always warm when Off

GsfDan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I just want to know if I am the only one with this or not.

Even when the Xbox Series X is turned off, the blu-ray side of the console is warm. I wouldn´t say ´hot´, but definitely warm enough.

Is this expected? Is this a consequence of removing the power brick on the Series X?

thank you!

Is the console actually 'off' or do you have it in standby? If it's in standby I think that would explain why as the console is in a low-power state so it can quickly boot when needed and check/pull-down any game updates etc. whilst in standby.

The last few Xbox consoles haven't had a power brick, so integrating into the console isn't anything new for Xbox. (One S was the first, then One X, then One All Digital)

Yes. In instant on mode mine is faintly warm to the touch with very slight cool air from the top (or side) fan.

Mine isn't. Mines absolutely cool, no warm air out the top fan.

Mine’s instant on, I’ve never touched it to see if it’s warm or not though, I’ll check tonight.

I’ve never heard the fan going yet, so it’s either really quiet or it’s not been needed.

Only really been playing AC Odyssey and Tetris so far though.

Is the console actually 'off' or do you have it in standby? If it's in standby I think that would explain why as the console is in a low-power state so it can quickly boot when needed and check/pull-down any game updates etc. whilst in standby.

The last few Xbox consoles haven't had a power brick, so integrating into the console isn't anything new for Xbox. (One S was the first, then One X, then One All Digital)

Yes, that was exactly the reason. I had the Instant-On mode. I changed it to Eco mode and it is now cool when off.

Thank you!

The back of the One X is warm when in instant-on as well, particularly around the middle. Never been concerned about it though, as it's actually on in a lower power state.

Power supplies will get warm and as the series x has a built-in one and technically on in instant on then it's not a surprise. Also when it is updating when off the fan comes on sometimes. Nothing different from when a desktop pc is in standby mode really..

On my One X I always used eco mode (except when I was downloading something) and whenever I shutdown into eco mode my tv would show ‘no signal’ after a short while. Now with the Series X, if I use eco mode, when the console is shut off I only get a black screen, so I’m presuming the tv is still getting a signal of some kind. The only way I can get the ‘no signal’ screen on tv, is by fully shutting down the Series X. Why is it different this time around 🤔.

On my One X I always used eco mode (except when I was downloading something) and whenever I shutdown into eco mode my tv would show ‘no signal’ after a short while. Now with the Series X, if I use eco mode, when the console is shut off I only get a black screen, so I’m presuming the tv is still getting a signal of some kind. The only way I can get the ‘no signal’ screen on tv, is by fully shutting down the Series X. Why is it different this time around 🤔.

Might be part of the rapid power on feature, the handshake would now take longer than the system does to be up and running.

Mine does not behave like this at all. It’s cold completely in instant on. No fan running nothing. Do you have an external drive attached? Perhaps powering that is causing the issue?

Mine does not behave like this at all. It’s cold completely in instant on. No fan running nothing. Do you have an external drive attached? Perhaps powering that is causing the issue?

Well there are other factors which will of course affect this, if someone has a completely up to date library and fast broadband then the console won’t need work as much while in Instant On mode so won’t generate as much heat but if someone has a massive library that is out of date with slow broadband then it will need to be on for far longer thus more heat generated.

For some the unit being warm while off is completely understandably while for others it will likely never be observed.

Nope, I'm same as you. Instant on mode, always cold, fan only seems to run a while after shutdown (also spoiled up once when updating, but never again since). And I have s HDD attached too so can't see that affecting it.

Well there are other factors which will of course affect this, if someone has a completely up to date library and fast broadband then the console won’t need work as much while in Instant On mode so won’t generate as much heat but if someone has a massive library that is out of date with slow broadband then it will need to be on for far longer thus more heat generated.

For some the unit being warm while off is completely understandably while for others it will likely never be observed.

I've got over 200 games installed, with regular updates and internet that rarely achieves 30meg, still always cold when off, and rarely see the fan running.

Unless you want your games to get updates or use stuff like quick resume I don't see any reason to use instant on now.

energy saving mode takes about 15-20 seconds to load up dash, Im surprised how much quicker it is from the one x, its actually pretty amazing how much faster it is, the one x was something like 45-60secs or more.

Unless you want your games to get updates or use stuff like quick resume I don't see any reason to use instant on now.

energy saving mode takes about 15-20 seconds to load up dash, Im surprised how much quicker it is from the one x, its actually pretty amazing how much faster it is, the one x was something like 45-60secs or more.

I'm not putting mine in Vampyr mode until they improve it, I just don’t like the idea of it sitting there constantly using 30w of power when it’s not even doing anything, all it has to do is draw enough power to listen for the signal from the controller. At first I thought it was only wasting that energy when downloading which would be fine, but nah it uses it for no obvious reason.

PS5 rest mode is a bit buggy at the moment, but at least it’s designed to only sip energy, like 0.5w-2w at most, way better than it was on the PS4 Pro. Thankfully I don’t play the kind of games that need constant large updates, so it’s not much hassle waiting the few seconds for it to power on from a cold boot.

I checked mine earlier, not played for a couple of days and mine was definitely warm, especially around the middle. Fan wasn't going though. This in instant on obviously. I might change it to eco soon, as above, doesn't really take long to fire up now. Would just miss out on the remote install of games and updates.

The console updating while asleep for me is essential with such poor internet I’d never get to play my games!!
I’m happy to accept the cost of it in standby

I’ve got an energy monitor that I’m going to plug the series X into this week and I’ll check consumption at various points while in instant on mode

I honestly can’t see it pulling 30W constantly

Last edited:
Screenshot_20201122-125625_Chrome.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom