Xbox Series S/X Controllers

Just like you shouldn't have to buy extra warranties to cover burn in on OLED TV's but life isn't always fair. Just highlighting an option for people. I'm capable of component level repair but for the sake of a few quid I'd rather not have to worry about the what if. For the record saying it shouldn't happen if it fails outside of 1 year isn't going to fix it for you.

Well it’s not a few quid, if the extended warranty is basically mandatory as the product is not actually fit for purpose then it’s part of the total cost of the product so you weigh it up when you consider whether it’s worth spending that much on a controller. Elite 1 was £129, Elite 2 is £159. If they bring out a Series 3 for £179, so around £200 with 'extended' warranty then I would really have to think about whether the product was worth it.

There’s also the fact that I don’t want to pratt about returning it at all, I’ve done this many a time and it’s a complete hassle for me going to the library to print out forms because my work doesn’t let me print anything. Then they closed the drop off point in my town, so I needed to hike a couple miles to the tiny village next to me which is the next closest point.

So if I start hearing reports of failing Elite 3 then there’s no way I’m buying it as all I want is a reliable device not one that is just sitting there waiting to fail on me.

Having never used an elite controller I find it hard to justify spending nearly £200 on one. Is it really worth that much more over the standard?

Dont ever use one - once you have you wont want to go back and the normal controllers feel like toys. But I question the value, £60 for a regular controller and £159 for the elite 2....I have owned both elites 1 and 2 and I really like them, but I got the first for "free" as an offer on a Xbox one console bundle and the 2nd as a birthday present (that I asked for) so I didnt have to buy them myself sadly I am hooked now and cannot go back. Also its a feel thing for me, it totally doesn't make me a better player but I dont care.

Also I use it on the PC and on the xbox Series X so I get a lot of game time using it which does help with the my feelings about the price.

Ordered the Victrix Gambit today as it's down to £64 on Amazon. Also got a quote of around £40 plus postage to repair the Elite Series 2 via UberMicro which I will go ahead with. Hoping the Gambit will replace the PowerA Spectre.

Will post updates once arrived.

OK its a Wired controller... not for me I think - but I would be very interested in your experience with it compared to the Elite. Especially in the feel/weight/trigger side of things as I don't need the eSports benefits personally but always keen to know about a bargain alternative to it.

Dont ever use one - once you have you wont want to go back and the normal controllers feel like toys. But I question the value, £60 for a regular controller and £159 for the elite 2....I have owned both elites 1 and 2 and I really like them, but I got the first for "free" as an offer on a Xbox one console bundle and the 2nd as a birthday present (that I asked for) so I didnt have to buy them myself sadly I am hooked now and cannot go back. Also its a feel thing for me, it totally doesn't make me a better player but I dont care.

Also I use it on the PC and on the xbox Series X so I get a lot of game time using it which does help with the my feelings about the price.
It’s not my experience at all, I only use my Elite models for games that truly benefit from the paddles, I’m quite happy returning to my standard pad, the Forza pad or my design lab model. They weigh a lot less than the Elite models and I find the racing grips on the Forza pad to be less smooth and slippery than what they use on Elite 2. Only thing I miss when I’m not use the Elite is the trigger stops.

When I had an Elite v1 I liked the extra weight vs a standard controller and the trigger stops were handy for FPS games but I found the paddles uncomfortable to use and didn't really like the extra thumbstick options. The grips ended up peeling off whilst still in warranty so I got it replaced then sold it.

Tbh I probably would buy another if they manage to sort the QC issues out. I'm more than capable of fixing them when they break and have done with a good few controllers from various systems over the years, but for the price you pay for an Elite they really should last.

Well it’s not a few quid, if the extended warranty is basically mandatory as the product is not actually fit for purpose then it’s part of the total cost of the product so you weigh it up when you consider whether it’s worth spending that much on a controller. Elite 1 was £129, Elite 2 is £159. If they bring out a Series 3 for £179, so around £200 with 'extended' warranty then I would really have to think about whether the product was worth it.

There’s also the fact that I don’t want to pratt about returning it at all, I’ve done this many a time and it’s a complete hassle for me going to the library to print out forms because my work doesn’t let me print anything. Then they closed the drop off point in my town, so I needed to hike a couple miles to the tiny village next to me which is the next closest point.

So if I start hearing reports of failing Elite 3 then there’s no way I’m buying it as all I want is a reliable device not one that is just sitting there waiting to fail on me.
Actually it was less than £12 and its great for piece of mind. I bought the pad and warranty for less than £160. I have a series 1 elite too which still works but I wanted the low latency of the series 2. If you have an issue, you ring them and they'd either send a repairer out to your home or arrange a prepaid courier to pickup so there is no hassle.

If you don't think they're worth it or aren't up to snuff or overpriced then that's fine.

Incidentally they're £142.97 on Amazon at the moment.

I was tempted to buy another Elite 2 the other day as they were dirt cheap (just over £60) from the MS Poland store, but I’m trying my best not to throw good money after bad these days. I’ve still got one that works so-so, it’s just got irritating slightly sticking triggers.

When Elite 3 rolls around I’m having a hard time seeing myself buying that for £180 or whatever it launches at, I don’t trust MS to build the thing to last.

None of the third party controllers appeal to me in the slightest, all of them look vastly inferior to the design and ergonomics of the MS pad. Perhaps the latest Scuff would be suitable but I’d never buy one of those, that company also has a terrible reputation for reliability and being American only gives you a measly six months warranty. I'd be devastated if my £250 controller gave up the ghost after just six months!.

Is the Elite 2 controller still on sale on the MS Poland site? If so, do you have a link? I've had a quick look and can't find it.

They are still €180 on the MS Irish site. About 6 months ago they dropped to €105 on the MS Netherlands site. I told a friend about it, he bought one, and by the time I got to buying myself one the next day they were already gone back to full price!

It works out as £135

Gambit arrived earlier.
Only had an hour on it but straight away it felt better in the hand than the Razer. It feels very close to the normal Xbox controller. Has a bit of weight to it but nothing compared to the Elite 2.
Thumbsticks are still slightly wider but not as noticeable as the Razer so feels 10x more comfortable than that controller.
The App is rubbish but works, it's just a bit complicated to make adjustments but the good thing is the buttons on the back can be mapped without the app. Trigger stops are very good, think it has 4 positions. Comes with a case, 2 extra thumbsticks, extra back buttons, extra D pad, extra gates and a purple rubber faceplate also. Didn't realise you also get Dolby Atmos Access with it also so that's a bonus if you don't already have it.
Build quality is OK, feels closer to the cheapness of the PowerA Spectre than the Elite or Razer controllers but it's OK. No real grips on it but I've never had an issue with that. The rubber face plate is a bit more grippy but then the thumbsticks rub against the rubber so feels a bit weird.
Back buttons are in a better place so feels more like the elite or spectre.

Need more time with it but initial impressions are good especially for £64 considering the official controllers are £60 I think.

PXL_20220505_092710718.jpg
PXL_20220505_092721144.jpg
PXL_20220505_092834079.jpg
PXL_20220505_092902154.jpg

And yes I know the Elite needs a really good clean, it's been sat in a drawer for 2 months !

Are genuine Xbox controllers in short supply at the moment?? Just tried to order one and either no one has them or they are stupid prices, Amazon want £90 for one

Are genuine Xbox controllers in short supply at the moment?? Just tried to order one and either no one has them or they are stupid prices, Amazon want £90 for one
Just been looking there and it does seem to be the case they are in short supply. Couldn't find normal priced controllers in the usual places!

Just been looking there and it does seem to be the case they are in short supply. Couldn't find normal priced controllers in the usual places!

Can you not just buy them direct from Microsoft for £54.99 then?, I just looked and it let me add Black, White, Red or Blue to my cart, it’s only the Volt green that you can’t order. I always buy direct from MS, they let you change reward points into £5 vouchers so it’s very rare I pay full price for anything.

If you wanted a funky coloured one then you could always order the most basic design lab option, they do take a couple weeks to arrive though so no good if you need one quickly.

Can you not just buy them direct from Microsoft for £54.99 then?, I just looked and it let me add Black, White, Red or Blue to my cart, it’s only the Volt green that you can’t order. I always buy direct from MS, they let you change reward points into £5 vouchers so it’s very rare I pay full price for anything.

If you wanted a funky coloured one then you could always order the most basic design lab option, they do take a couple weeks to arrive though so no good if you need one quickly.
Cant find anywhere on the design labs website where you can pay with Microsoft credit, I can if I order a standard controller

That sucks, I was very tempted to get a Design Labs controller with my rewards points. I guess I'll just keep saving for the inevitable Elite 3.

That must have changed since Christmas as I ordered my daughter's design lab controllers around then using Microsoft credit.

That sucks, I was very tempted to get a Design Labs controller with my rewards points. I guess I'll just keep saving for the inevitable Elite 3.
Agreed.

Not that I was close to ordering a Design Lab controller, but the last time I went through to play around (a good few months back) it was still linked in with the Microsoft account and other payment methods including MS / Xbox credit.

Had a quick read through the thread, I've considered an elite but seem to have quite a few problems so stayed away... also been looking into a powerA but read countless issues with mic buzzing in party chat any had this issue?

Looked at that gambit controller looks promising hows yours holding up @King Tones

Had a quick read through the thread, I've considered an elite but seem to have quite a few problems so stayed away... also been looking into a powerA but read countless issues with mic buzzing in party chat any had this issue?

Looked at that gambit controller looks promising hows yours holding up @King Tones

The Elite is great and I am sure recent versions seem to not have as many issues. Granted mine has had issues I am still happy with it. Just waiting on it to get repaired.

I have the PowerA Spectre and Gambit and much prefer the Gambit but the PowerA for under £30 is a decent controller that is very close to the normal controller, just not as weighty due to it being wired.

I have the Wireless Headset so never plug into the controller nowadays.

I am really happy with the Gambit to be honest, the paddles work great and the trigger stops are better than the Elite imo. You don't get the rumble in the triggers which I prefer now and helps with aim. Overall very happy and it has been my go to controller since May with no issues to be honest.

It's priced at around £80 at the moment which imo is too much, sub £60 and cheaper than an official wireless one then I think it is a bargain for the features you get with it.

The Elite is great and I am sure recent versions seem to not have as many issues. Granted mine has had issues I am still happy with it. Just waiting on it to get repaired.

I have the PowerA Spectre and Gambit and much prefer the Gambit but the PowerA for under £30 is a decent controller that is very close to the normal controller, just not as weighty due to it being wired.

I have the Wireless Headset so never plug into the controller nowadays.

I am really happy with the Gambit to be honest, the paddles work great and the trigger stops are better than the Elite imo. You don't get the rumble in the triggers which I prefer now and helps with aim. Overall very happy and it has been my go to controller since May with no issues to be honest.

It's priced at around £80 at the moment which imo is too much, sub £60 and cheaper than an official wireless one then I think it is a bargain for the features you get with it.
Thanks for the insight mate, not too worried about price but the more you read into reviews in general you will never really buy any controller haha suppose that goes with anything though doesn’t it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom