Xbox Series S/X Controllers

King Tones

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Thought a thread should exist to discuss all the different controllers you can get as after wanting a new one I see there are so many choices of 3rd Party ones !!!

So I have an Elite Series 2 which I use as my main controller on my Series S and Series X so it causes hassle having to sync between them.
I was looking at getting a 2nd Elite but not sure I want to pay that much just for a 2nd Controller so I have been looking at 3rd Party Ones.

I would like one with Trigger stops and 2 extra buttons or paddles.

Does anyone have any experience with the Power A Ones ?

Amazon product ASIN B08XXWJ787
Amazon product ASIN B095JNZGC4

The one for £35 looks like it would do the job as a 2nd controller which I can just leave wired up to my Series S or vice versa and not have to worry about Syncing the Elite.

Any other suggestions ?

Well for £35 I must say I am impressed.
I need some more time playing with it but easy enough to programme the back buttons how I want them and easy enough to set the lights up for it. Buttons and Build Quality actually feel pretty good.

PXL_20220121_145146579.jpg

PXL_20220121_145622663.jpg

PXL_20220121_145757992.jpg

PXL_20220121_150436781.jpg

1642779645787.png

If anyone needs the 20th anniversary controller Argos are showing stock in various stores. Picking mine up later, having missed on it before Christmas.

Well my Elite Series 2 is just starting to fall apart now, both bumpers are useless and other buttons just seem to not work sometimes.

I have been using the Spectra everyday for the last 2 months now and very impressed with it for what I paid for it. The Build quality does not feel as good as the Elite Obviously and weight is a lot less and it is missing some features and the trigger stops aren't great but from using it I am very happy with the controller just having 2 extra buttons/paddles and trigger stops.

So I am looking to spend some more and get another controller. I really don't fancy spending out on another Elite Series 2 even though I could pretty much get it for free via Rewards but would rather save those up and put them towards a revised Series X or S maybe in the future.

So after some research I am thinking of one of the below.

Amazon product ASIN B08XXWJ787
Amazon product ASIN B08FCV5YSS
Amazon product ASIN B08GG8QSQH
Amazon product ASIN B09BB5Q39W
I was all set to get the Razer one which is £69 but realised that the 2 extra buttons are on the shoulders which just seem really awkward. So think I can dismiss that one and the other one is £120

Does anyone have any of these ?
Or suggestions on other controllers, just need good build quality, 2 extra buttons on the back of the controller and trigger stops.

I wouldn't be able to live with wires so I'd probably go for a Scuf if I wanted an Elite alternative.

Sorry to hear about your elite can you fix it ? I replace the bumpers on my old elite 1 fairly easily when they failed. Which let me use it for any 12 months till I got a elite 2.

using something like this

Amazon product ASIN B07RX732JK
I also sorted the normal ABXY buttons on the elite 2 as well when they started sticking using the tiniest amount of wd40 silicon lube if that helps.

I wouldn't be able to live with wires so I'd probably go for a Scuf if I wanted an Elite alternative.

Since getting a Wired Controller it's been fine but then I am not that far from the console when in the Lounge or Games Room and less hassle when syncing between the consoles and not worrying about the charge.

Scuff is out of my budget also.

Sorry to hear about your elite can you fix it ? I replace the bumpers on my old elite 1 fairly easily when they failed. Which let me use it for any 12 months till I got a elite 2.

using something like this

Amazon product ASIN B07RX732JK
I also sorted the normal ABXY buttons on the elite 2 as well when they started sticking using the tiniest amount of wd40 silicon lube if that helps.
I replaced the bumpers on my Elite 1 also, took 10 minutes. They have changed how it works on the Elite 2 though and I have done some fixes but still no good so it would require replacing some of the internals and soldering. Cheaper than a new controller but after moving away from the Elite I am tempted in trying out the others as I have been impressed with the PowerA cheap one so far.

There's also the Thrustmaster Eswap Pro, but it's £150.

Amazon product ASIN B08HY4R8RQ
Since these things are so easy to take apart and rebuild a somewhat out-there suggestion would be to buy a used Xbox One controller and modify it using these...

Trigger Stops:
Amazon product ASIN B09BMSYKXY
or...

Amazon product ASIN B01N1QO0TS
Paddles:
Amazon product ASIN B07H4MPJ5X
or...

Amazon product ASIN B07ZL9G9HJ
You can find used Strike packs on eBay much cheaper too.

You could then add the thumbsticks from your Elite. Then only thing you're really losing is the useless Share button.

There's also the Thrustmaster Eswap Pro, but it's £150.

Amazon product ASIN B08HY4R8RQ
Since these things are so easy to take apart and rebuild a somewhat out-there suggestion would be to buy a used Xbox One controller and modify it using these...

Trigger Stops:
Amazon product ASIN B09BMSYKXY
or...

Amazon product ASIN B01N1QO0TS
Paddles:
Amazon product ASIN B07H4MPJ5X
or...

Amazon product ASIN B07ZL9G9HJ
You can find used Strike packs on eBay much cheaper too.

You could then add the thumbsticks from your Elite. Then only thing you're really losing is the useless Share button.

Elite Series 2 doesn’t even have a share button, it’s the so called 'premium' model Microsoft sell but it’s also ready for a product refresh. It’s not a third gen product like the standard controller so it’s missing things like the share button.

There are photos kicking about of a white Series 2 but there hasn’t been any leaks of a Series 3 yet.

Damn that Thrustmaster one sure is an ugly controller !

I really do like the Elite 2 same as Elite 1. Might just send it off to be repaired somewhere.

But really tempted in trying a different controller. Will see if any other the ones I listed go into a Sale or something on Amazon. Shame none of them appear on the MS Store as I would cash in my rewards.

Can't decide between these 2

Anyone have any experience of either of them ?

Victrix Gambit World's Fastest Licensed Xbox Controller, Elite Esports Design with Swappable Pro Thumbsticks, Custom Paddles, Swappable White / Purple Faceplate for Xbox One, Series X/S, PC Amazon product ASIN B08FCV5YSS
Razer Wolverine V2 Chroma - Xbox Series X|S Controller with Razer Chroma (6 Additional Multi-Functional Buttons, Interchangeable Thumbsticks, Hair-Trigger-Mode) Black Amazon product ASIN B09BB5Q39W

Yeah will update the thread. Been using a PowerA Spectre for the past few months and will be replacing the Elite Series 2 with this which I have not touched for over a month due to the Bumper issues.

Well the controller arrived yesterday and had a few hours on it last night playing Fortnite and Guardians of the galaxy and it's a nice controller but I don't think it's for me and will more than likely be returning it.

It's slightly wider than a normal Xbox controller and Elite controller and the thumbsticks are wider apart. Something just felt off but thought I would get used to it after a week or so and wasnt until I compared it to the elite I noticed how wider the thumbsticks are. Will post up some pictures shortly. Build quality is good but does not feel as premium as the Elite. Triggers are good and face buttons are good but the bumpers feel slightly off and the buttons/paddles on the back are awkward. I think I might just have slightly too small a hand for this controller. The app on the Xbox is useless as it doesn't work all the time and when you try and edit a setting you can't select some of the settings because it does a double press of the d pad, so you want to adjust a dead zone by 1...nope it moves by 2. Absolutely fine in game and menus but the app takes everything as a double press so I can't actually update some settings because I can't select them.
I keep thinking I will get used to it and give it more time but this is £135 wired controller and should just work. For £5 more I can get another Elite Controller and that will be wireless also and feel better in my hands.

Hmmmm it's a nice controller but I just don't think it's for me. Maybe the Fusion Pro or Gambit might be a better option. Even the Spectre feels better in my hands than this and that's a £29 controller!!

Also only comes with 2 extra thumbsticks and no carry case. It just feels a bit basic for something that costs £135 compared to the Series 2 which at the moment is £140 and I could get for £20 with my reward points.

PXL_20220429_105018907.jpg

PXL_20220429_105233384.jpg

As you can see the thumbsticks are quite a bit wider position wise than the Elite and the controller is wider so everything feels like a stretch slightly with the thumbsticks and pressing the middle paddles on the back. If it was same size I think it would feel great in the hand and no issues for me.

Good review, does look a bit big and for the money it should be much better than how you've described it.

Just need you to get the gambit one next to see how that compares 😃

I was tempted to buy another Elite 2 the other day as they were dirt cheap (just over £60) from the MS Poland store, but I’m trying my best not to throw good money after bad these days. I’ve still got one that works so-so, it’s just got irritating slightly sticking triggers.

When Elite 3 rolls around I’m having a hard time seeing myself buying that for £180 or whatever it launches at, I don’t trust MS to build the thing to last.

None of the third party controllers appeal to me in the slightest, all of them look vastly inferior to the design and ergonomics of the MS pad. Perhaps the latest Scuff would be suitable but I’d never buy one of those, that company also has a terrible reputation for reliability and being American only gives you a measly six months warranty. I'd be devastated if my £250 controller gave up the ghost after just six months!.

Sad to hear it didn't work out for you.

I'd just spend a few quid on parts to repair the Elite. IMO nothing is going to feel as good as an official controller.

I bought the 3 year warranty with my elite from Amazon. Covers all possible failures and was only £12 or so. Eases any worries about reliability on such an expensive controller.

Holding out for Elite 3 which I hope they announce at the show on June 12, seeing as Elite 2 is on sale at the mo... I can dream. The points are awaiting to be spent!

I bought the 3 year warranty with my elite from Amazon. Covers all possible failures and was only £12 or so. Eases any worries about reliability on such an expensive controller.

We shouldn’t have to though should we, it’s already a expensive premium product without another £15 slapped on top.

It’s a shame three years isn’t the standard warranty length by law, it's not a fifteen quid toaster after all.

We shouldn’t have to though should we, it’s already a expensive premium product without another £15 slapped on top.

It’s a shame three years isn’t the standard warranty length by law, it's not a fifteen quid toaster after all.
Just like you shouldn't have to buy extra warranties to cover burn in on OLED TV's but life isn't always fair. Just highlighting an option for people. I'm capable of component level repair but for the sake of a few quid I'd rather not have to worry about the what if. For the record saying it shouldn't happen if it fails outside of 1 year isn't going to fix it for you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom