Xbox series S - fully shut down but still updating/downloading games etc

Daveyboy1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a really weird issue (if you want to call it that).

So my understanding is that Xbox series s/x can only download or update if set to ‘Instant On’.

Now mine is set to energy saver but I don’t shut down that way. I always do a full system shutdown.

So now to my point - I’ve downloaded a few games and some have been very big. I first noticed it with one game that I started to download and I shut down the console when it was only 50% downloaded.
When I switched it back on a few days later, the game was now fully downloaded and fully installed.
Updates are also downloaded to games whilst so say off.

I’m so confused as I thought I must be imagining it, then I decided to download a game which was over 100gb. I made a point of starting the download but then shutting system down fully.

Again a couple of days later, I turned it on and to my amazement the game that had only downloaded around 500mb when I switched it off had now fully downloaded the 100+ Gb game and installed it.

I also checked my console ‘last automatic update check’ - now unless the time on this is wrong then it last checked for an update this morning at 5:41 am. However, I last turned console on on the 10 December. How is it still working somehow in the background when it’s fully shut down?

I checked my online router settings and when I shut down the system, the device shows as going offline. So unless it’s randomly turning on and shutting back down at different times then I’m confused as to how this is occurring.

Any ideas?

No both power options allow games to be updated. Instant on just means it uses a little bit more power as it will turn on instantly and allow to be turned on by voice and other devices and also allows remote game installs. Power save is a full shutdown and does not allow remote installs, as in using an app like GamesPass to remotely install a game. Games and apps will still update.

To turn that option off you go to my games and apps and select manage and choose the option to keep updated and turn it off.

No both power options allow games to be updated. Instant on just means it uses a little bit more power as it will turn on instantly and allow to be turned on by voice and other devices and also allows remote game installs. Power save is a full shutdown and does not allow remote installs, as in using an app like GamesPass to remotely install a game. Games and apps will still update.

To turn that option off you go to my games and apps and select manage and choose the option to keep updated and turn it off.
Ah ok, thank you for this. So even when I don’t shut down with either of these two and I choose full shutdown in settings menu, as I have ‘keep apps updated’ etc, then it will turn on randomly to download and update?

It obviously doesn't fully turn on and just download and update in the background. But yes I assume full shutdown and those turned off would stop it. Full shutdown is just the same as energy saver.

It obviously doesn't fully turn on and just download and update in the background. But yes I assume full shutdown and those turned off would stop it. Full shutdown is just the same as energy saver.
Right ok that makes sense now. I tried searching all over and couldn’t find any information but everything I read seemed to imply that full shut down was exactly that, that it would shut system down and not run at all but as you’ve said, even though I’m doing that, as I have the other boxes ticked for keeping apps etc updated, it must then update in early hours of morning etc to keep games updated etc (which is absolutely fine). Thank you again for the explanation as that now clears it up for me. Appreciate it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom