1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX - ripping audio soundtracks

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by monkeyleader, Oct 27, 2003.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Was wondering once IVe ripped some music the my XBOX harddisk is there a way to play this music in game - I think I read somewhere its possible - but I guess only with certain games ?

Nige

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, certain games like MotoGP give you the option of replacing the existing soundtrack with your custom one. (it should be in the sound settings if the game supports it)

It may seem like a simple feature, but I think it really adds a lot to the system. There's nothing like tearing someone up on the track to your favorite tune.

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    yer .. some madness first person shooter with some thrash metal or something .. classic .. gonna give this a try tonight ..

Anyone know what format it rips in - to be more precise what size (mp3, wma or better ? )

ta - nige

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    its a version of wma exclusive to the xbox with the extention xma i think. As of yet i dont think there is anything that plays the files on the pc.

games that i know can play ripped music include midtown madness 3 and gotham racing.

5. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just Checked it out and it records to standard wma version 8 files at 128k

You need a chipped box to get the tunes off, but if you want to know it puts them on drive /E in the folders /TDATA/fffe0000/music/000b/ (I dont know if the fffe0000 bit will be the same for all boxes.)

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    doh. your right. i just cheacked out the files i ripped (my box is chipped) and they are indeed normal 128k wma files.

i read somewhere that someone tried to play one and couldnt get windoes media player to open the file - something about a codec unavailable for download. I just tried winamp and it works fine:)

Thats actually handy to know, because i can no FTP the files over - which is very much quicker than ripping with the xbox. thanks for that:) though there is still the litle problem of editing that st.db file that holds all the album and track names..........

edit: :) ive found a program that will edit the file and upload music from window:) perfect.

7. GirlyGamer

GirlyGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an 'unofficial list' of xbox games which apparently support the custom soundtrack feature. Incidentally if you burn mp3s onto a CDRW in audio format they should play and are rippable to the xbox (I've done this and it's worked). Good for all those songs you've made into MP3s sitting on your HD gathering dust ;)

http://patrick005.tripod.com/xboxsound.html

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    that depends on what media you use - most of the dvd-drives cant read cd-r's for example.