1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox rgb vs component

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by sted, Jan 21, 2004.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Getting a new tv which has a component input and an rgb scart input. Question is, which one should i connect my xbox to? It's a standard pal xbox so wouldn't benefit from progressive scan, but would a component lead make the picture better anyway?
    Another thing to consider is that my ntl digibox will also be competing for the rgb scart. Are there any drawbacks to using a switcher? Are there any recommended ones?
    Any ideas more than welcome . . .
    Cheers
    Ed

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    the xbox is fantastic on RGB, i had mine on componant for a while but i could really see the diff. as for what socket to use for what i based my choices on what i watched/used most.

DVD - componant*
    xbox - RGB
    Digital TV - standard SCART

As for switchers im not really sure - i never found one good enough for me as they all seemed to degrade the picture. click the search button at the top of this page look for previous threads as the RGB switchers have been discussed before.

*DVD uses componant because thats really why i bought my tosh telly and HC and it looks fantastic ewhen compered to RGB.

Gary

3. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The Xbox via RGB is very good but does display an overly dark image on some games, whether thats the games fault or the xbox's video output is arguable. I would certainly keep the component input for dvd if only one is available, do you use a AV amp as they usually have two component outputs and one input.
    You could use this as the switcher, i use my xbox and dvd via my amp(Yamaha RXV730) and see no picture degradation via my 42inch plasma. I have compared RGB scart and interlaced Componant on my plasma via the relevent official cables and for my money component looks slightly crisper. I did however replace the component cables that came with the HDTV pack with some £15 JVC cables which improve things.

GaryD

Your watching digital tv via composite scart :nono: whats that saying on Dad's Army s***** boy :suicide:

As for RGB scart switchers try this one from play, it's also available in black which is in stock

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=GADG&title=151372

4. dj898

dj898

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there's YUV switcher that can switch up to 4 YUV inputs.
    I use AA swicther for my DVD, xbox, GC and Saturn. As it's auto sending all I have to is turn and start to play.

cheers

p.s. no Saturn does not ouput YUV. I use the RGB->YUV transcoder.