Xbox resolution Vs LCD TV

Washu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello there. New here so this might be a noob question.
Just got myself a 32" Hitachi LCD TV. It's max screen resolution is, according to the specs I have found on the 32LD30U, 1366x768. Yet, when I look in the instruction book, it says it can give me a VGA connection of 1920x1200.
Having read this, I set my 360 up to the best connection using my VGA cable for it. It worked and the TV said that it was giving the best resolution the 360 can give.
How can it display something that is out of its official resolution range and how can it say, within its OWN manual, that it can give a better resolution via VGA?
Am I being tricked? Is something going wrong somewhere or is someone lying? Although my TV has HDMI, I don't really care about getting an Xbox with a HDMI connection as it's not all it's all cracked up to be. VGA is perfectly fine but the resoltion mystery is beyond me!
Thanks.

your tv will accept a 1920x1080 resolution, but scale it down to its native resolution which is 1366x768.
most new tv's will accept resolutions far in excess of their native one, and just downscale to their native, its perfectly normal.
if you set your 360 vga resolution to something closer to its native, then you might get a slightly better picture, or no difference at all,it depends on the tv/display, and its scaling ability.

Absolutely...what resolution a display will accept and what resolution a display will show can often be two different things. :)

I see. The cheating little TV! So it is basically lying to me when it says it is displaying in 1980 then.
That's all I needed to know so thanks. My 360 is set to the TV resolution anyway but I always wondered.

I see. The cheating little TV! So it is basically lying to me when it says it is displaying in 1980 then.
That's all I needed to know so thanks. My 360 is set to the TV resolution anyway but I always wondered.

Just say its like the average GF. Say 1 thing and do another :rotfl:

How true that is. This is why I am going to mount it on the wall and crucify it!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom