Xbox reservation experience

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Mr.D, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Just thought I'd post my experiences of reserving an Xbox at Dixons on Oxford Street.

I'd just like to make plain at the outset that the reason I am using Dixons is that I have some goldfish points that allow me to get a lot of money off it. ( some bright spark will now point out I could get John Lewis vouchers also...)

Anyway after rudely interupting the 3 sales staff who were busy having a conversation and doing their best to ignore me they informed me that they weren't taking any more reservations for the Xbox. After some badgering on my part one of them made the pretence of calling someone "higher up "on their mobile phone which promptly failed to work ( probably bought it in store). He toddled off round the corner for 20 secs then came back to announce that they were still taking reservations but for the second shipment which was due a week after the first lot. Fine I say I'm not in a hurry.

Then I get passed over to another member of staff who looks about twelve to take the order. First of all he tells me it will be 365quid for a console with an extra controller and Halo and proceeds to inform me that they won't be selling the console on its own. ( now I was going to go along with this but then thought : hang about I don't really need the extra controller initially and I know I can get peripherals cheaper than in Dixons likewise the software).

So I ask him to verify this and point out the adverts for the console at 299 and the banner offering reservations . He's still adamant they won't be taking reservations for the console on its own and laughingly points out I need something to play on it . I inform him I can get the required bits and bobs cheaper than in Dixons ( its a natural law in my book) and ask him to call the manager.

assistant: This gentleman wants to buy an Xbox on its own and we don't take reservations for the console on its own do we.

manager: Er... yeah we do.

assistant: Oh ! I can't find the code .

manager: [pointing at sales computer] its down the bottom under X for Xbox .

I thank the manager and the assistant proceeds to ring up the order after taking my contact details and entering them into the computer.
    I give the assistant a twenty pound note he stares at it blankly.

assistant: How much do you want to pay ?

me : what do you mean how much do I want to pay ? Its 10quid for the deposit .

assistant: yeah but you've given me a twenty.

me: well what do you normally do when someone gives you more money than necessary ?

assistant: yeah but how much do you want to spend ?

me: er... the deposit is ten pounds . Why don't you just give me ten pounds change ?

assistant: there's no need to be like that sir I was just asking how much you wanted to settle up .

me: the deposit is ten pounds . I am putting down a deposit . Its ten pounds . Give me ten pounds change . ( roll eyes skywards)

Assistant gives me change and receipt. Then tears off a bit off receipt paper and slides it over the counter.

assistant: can you write your details down on that .

me: Why ? You've just entered them into the computer .

assistant: I need to pass them on to someone else .

me: Why ?!! They are on the computer !

assistant: Well you don't have to sir but it will make things easier and quicker .
    ( I'm booking 3 weeks in advance how much quicker do they want it ??)

me: I'm not in the habit of putting down my personal details on a scrap of paper whenever someone asks for it !

assistant: well just your contact name and phone number .

I write this down begrudgingly.

me: when will I get it ?

assistant: mid march they'll ring you when its in.

me: date ?

assistant: well its not out until March 14th is it !

me : so I'll get one on the 14th . I'll get one of the first batch ?

assistant : yes !

(bear in mind the first guy said I wouldn't get one until the 21st)

Now because I'm getting a fair old bit off ; courtesy of my vouchers , I'm not too fussed about getting it a week late but it will be interesting to see how I get on with Dixons because I for one wouldn't put bets on me getting an Xbox on the 14th.

Anyone else care to post their reservation experiences ? Or accuse me of being a miserable git to poor underpayed Dixons staff ? But then again we all like to see a prize muppet in action.

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    haha..cracked me up..great story..:)
    it's the multiples like this that keep the independants in business..

3. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't get your XBOX on time can I be the first in the queue to punch the spotty @rsehole who took your order?

4. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sadly Dixon’s doing pre-orders on anything is a recipe for disaster the saddest thing I have heard recently is that they are taking £10 orders for the Gamecube but they may not actually stock the machine of course the £10 is non-refundable it just gives multiples a bad name.

There are some good multiples out there I myself work for E.B and while every store is run differently I try to bring some of my indie experience to the stores (manager @ CEX on tottenham court road and 4 yrs in a small indie on seven sisters rd) so my custys get a good personnel service and that 10 day money back guarantee they cannot lose.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Well to be honest I've always had pretty good service from EB on Oxford street which is 100 yards up the road from the Dixons. ( the staff are always helpful and on occasion have even saved me money by offering second hand software instaed of buying a new version and even telling me to wait a couple of days for other companies to drop their prices which they will then match)

I need to use the Dixons vouchers though which means I'll get the Xbox for half price effectively.

I'll be obtaining peripherals and software from EB most likely ( although play are doing halo for 39quid delivered).

I'm really not expecting to be able to get an Xbox and all the necessaries up and running on the 14th so I'm trying not to fall into the trap of craving an Xbox for launch day and line myself up for a dissapointment.

I walk down Oxford Street to work every day so I'm toying with the idea of going in a bit earlier on the 14th to see what the situation is regardless of whether I get a confirmation phone call or not... what with the smoothly oiled machine that is Dixons it should be great fun.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a laptop in Comet. As it was nailed down I asked a 'helpful assistant' if it had an RJ45 connector on the back so I could hook it up to my network. He poked around a bit and couldn't see down there either.

'Never mind' he said, 'This one runs Windows 'XB' which is network ready so you don't need any cables'.

I pointed out that I still needed to connect it physically to the network, a point he couldn't quite grasp. He then explained how most people nowadays have 'SBSS' networks and that I had set up my 10/100 wrong. After extensive research I still cannot find this SBSS technology, he must be way ahead.

In the end I had to go home and look on the Sony site to check out which model I needed and then go back. I spoke to the same guy when I bought it. He did redeem himself a bit because he appeared to have been on a 2 year intensive training course in how to convince people to buy extended warranties and 'service contracts'. Good to see they care.

I chose option 1 which is to keep saying NO until you get the thing out of the shop over option 2 (Tell him to f*** off and walk out) or option 3 (physically assult him before kicking off and trashing the store). Next time they may not be so lucky.

S

7. Force Field

Force Field

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off-thread I know, but dabs.com are taking X-box pre-rders and the unit costs only £289.04
    Force Field

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dabs rule, one of the best online companies out there.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into Virgin the other day. I asked them about the Xbox. They were very informative. The chap I spoke to was really enthusiastic, having just returned from a MS demo.

He was telling me that a few of the titles, Wreakless being one, haven't been certified yet and that is the reason for their late release.

Haven't ordered it as they didn't think there was going to be any supply problems.

Anyone found any good pre-order deals ? I don't really want to order on line cos I'll have to wait for delivery..maybe even for the Monday 18th for delivery if it doesn't arrive on Saturday. I'm looking for the box, 2 games, extra controller and the scart thing. cheapest I've found is 204 quid not including the scart box.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    204quid ????

11. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    What a laff.:D

Dixons, Comet, the whole bunch of 'em.

Cex round the corner in Rathbone Place is where I will be getting my Gamecube.

The Oxford Street branch of Dixons is sooo lame it's unbelievable. Basically it's a tourist shop cos no local would surely buy from there!?? Bearing in mind a Dixons exists on virtually every High Street.

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    CEX have really disappointed me by bowing to Nintendo pressure and removing all imported Nintendo hardware and software from their stores.

Surely they get more money from imports than domestic hardware/software? They certainly got plenty from anyone who bought an import GC from them but now can't buy games.

Still, got my friendly local import store now (courtesy of museumsteve), and CEX were always too expensive anyway :)

13. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Yep, Cex are way too expensive on the import stuff, so no great loss really.

They are generally a tad cheaper on UK stuff than HMV, EB etc so still good.