Xbox Progressive vs Dscaler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by godisi, Sep 16, 2004.

1. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people, great Forum, it has helped me in many ways whilst building my new hcpc.Here's my question, will a progressive xbox signal straight to my Pj(component)be a better solution than using an interlaced signal from my hcpc (svideo) and have it de-interlaced via Dscaler than to my pj at 1:1 resolution. One other thing, for just playing console games, not capturing, is it worth buying the sweet spot card to input component signals into dscaler, or will svideo flyvideo 3000 signal suffice???I do realise that sweetspot doesnt support progressive scanning.

2. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me with this dilemma???

3. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really need to know cause im really thinking of selling my pal gamecube for a Us/jap one just so i can use the s-video support to my capture card. Please anyone

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    I cannot help you with the direct query only to say that for game playing i have a chipped xbox that outputs hidef resolutions via component to my pj, the image really is amazing and you will not be disappointed.

I have not done a comparison between this image and one scaled but i really cannot imagine that it would be that much better.

If you use dscaler for the xbox will this then introduce a margin of delay from making a move say from the joypad to this being shown on the screen.

5. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the thing is all my games arent progressive, most of them are, but since dscaler inputs interlaced signal and outputs it to progressive anyhow, theres no reason to even have to enable progressive on any consoles, which is why i see a benefit in using the dscaler method.How do i know what prog scan res im using when outputting to my display, will it depend on my screen resolutions or not?, ie will 1280 x 768 mean im using a certain hd res like 720p???, And here's the other thing, will sweetspot be the better choice for me, or instead just a card that gives the cleanest s-video signal???

6. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    It is very difficult to say for certain what will be best with your equipment combination and settings. However, a direct connection between the xbox and projector (ie. no HTPC) should be better than via the HTPC, in most cases, anyway. Obviously, a high definition signal will be best, followed by a scart RGBs signal, followed by the s-video, and then followed by composite video (the least preferrable solution).

But a direct connection assumes that the projector is capable of handling one of those signal types - if not, then the HTPC Dscaler solution might be a better solution, configured with a 1-1 pixel mapping if possible. However, I wouldn't recommend this approach if the HTPC is attached to the projector via s-video, since s-video is quite low quality (and interlaced). Ideally you want to be attaching the projector via the VGA output of the graphics card (which supplies a progessive "component" signal), and is of a high quality. If the projector has vga inputs, then this should be easy. Otherwise it can be difficult, and depends on the projector type.

If you must use an s-video connection and an htpc, then the Flyvideo should be good enough. Using a sweetspot will not have a huge difference on the final quality (because the signal is being downgaded to s-video on the output to the projector side, anyway). But if you are using VGA (instead of s-video), a sweetspot may impove the picture quality over the flyvideo. However, the difference may not be dramatic, since a correctly configured and calibrated dscaler in combination with a Flyvideo will produce pretty good results anyway, particularly since the xbox signal is very clean in the first place.

I hope that helps.

Mike.

7. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, my pj is going to be Sanyo plz2 and going from pc to pj using DVi connection.The pj obviously takes hd resolutions, and id be happy to connect consoles straight to the pj via component.The thing is most of my games arent prog scan, thats why i saw a benefit in using an htpc to clear the picture more on games like these. Will htpc benefit me in this sense, or will games even w/o prog scan be better fed using a component straight to the pj.

8. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    In that case, I can't say for sure. I think it's OK in theory, but in practise, you probably won't see much benefit (I'd imagine). Because although dscaler is great, you will be introducing an additional step in the process, and this will inevitably cause some loss of quality. Secondly, the xbox is only capable of outputting so much picture infomation, and adding dscaler to the mix won't increase that amount information (although it may be able to smooth out some of the blockiness). This is particularly true if you are using s-video, which would be poorer quality than a direct component/scart RGBs connection.

So if pictue quality is the key, I'd just use a direct connection, using the mechanism that offers the highest quality (ie. HD/component).

But if money is no object, get a sweetspot anyway - for scart set top boxes (cable, satellite, etc). Then you have the best of all worlds, and can experiment!

Also, you should consider PC games instead of console ones, and then you would have very clean high resolution picture (higher even than the xbox). With a 1-1 pixel mapping, and your DVI connection, the results will be as good as it gets.

9. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot once again, heres my question, would pq of sweetspot using component in from my xbox with dscaler be just as good as a direct feed to my pj.

10. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Again, it's difficult to say. If you are using 480p (or 1080i?) (hi-def) from the xbox and a direct connection, it will probably be better than 576i using the Scart RGBs and a sweetspot. But it comes down to what is the better scaler, the hardware scaler in the projector vs. the Dscaler solution, with the lower definition/resolution of 576i. At least in theory, the modded High Def xbox should give the best results, but it may depend on the game itself, as they support different resolutions.

I have an xbox and a high def display, and haven't even bothered modding the xbox, and what's more I only use s-video via dscaler. I don't really see the need. But when Half Life 2 finally arrives, I'll definitely be buying the PC version, to get the best image quality - I hope to play it at the resolution that best suits my display (and you don't have that option with xbox games).

But someone else may have more experience with your type of configuration, and may be able to shed more light.

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    Godisi is your xbox chipped? I also have a Z2 and HCPC via dvi which is excellent and my xbox is fed to my Z2 via component, but it is chipped so i have enabled the hidef feature on it.

12. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, no mine is not chipped, and im still waiting on my pj to arrive, so im guessin most will say xbox games look bettr fed straight to the pj, will this mean that other consoles i have like the gamecube and ps2 also be the same. How well does the pj deinterlace 576i or 480i games???