1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox: Progressive Scan Mode.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dAvE6, Nov 8, 2001.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a ludicrous idea, but i was considering buying a loewe aconda so i could play xbox/Gamecube with a proper progressive scan picture. As far as i'm aware the loewe is the only CRT set that will do this. Obviously componant cables would have to be used. But is anyone sure that the tv will show a PROPER 480bp display? Or will it just do a fake DRC thingy like a sony tv would?

Thanks.

P.S Monster are doing all the cables for XBOX. At least microsoft are taking it seriously unlike sony. Technicaly, ps2 is a half baked xbox but with an assured market following.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I am thinking exactly the same thing for my GameCube.. I have a thread running in both the DVD and TV sections asking about the prog scan with the loewe TV's..

Matt

3. NeoMorph

NeoMorph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just looking at progressive cables for my XBox when I found out that the HDTV progressive signal wasn't enabled on the UK XBox.

See here -> http://www.mx2.co.uk/default.asp?part=XBOX1004

I guess I'm going to have to wait until the 360 to get a true HDTV signal... :(

4. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Guys, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding here, the Loewe is not the only CRT set to support progressive scan signals but it's one of a limited few though. The Panasonic PD30 and PD50 sets officially support NTSC progressive scan and unofficially support PAL prog scan too - I'm running a 32" PD30 for PAL and NTSC prog scan out of my Xbox and my Denon 3910. My GameCube is also hooked up via component inputs but since I'm not using NTSC games, I'm not getting prog scan on that. Toshiba also have a prog scan CRT model - the older model was the 32ZP38 but I'm not sure of the current model.

None of these sets will offer HDTV compatibility though for the higher resolutions. Have you considered spending the same budget on an LCD? The new Panasonics are looking great and the Samsung is looking like a winner too (although there are some worries about component input images tearing on older revisions of the set)...

Also NeoMorph, it's true that the PAL progressive scan options have been disabled but it's easy to re-enable them with a Live-friendly software modification. Search the forums for "soft mod" and you'll find more than a few success stories and pointers. It's worth looking for the "forums softmod kit" thread too - it's everything you need to do the job and it's doing the rounds between forum members for the cost of the postage on to the next person on the list.

Cheers,

Colin

5. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I'm afraid that it may be a little more complicated than just plugging it in.

Firstly you will need a component to Scart lead, such as a QED AV29, as Loewe TVs don't have a component input per se, rather they can accept a component signal via Scart (AV3)

Secondly IIRC that the Loewe TVs will only accept a progressive signal via an optional VGA input. It also depends on which chassis the TV is based on as the earlier Q2400 would only accept NTSC progressive signals.

Hope this helps,
    Shye

6. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Not a problem for the Xbox and the Cube thankfully Shye as they only support progressive scan when in NTSC mode anyway. It does mean though that it wouldn't work for PAL DVD PS playback or the PAL Xbox 360 either. It does highlight the one thing that drives me mad about Loewe TVs though - that everything comes on an add-in board and these aren't cheap! Was the Freeview add-in board not about £400? :eek:

7. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Loewe Aconda (2500 chassis anyway) can actually internally convert any pal signal and output it to pal progressive scan.

It was an experimental option only available in the service menu and it used to chop the bottom pan of the screen (not noticable if watching a 2.35-1 movie but with a 1.85-1 the bottom part of the picture is missing)

It did look better in some ways, but the 100hz processing was turned off so even though the picture was sharper there was noticable picture flicker from running at 50hz