Xbox Price Drop £160 as of Friday

D

Dom H

Doubt it doesn't work out much cheaper than now, i reckon all the packages will dissapear. For example I paid £227 with MotoGP and an extra pad which works out cheaper than buying it separate at the new price 160 + 45 + 25 = £230.

What a great price, imo MUCH better value than a GC @ £130

p.s PS2 is also dropped to £150

Heh, you know how to bait us GC fan boys :p

Games are still more expensive and simply inferior.... hehehehe (exception of Halo).

Even Halo doesn't have the Solitare control layout from GoldenEye that I NEED to play FPSs on a console. LAZY, just LAZY. Roll on summer 03 for PC Halo, the way it was ment to be.

Originally posted by Dom H

??

Wasn't goldeneye d-pad forward/back/strafe, stick aim? Same as Halo just with 2 anolog sticks.

No, 4 different control methods, even a dual joypad method. Halo's control method options are good enough for me but they could have been more flexible with additional control methods. As far as FPS's go, Goldeneye's control still reigns supreme in my book.

I'm an odd one me. I can only seem to play FPSs on pads when forwards/backwards/strafe is on my right thumb, and look is on my left. There's a similar control scheme in Halo, but it's just not as intuative.

What is it with Xbox owner and Halo?
I got it along with my console and I've played it once.
Didn't like the controls and I've found other games that I simply can't put down (MotoGP / Oddworld / PGR / Max Payne / Outlaw Golf)

Originally posted by alanrob
What is it with Xbox owner and Halo?
I got it along with my console and I've played it once.
Didn't like the controls...
I thought this as well when I forst got it. However, after some minor tweaking to find the controls that I liked the most (including speeding up the 'look' controls) I loved it. Once you get a little further in to the game it really does get very hard to put down. Playing it once isn't giving it a fair try. Give it another go, once you get to the 3rd level (think its the 3rd, the one where you have to get in to the alien ship) it really gets good.

If you still dont like it then, well at least ya tried :)

FWIW, I found Max Payne awful to control (having come from the pc version).

Originally posted by SilverPenguin7

I thought this as well when I forst got it. However, after some minor tweaking to find the controls that I liked the most (including speeding up the 'look' controls) I loved it. Once you get a little further in to the game it really does get very hard to put down. Playing it once isn't giving it a fair try. Give it another go, once you get to the 3rd level (think its the 3rd, the one where you have to get in to the alien ship) it really gets good.

If you still dont like it then, well at least ya tried :)

FWIW, I found Max Payne awful to control (having come from the pc version).

Sorry to say that if a game doesn't grab me first time then it doesn't stand a chance. I did play it for over 2 hours the first time (as it was the only game I had at first).

As for the controls on Max Payne - I have to agree, but the sheer terror that the game gives across is what keeps me involved. Haven't felt as much fear from a game since the original Quake.

If you want the ultimate in control systems then try MototGP. It has to be the best control system of any game I've played.

You could try out GPL on the PC... ^_^ Talk about physics... I believe it was planned to render the amount of heat produced in the tyres during breaking but I can't remember if it was included in the final game or not...

As for the drop in console prices, it can only mean great things for us gamers - Multiple (chipped) consoles ^_^

Hmm, £160, coming into pocket change territory now. I may have to pick one up after all.

Let's face it, although we all have our faves, it's great to have 3 good consoles on the market so we get price wars like this. I personally wouldn't spend that much on a console as I don't think I would spend much time gaming but £150 is seriously tempting.

Of course, I could buy a GC but we all know that they are a crock of s$%t. :devil:

S

Of course, I could buy a GC but we all know that they are a crock of s$%t.

haha nice one.

Expect nintendo to drop the Gamecube to £99 very soon and why oh why is the X Box better value? for someone who has spent £700 on a Sony DVD player why would i want anouther DVD player and waste my money?? the DVD player should be a optional extra, a cube for £99 or £130 is a bargain a pure 100% games machine and lets face it, the bets games are nintendo games, Super Mario Sunshine is quite simply the best game i ever played i will be coming back to it for months and years to come i could never say that about any PC or X Box game

Expect nintendo to drop the Gamecube to £99 very soon and why oh why is the X Box better value? for someone who has spent £700 on a Sony DVD player why would i want anouther DVD player and waste my money??

I don't recall anybody saying here that the DVD player was the main selling point for the XBox.

The better value comes from the built-in hard drive, network card, and 5.1 sound. (finally played Halo in 5 channel sound and it's amazing) Hardware-wise, the XBox is definitely great value. Whether you like the games or not is down to personal opinion, but considering what's under the hood, the system is underpriced.

i agree it is underpriced and microsoft must be losing a fortune, this is a desperate act to try and boost sales, but what i am saying is none of the games for the xbox really benefit from having a hard drive? i have not seen any mind blowing games which can only be made because of this hard drive, ok it can save games on it, but thats a very small + i have 6 games for my gamecube and they are all saved on the standard memory card which cost under £10, the only real benefit for having a hard drive as far as i can see is to download ileagal games from the net and play them from the hard drive, which so many people are doing which will destroy the xbox, just look at the PC pirate scene its massive, nintendo wanted to make there console as hard to crack as possible so would never of dreamed of including a 40GB hard drive, when they release a portable hard drive it will be no more than 1GB as to again **** off the pirates while adding to the systems features, dolby pro logic is prety good sound but obviously not as good as 5.1, but FOR me i only play FPS games on my PC so get the 5.1 there but its a nice feature i agree.

my mate has an x box with 2 games Halo and Amped, i think Halo is prety cool, but i would rather play on my PC.

Microsoft must do something pretty quick as x box sales in U.K and japan are very poor (hence the price drop) (U.S its doing better) add to that the fact its **** easy to pirate, then add to that the fact they have just waisted so many millions on rare software company which for 1) takes forever to release games and 2) is no where near as good as they were in the early nineties and late eighties, as alot of the best programmers have left, surely the fact that nintendo decided not to buy them out last year should of told MS thats its not a good move :(

anyway **** i have just got carried away and mised the point, but in a way i agree its a ok price for what you get, and a even better one if you want to pirate games :) as games are still £10 more than gamecube and PS2 games, but how long will it be around? how much money are MS willing to throw away to make it a success? only time will tell, if you want the most exclusive games and want plenty of 3rd party games as well as the great nintendo games then gamecube is a better buy

I'm going to let someone who is better informed reply to the specifics of your post, which are wildly inaccurate.

As for what I know (and correct me if you have proof), the XBox is currently the most hack-proof console on the market, with the exception of the Gamecube due to their proprietary discs. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, I'm just disagreeing with your point.

For me, although not having to shell out £ for memory cards is a bonus, the biggest advantage of the Hard Drive is the ability to rip MP3s onto it. It's a blast listening to my own soundtrack while screaming around corners in MotoGP. No, there are no games that couldn't be made without the HD (with the possible exceptions of Morrowind, Project Ego, and Blinx), but most are made better. The HD allows for more detailed save files because you're not limited to a 4 or 8 MB cartridge, and also speeds up loading times and enhances graphics processing. (if used properly) Again, I'll let someone who has a better handle on the hardware get more specific.

the only real benefit for having a hard drive as far as i can see is to download ileagal games from the net and play them from the hard drive, which so many people are doing which will destroy the xbox, just look at the PC pirate scene its massive

Yes, and I think we can all agree that piracy has led to the downfall of the PC industry. Try and find a place that sells PCs these days... you can't do it! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Azrikam

As for what I know (and correct me if you have proof), the XBox is currently the most hack-proof console on the market, with the exception of the Gamecube due to their proprietary discs. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, I'm just disagreeing with your point.

The XBOX has been extensively hacked already. Mod chips such as the Xtender and Xecuter are widely available and allow the use of backups.

The HD allows for more detailed save files because you're not limited to a 4 or 8 MB cartridge, and also speeds up loading times and enhances graphics processing. (if used properly) Again, I'll let someone who has a better handle on the hardware get more specific.

Indeed, this should be the case if used properly but unfortunately up until this point, I have seen no evidence of it. Loading times on my GC are noticeably quicker than on my XBOX. Why? I do not know but they are.

On a side note, threads like this are pointless because they inevitably descend in to the inevitable.

ps. is there too many inevitables in the above statement :D.

PCS will never die because they are not solely gaming machines, its completely different scenrio for a start there is not one certain company that makes a PC, if a certain game is pirated on the PC it does not hurt the PC in anyway (just the developer of the game), if a certain game is pirated on the X box its hurts the game developer and microsoft, and to say the x box is the most hack proof (aside from gamecube) is 100% wrong the x box protection was cracked within a week of of its release not only can you download x box games and burn them for play but you can even downlaod them onto the x box hard drive and play from there, every single x box game which is released is cracked and available freely to download from the net, you do search for a x box game on e donkey or anouther file sharing program and you will get 100's if not 1000's of results, ok you need a fast connection, but they are readily available now, the people who have access to ilegal games will NEVER buy anouther x box game that not only hurts the game producer but MS as well as they dont get any revinue (spelling) from the games

FACT : X-Box is the most hacked console in the world to date, you could do disc drive backups of SNES games, however you were not able to emu MAME etc. on it.

FACT : Piracy is extremely easy, I can source a couple places on the net where I can download full X-Box games.

FACT : The transfer rates from Flash memory (memory cards) far surpasses the transfer rates from a HD, hence why saves will load quicker from a card (I assume the bandwidth from the flash memory is quite high). Games saved to the HD should load quicker than from CD-ROM though. However this is down to the developer. Console developers are well known for their very good use of the medium. I am frequently waiting for far longer on the PC, however this often is because the PC utilizes larger textures and and loads up far more data.

Duly noted. I honestly wasn't aware that XBox had been hacked that wide open. I had been paying attention to this stuff before the official release but not since.

Course, I still disagree with the statement that anybody who has access to pirated games will never buy another game. That's just hooey. But, since this discussion isn't productive, I'll take Groundy's advice and move on. :)

I agree we have sort of missed the point of the post, at £160 its a good buy especially if you dont have a DVD player, but for me i dont want to spend £160 on features like a hard drive which are pretty pointless in my oppinion, like it was said in a previous post gamecube loads faster than x box without a hard drive?
i am just interested in how the x box will survive with low sales, piracy and losing a huge amount per x box sale. As i said before i wonder how much MS are willing to throw away to make it a success?

i am now going to leave this post alone :)

Originally posted by Azrikam
Yes, and I think we can all agree that piracy has led to the downfall of the PC industry. Try and find a place that sells PCs these days... you can't do it! :rolleyes:

Downfall? The number of PCs sold has recently passed the 500m mark!

The PC still has the widest range, and the most innovation in gaming genres. (With the possible exception of lightgun or dancemat type games).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom