1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Price Cut??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by laurel, Apr 5, 2002.

1. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Even if they do cut the price in Japan I still can't see it doing the business out there.

3. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Ono, don't expect to see a price cut for a long while yet. Possibly not until christmas. Microsft are already making a considerable loss on every unit sold.

Although it could seriously do with one.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Price cut. You are more optomistic than me :D

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, here's another article that seems to point towards a cut possibly even before the end of the month.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-884393.html

I, for one, badly want an X-Box, but there's no way I'm paying the current price for it.

The article mentions that the European price has hurt sales everywhere but Britain. I guess consumers here are used to getting screwed, and just come to expect it. :D

6. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you wait until Xmas you may get , lets say £100.00 off. I personally would rather pay the extra £100 now and have the extra 9 months of high quality gaming. And I have :D

No regrets at all. I've even got my girlfriend playing Halo co-operative mode. Just finished Silent Cartogropher in Heroic. She loves it....

and Halo:blush:

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, Halo is beckoning me to spend money I don't have. Right now, most of the games I'm looking for are still on the horizon, so apart from Halo (and maybe one or two others) there's not much in the library that I'm interested in.

So, here's hoping that the price comes down before another "killer app" game comes out that forces me to buy the system. Still, it would be nice to see the system on par with the US price.

8. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    blimey, beat it on heroic on co-op with your girlfriend! :eek:
    Now I've heard that - My girlfriend is so going to spend the weekend with joystick in hand. I'm stuck on level 2 on heroic- dead tough stuff, I think.

9. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Click here

299 Euro = 183.48907 British Pound

1 Euro = 0.61368 British Pound
    1 British Pound = 1.62952 Euro

not bad 'eh!

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just as i had my mind set on a Gamecube - can I start the first XBox or Gamecube thread ?!

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Price drop is official from next friday..here's the full story direct from Microsoft..
    thanks to cyberheater on the Nextgen board for the heads-up..

"A big Thank You to all Xbox gamers!

If games are the food of life then if you bought your Xbox before 26th April 2002 prepare for a feast! As you may have read Xbox is coming down in price in the UK to a recommended street price of £199. As a big "THANK YOU" to everyone who bought an Xbox before 26th April we are offering, until 1st July 2002, the chance for you to get 2 games and an Xbox Controller for FREE! That means you could be playing games like Halo, Rallisport Challenge, Project Gotham Racing, Amped, Oddworld or Dead or Alive 3 amongst other great games for free! We are looking to extend the list of games on offer so if you can wait then we'd recommend you check back on this site on April 26th for the full list of games.

So, what do you need to do?

It's very simple. Just download this application form http://download.playmore.com/application/uk.doc, complete the required details (address, name, games I want, etc.) and email it to xbox@msdirectservices.com . The only qualifying factor is that you bought your Xbox in one of the 16 European launch countries before the 26th April 2002. That's it! We hope you enjoy this opportunity to play more of the great games Xbox has to offer.

We hope you continue to enjoy the Xbox experience whether it be fragging in Halo, kicking & punching in Dead or Alive 3 or fighting that over steer in Rallisport Challenge!

Enjoy!"

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To quote the Kool-aid man... Oooooh Yeahh!

Looks like I'll have an XBox by the end of the month. Sometimes good things do happen.

13. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Told you! :D :D :D

14. justy101

justy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I might have to buy mine this week. £299 seems cheap!

Think about it £199 xbox + 2 games(£45 each) + extra controller(£25) = £314

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out Ebay. You can get most games on there barely used and sometimes for half price. £45 is just silly in my opinion.

Woooopppeeeeeeeee, I'm gonna get an Xbox after all. £200 looks so much more affordable than £300.

16. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES! £200... I can't wait now! I was waiting for that drop, hopefully it will be by the end of the month.

17. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have 8 days to wait. The price should be £199 in retailers by from 26th April.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong (it happened once in the mid-80's), but I'm starting to worry now about stock shortages. If these boards are any indication, I think a lot of people were either holding off for more games or a drop in price. With the price now dropped, I'm gonna make sure to get my system as early as possible after the reduction date, cause I don't think they are going to last.

Is it just me, or is this a bigger deal than launch day?

19. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's pretty major. Spare a thought for the poor gits on Ebay who are bidding £280 for seconhand machines in auctions that have 30 mins to run. Can they retract their bids in time? Sellers must be gnawing on their nails too.

20. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the list of games expands outside their own. I already own the main launch titles !!

21. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Stewart,
    Microsoft have stated that a full list of available games will be published on 26th April, so hopefully there will be third party games aswell..:)

22. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talk about Microsoft using the oldest sales trick in the book - discounting. Originally sell it for £299, then bring the price down a month latter to £199, it then looks like Microsoft are doing everyone a favor (when they probably planned to do this all along). So what does everybody do who was maybe thinking of buying one, go out and buy one just as the gamecube is about to be launched. This may truly screw Nintendo in Europe, probably not Japan though.

Very clever, I will give Microsoft this they are very good at their marketing and screwing the competition with it, which is probably why they are the biggest software company in the world.

23. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, we knew it was the best console but £300? A bit steep for some of us. Then suddenly it's under £200! Wow, let's all rush out and get a £300 machine for £200.

I tell you what, Sony must be seriously worried tonight. This could be a defining move in the console wars. I guess all Sony can do is cut the PS2 to £150 and hurry up with PS3.

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Guess who has a birthday on the 27th. I feel a present coming on....:)

Re price reduction. I'll eat my hat. I never thought this would happen. Glad it has though :D

25. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Along with all the bad things about a massive monopolistic company selling my favorite console, (MS if you haven't guessed) there are some good things. Just being able to discount the system by 50% is in part because MS has deeeeeep pockets.

But, as for them planning this all along, I seriously doubt it. If it was a world-wide discount, then I'd get suspicious. But, MS simply looked at their sales figures for Europe and made the right decision.

This is also a good indication of Microsoft's intentions towards the system. They are worried about market share all over, which proves (in my opinion anyway) that they are dedicated to the XBox for the long-term. Even more reason for me to buy one. :D

26. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

You need to be more optomistic matey! :D

Do you think the fact I was willing it to happen made it so? :eek:

Cheers

Laurel

27. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should help Uri Geller with David Beckhams foot.

NOT.......................NO.......No

28. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just had to be mad to pay £300 for it. It just had to come down. Could things come to those who wait...

29. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    actually those who didn't wait..make an extra saving..it turns out that my xbox now only costs me about £175 considering the
    presents that MS will be giving us.
    I'm well chuffed. :)

Shaz