1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox + Pio 433HDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by morgb, Jun 10, 2003.

1. morgb

morgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again folks,

Can anyone recommend the best way to :-

1 Hook up the xbox to the pio plasma tuner, any specific cable package I should get (I'm already using component Vid connections for the DVD)

2 Which contrast settings should I be using for gaming, also I would be interested in any feedback from gamers that use their consoles a LOT on the pioneer 433HDE.

Once again.........thanks for sharing your knowledge.

cheers. :hiya:

System Details : Pioneer 433HDE, SKY+, Sony DAVS880, Optimum AV Stand.

2. Craig B

Craig B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got virtually the same setup as you except I have a Tivo instead of a Sky+. I connect the Xbox to the Tivo VCR input (RGB capable) using the Microsoft Advanced Scart cable. The Tivo is connected to Input 1 (Set to RGB). It works well as as soon as you turn the xbox on the Tivo automatically routes it to the screen so no input changing needed. It looks superb and the widescreen stretching is not noticeable at all.

On the audio side I have the Xbox connected to Video2 optical input and a Gamecube connected to Video2 analogue input. The Sony Dav plays whichever source is active so no switching there either.

When I first got the screen there was a lot of slight "after-image" where the static items were, such as speedos/life meters. These were visible if you looked hard but disappeared after watching normal TV for 5-10 minutes. Now I have had the screen for a while I never see any of the ghosting, I have seen mention on some forums that plasmas get more resistant to burn-in/ghosting after 100 hours or so.

I originally switched the AV selection on the plasma to game but I don't bother anymore. I really don't worry about burn-in, although I never play a console for more than 2 hours at a time. I think the golden rule is just to display normal images for a while if you do see any ghosting just for peace of mind.

In conclusion the Pioneer 433HDE/Xbox combination is absolutely superb. Xbox Media Player streaming DivX's from my PC look fantastic also, better than broadcast TV, even on a 43inch screen.

3. morgb

morgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds really cool, Next on my list is to setup the xbox properly + get it sorted :smashin:

Totally off subject, you said you had your xbox streaming content from your PC, is this AVI + MPG files ??

How you doing this, sorry to be a pest, but it sounds the ideal setup for me.

Any good websites on the subject.

thanks again.

cheers.

4. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the U.S. you get a HiDef Kit for the XBox. This output 480p (Progressive NTSC) at least and some games also support 720p, 1080i and run in 16:9 mode. Microsoft were suppose to be releasing a VGA output from the Xbox but they dropped this idea. That would of meant that you could of connected your Xbox to a monitor/plasma or projector and wouldn't have to suffer interlaced video.

I did read a bit more about this and it appears that if you put the Xbox in VGA mode it does produce a progressive signal although I did read that it was progressive component. You can get a cable that works for PAL units from http://www.digital-x.de/KNOWHOW/XBOX/xbox_dx_vga_box/xbox_dx_vga_box.htm#9999 and it costs 89 Euro's

This would give you the best output possible from a PAL Xbox.

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how is that different to this vga adaptor at the bottom of the page:

Vga adaptor

6. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Key Digital make a KD-X8 which costs 200 USD. This definately does work with progressive NTSC and has a VGA passthru like the unit you are talking about.
    http://www.keydigital.com

The unit that you found can either work in two ways. It either is a pure progressive or it has a simple line doubler which converts from 15.6kHz (interlacd) to 31.5kHz(non-interlaced). You would want the first one but it doesn't really describe it well enough to determine this.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For Key Digital in the UK, talk with Gordon of Convergent AV.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. Craig B

Craig B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I've not replied earlier but I have been away.

My xbox has been chipped and runs the xbox media player. It streams avi, mpg, xvid, divx and probably others also. A fantastic bit of software, further details at:

http://www.xbox-scene.com

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de

Best of luck

9. morgb

morgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig,

I took the plunge and got my box modified, it now runs media player + has 120GB drive installed, I cant praise xbox media player enough...........it's amazing truly amazing.

It's gonna change my whole viewing / media centre / gaming experiance.

thanks for putting me onto this great bit of software.

cheers.

next step.........re-building my PC to work through plasma.