1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox owners kiss your social life goodbye

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Gary D, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i went to a friends last night, stepped into his darkened front room and he told me to sit in "his" chair (hmmm i thought whats he up too? he never asks me to sit in his chair) then he told me to close my eyes, about a minute or two later he told me to open them - my eyes filled with bright light and my ears were filled with music - the music i know that music i thought, no it cant be surely, not that - no i mustn't be - holy ****! it is - its Halo 2

played through first two levels and i have to say its a killer, jaw droppingly wonderful. beautiful to look at the sound will blow your socks off.

i'm not going to say anymore until its released, but from what i've seen no one will be disappointed.

Gary

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Excellent, cannot wait :smashin:

3. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I recently dug out the first Halo and was surprised at how bad it looked! And to think, it looked amazing when I first got it. It's amazing what can they do 2 years later with the same hardware.

4. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    "I recently dug out the first Halo and was surprised at how bad it looked! And to think, it looked amazing when I first got it. It's amazing what can they do 2 years later with the same hardware."

I wouldn't get too excited, in my opinion the graphics are almost the same. Sure, they've been beefed up, but its not likely to blow your mind like the original.

The game is great, but to me its just carries on where the original left off (not necessarily a bad thing), its nothing new. I've only played single player by the way...

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont agree the graphics are supstantially better in my opinion. The single player is brilliant but the real reason to get this is the multiplayer. Its easly the best FPS I have ever played.

In a word unbelivable.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I thought it was boring!
    Fable is so much better.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    steady!!!!

gary

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I severely doubt it is going to be as good as Half Life 2 :)

The reviews that are starting to appear for that look like it will be the best FPS of all time so far :)

Hehe argueing over whose FPS is better makes a change from consoles :)

9. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I agree multiplayer is the reason for getting the game, but I feel a little let down with the single player; mainly due to the unreasonable hype the game has received.

Don't get me wrong the single player mode has some great bits but also some boring bits. I find the indoor bits repetitive. Move down a corridor kill 10 aliens, move down another corridor (which looks exactly the same) and kill another 10 aliens (the same 10) and then repeat, and then repeat again...oh and then again. When you get to drive/fly a vehicle its excellent, and the open battles are pretty exciting, but before long your back inside the repeating corridors again. Halo 1 had the same routine. Don't get me wrong its a great game, and probably is the best FPS on the xbox, but single players may not be blown away like they (and me) were in the original. Online of course is a differnet kettle of fish....

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I've never understood why Halo is so highly praised. Repetitive levels, repetitive enemies...I got bored of the first one about half way through.

I agree with you also that the indoor levels are boring (well in Halo 1 they were), the outside levels were really good though. Still, Halo 2 has nearly finished downloading, so I'll see if number 2 is much better before I go out and buy it

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i dont think i'd argue from what i've read - but just think of the ninja PC you need to run it - that where the differance is!

Gary

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I didnt say it was the best FPS of all time I said it was the best FPS I have ever played :lesson:

Are we ever going to actually get to play HL2 ??????????????

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Hehe I doubt it :) apologies for twisting your words as well

I am not sure you will need one, the source demo on CS runs pretty smoothly on my PC and it is only a 9800 Pro, Athlon 2200 and 512megs RAM, which costs peanuts these days in PC terms.

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a bit of an unfair comparison, but Halo 2 Vs HL2 will is going to be a big arguing (debating?) point once both are released.

Graphics-wise, I would expect HL2 to blow Halo out of the water, especially on a top-of-the-line PC. And when it comes to multi-player, Half-Life is on another level. Take the massive amount of online PC gamers available, add in the incredible work of the mod community, and no console game can compete. (at the moment)

But, I still expect Halo 2 to be running almost non-stop in our house all through the holidays. Whether it be me slogging through on Legendary, my roommate and I running through single-player in co-op, or multiplayer with as many as we can fit into the house, I haven't looked forward to a game like this in quite a long time.

I'm most impressed by the updates that Bungie has released about the game. (such as THIS dual-wielding guide: possible spoilers) Dual-wielding weapons, more in-depth MP options, etc, etc. It looks like Halo 2 is a proper sequel. And, I've heard that US gamers now have a keyboard-mouse peripheral to use with their XBoxen. :eek:

15. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I dunno about that. I played the first couple of levels in single player and played the (very few) multiplayer maps and it seemed to me *exactly* like the first game, graphics, sound and gameplay-wise. Even a couple of the multiplayer maps are the same as in halo 1. Im sure if there was a level editor available, anyone couldve knocked this game up. The new weapons are ok, no better than halo 1, dual wield is nothing special, blowing up vehicles is ok but barely worth mentioning. The only improvements i could tell was the ai is slightly different and the graphics in cutscenes are a lot better. Feels more like an expansion pack than a sequel. I'll still buy it as i liked the original and these are new levels atleast.

16. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    how ? demo ? someone on the inside ? friends with Mr Gates ?

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Halo 2 - like most stuff - is easy to find on the net.

18. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Ah ah ah - stop right there! I have to say that I expect to play Halo 2 multiplayer far more than Half Life 2 multiplayer. I have been consistently disappointed with FPS multiplayers on the PC, and aside from the first few weeks when CounterStrike was untainted and fun, I have generally stayed away.

The beauty of Halo 2 online is that it should be an even playing field, and winners will hopefully be the best players, not who has the latest hacks. Add in voice comms as standard (I know CS supports voice comms, but so few people use it) and for me its Half Life 2 offline and Halo 2 online. All IMHO of course.

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    :eek:

CS is superb, sure there's hackers out there but NOTHING touches it for online gameplay imho.

Just played a bit of Halo 2, thank God I didn't shell out any money for it. Same monsters, almost the same weapons, same graphics (with a few tweaks), nothing new. Utterly boring.

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've got a friend who has a habit (bad) of wearing eye patches and having parrotts on his shoulders.

I'm waiting for the english version before i play it properly, you lose half the story and the atmosphere playing in french (which is what all these people have done - although someone will no doubt claim that they have the english version)

I've been looking forawrd to this game for 2 and half years - another couple of weeks aren't going to hurt.

as for claims that its utterly boring, i think thats a bit over the top. Boring is watching paint dry or listen to ferguson and wenger moan about the merits of prima-donnas diving. Halo is not "boring". it might be similair to the first one but i dare say we expected that as its got a "2" in the title, i for one would have been hacked off it was radically different from the first one. having looked at GTA:SA that very simialiar to the GTA3 and GTA:VC so is that boring too?

Gary

21. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Somehow I doubt that. The prize for first overreaction to Halo 2 not making their toast for them/improving their sex life goes to Smurfin! I at least thought we'd make release day!

Plus - it'd be a bit of a disappointment as a sequel if it didn't have some continuation from the first - ie. same monsters, familiar locales.

22. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    im glad a few people found the first one boring,as i thought i was the only one.

ill be avoiding number 2 unless the multiplayer side of it proves to be a good selling point.the 1player does not interest me at all.

23. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I wasn't a fan of the first one, but I dearly wanted to be. It was, other than PGR, the only game with the credentials to own when I first got an Xbox. Or so I thought.
    I found Halo's story to be like some failed GCSE coursework it was so by-the-numbers.:boring: The weapons didn't make things better, all of them worked in the same way - no grenade launcher , no flame thrower, mines etc. just guns and rifles, oh and that funny purple thing which didn't seem to be much use. Interior levels? there really were astonishingly boring, other than the last bit in the game. If these haven't been improved, then bungie want shot for a missed opportunity. I must admit to not being a fan of multiplayer games, so I didn't really get into Halo MP.
    I have said this before and got flamed by some folk, but I will say it again: If you look at No One Lives Forever 2, Deus Ex or something there is genuine progression in the design and content of FPS's. The stories are great, the weapons inovative, characters well developed and decent enemies. None of which, I reckon, Halo had.
    Today, we have some very good titles on console. Riddick is very good indeed, for example. Condensed (I hate long games) good story and well designed graphics. Characters with personality, for God's sake.
    Going off what some have said above, it may be that as games have evolved in this way, Halo 2 might be left looking a bit retro? I don't suppose that would stop all those people who liked Halo from buying the sequel, even if it winds up all more of the same.

Russell

24. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Where exactly did I ask Halo2 to make me toast or improve my sex life? :rolleyes: (oh sorry you were being funny)

I just wanted it to be an inspired, exciting game. But no, it's not, and if that offends the fanboy sensibilities in you then that's your problem:) Halo2 isn't very good, and it IS boring (imho). If it IS boring to me, that's hardly an over-reaction is it? :rolleyes:

25. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Fair point - it was a lame attempt at humour :rolleyes:

But there's a difference between being a fanboy and enjoying a game and realising the sequel might not be "utterly boring".

26. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I always found the overall design aesthetic of Halo to be quite grating....the covenant are not very well designed and the colours are garish and cartoon-like.

I would far prefer dank, dingy corridors over bright pink ones and the aliens to be more sinister, more 'predator' like maybe....I know you may say that would make it more run-of-the-mill and less 'original' but I think it would add immensely to the atmosphere.

27. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Halo 2 multiplayer features video - I'd recommend anyone interested in seeing what Halo 2 Online has to offer to watch this movie. Its a bit of an understatement to say this has got me looking forward to Nov 11th... :clap:

I'm not even sure I'll get around to the single player, too much other stuff to do...

28. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    game was cool but didnt live up to the hype for me gfx look nice on HD but game was too easy finished it in about 2 days expected more really :(

29. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    The man that speaketh the truth - Lorenzini

30. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    And you played this on what difficulty level?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.