Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Xbox One X - VR ?

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by oasismark, Nov 13, 2017.

1. oasismark

oasismark
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,687
      The Elephant in the Virtual Room?

MS initially mentioned VR in its 'Scorpio' launch, but all is very quiet now?

Is this still happening?

Is it dropped?

My big hope for PSVR was Elite Dangerous, and that never happened because i guess even the Pro was not dreamed powerful enough. Do we think the X has that power now?

Its obviously months away maybe years, but i do hope MS release a VR headset, not the Holo lens thing.

Sony are supporting the PSVR pretty well, but as a 1st gen bit of tech i think its lacking the power for the full games we want.

Thoughts?

2. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,703
      I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had power aplenty but is not lucrative enough. I think they'll gauge the VR market for 12 months or so, and then wheel out their headset if all looks dandy. Must admit that I was a bit gutted when they went quiet about the whole thing.

3. iwb100

iwb100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,913
      Might happen next gen. Can't see it happening before. At all.

4. oasismark

oasismark
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,687
      You still don't think the Xbox X has the power?

5. iwb100

iwb100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,913
      Not to do with power. VR isn't ready for the mass market. Phil Spencer has said that a few times. I agree with him.

As he's said he's not that interested till you have a wireless headset at consumer prices.

We're a way off yet. Also its sold to what 2% of the PS4 playerbase? Something around that.

Given MS are already taking flack for a lack of exclusives, how would they support (with games) another platform on top that would have a small install base?

MS have been here with kinect, a device that sold well, but ended up getting burned.

IMHO VR is 5 years or may away from being something the mass market will adopt. Battlefront 2 for example was meant to have something for PSVR but that was canned. It just isn't quite there yet. The tech is currently for enthusiasts. There are very few full games you can play on it. It just isn't there yet. Until you can sell 10 million headsets its going to be a big resource commitment for a tiny pay-off.

6. oasismark

oasismark
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,687
      Some good points there. :smashin:

7. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +695
      After Kinect literally dying (they stopped making the things last month) i suspect they will tread very carefully with any new add on.
      Remember Xbox One was called "One" due to the Kinect making it an all can do system.
      Originally all Xbox Ones were going to have the Kinect like it or not you were going to get one included.
      Sony, Price and the general public changed all that.
      Just like the fact they were going to stop printing games on disc. It was all going DL/Stream.

8. rob_brum

rob_brum

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      I think we might see something next year, the playstation has VR so the one X should be able to do it, i think they will wait untill its a bit more established in the PC market but i doubt they will make their own, prob partner with someone.

I think they have learnt from kinect, VR would need to launch with a good ammount of games/apps to have a chance at being viable, making it easy for games and apps on the PC to get ported onto the xbox can only be a good thing.

Its def something im interested in if the price is right, everyone ive spoken to thats tried it have only said good things.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    9. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +773
      1million and rising psvr headsets sold

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    10. rowedav

rowedav
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,258
      Albert Penello in a recent interview (think it was with GTR) said it was about focus. They can only do so much in other words, and wanted to get the X launch done properly first.

I think it'll come at some point in the next year or two - maybe an announcement of some kind at this years E3, or next? The past few E3s have had an "engineering" type announcement - elite controller, 360 back compat, OG back compat.

Penello also pointed out that MS as a company have been doing a lot in the AR/MR/VR space...so I wouldn't be surprised if something was in the works...

11. MadMaelstrom

MadMaelstrom

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +164
      MS's HoloLens technology is also still quite expensive- this is the technology i'd expect to see adopted by the Xbox 1X

12. Lord Soth

Lord Soth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      I agree 2% of PS4 owners sounds like a ‘tiny payoff’ however that headline figure translates to around 1.5m units at over £300 a pop, a not insubstantial amount. Couple that with a much higher attach ratio of PSVR owners buying VR games, then MS could miss out on a very lucrative product and also lose out on development expertise. Seems odd when windows 10 supports a range of VR headsets.

Sony is now producing lots of terrific VR games with third party developers too making profitable titles. VR is amazing and whilst I also have an Oculus Rift, I probably use the lesser powered PSVR more often. I find ‘normal’ games nowhere near as immersive or interesting as VR. I would’ve bought an Xbox one X in an instant if VR was supported. I do think they will support VR eventually just now now.

13. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,247
      I'm sure it'll get some announcement next year. Why leave Sony able to say "PlayStation, the only option for console VR". Expect MS to have a collaboration with Oculis Rift for compatibility and a number of PC games already available in VR to be likewise on their X version. I just want Project Cars games in VR, plus Elite. They would be amazing on X and it has the power to do VR properly, unlike PS4.

Was gutted they didn't announce anything at E3 after the promo vid last year with the Fallout dev mentioning VR. I'd be more interested getting a VR headset than a 4K TV.

14. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,348
      TBH I'm not sure they will. They would surely announce it now so that people will know its coming and not to be tempted by the PSVR or leave Sony another year unchallenged if even just announcing it. Especially considering PSVR is now down to £250 for the complete package!

15. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,247
      I can see it both sides. But I just think they maybe wanted all focus on the actual X launch this year and what it can and can't do for normal gaming set ups and native 4k etc without distraction with VR also.

I think next year with the new hardware launches done they will want some big announcement and a killer VR showing could be it. May not be, but can't imagine just a focus on games when they generally lack many exclusives....if however, they throw the best console VR options into the mix for new and existing games it will be positive.

16. next010

next010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,984
      The immediate problem is that MS doesn't have the content.

The Windows Mixed Reality system is basically the Hololens system without the real world part.

It has quite limited content but the launch of the WinMR ( just VR) headsets may change that. One of the biggest selling points of the WinMR headsets is that they have compatibility with SteamVR which is a far larger ecosystem than MS VR.

Xbox would only have access to the small offerings present in the MS Store and MS finds it hard enough to get regular PC games to be part of the Xbox Play Anywhere program. I do not think they would pursue Xbox VR exclusives rather you would plug in any old WinMR headset into Xbox and play the same VR games you would on your PC.

Getting developers on board into doing that means sales of WinMR headsets doing okay and spending lots of money in funding ports of VR titles to the MS Store.

The top of the line Samsung WinMR headset is really nice, a very thorough review, in some ways better than the HTC Vive.

17. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,348
      While I think it can be really good, I think i'm going to wait until theres a wireless version that isn't as big before I really contemplate getting into VR. I was wowed to begin with thats for sure but that soon passes I'd imagine for a lot of people.

18. iwb100

iwb100

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,913
      They won't be making money on the headset. It's just not a mass market commercial product. And diverting resources to it in MS position now would be a waste.

They will sell far more X consoles than they would any VR headset.

I think the tech isn't ready for the market yet.

19. Lord Soth

Lord Soth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      The tech is most definitely ready, I spend the majority of my time in vr rather than, to me, more boring conventional games. Clearly consoles themselves sell many more however the number of vr sets bought represent millions of £s and is not insubstantial. Several software titles have already sold in excess of £1m and that is where Sony will make their money as I agree there is little or no profit on the headsets themselves. Games in vr are just so much better imo as you feel closely connected to the game. I am more than happy with the current sets however massive investment is continuing to made in vr which will mean even better headsets over the next few years.

20. RugerRino

RugerRino
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      First lets go with facts yes they have said that Xbox One X will still get VR, just not at release. No VR is not unified in the way it is done, no not allot of PS VR is out there but another fact is that Skyrim VR sold more than the Switch Skyrim editions did. As to if that I not enough or if the failure of the Kinect is a determining factor you can really say because actual numbers and what is in their mind is not public record however VR and AR is the future of gaming hands down as to if that is a fact or not is yet to be determined. Xbox is now behind the curb when it comes to VR tech even Nintendo is looking at releasing VR though what the switch would need may not justify the cost. Xbox One not even the One X can run a single screen VR system with the use of Kinect as the outside sensor much like how PS did their VR, not that I think Xbox will release a Xbox One S version because why would the average joe upgrade not that most would upgrade to VR the first year. As to the failure of Kinect it is centered around movement and well most gamer don't move when playing and some that game like myself cant move so it was doomed to fail from the start though use of voice commands on some games was fun just no worth the extra cost, then the deciding failure was the fact that so little 3rd party devs made games centered around the Kinect and in gaming the death of anything is lack of 3rd party support. Will this be the case with VR, NO it will not every major game dev is making VR games or upgrading games for VR because they know what I know, that VR and AR is the future of gaming.