Xbox One X, Samsung HW-K950 & Dolby Atmos

Discussion in 'TV & Multimedia via Xbox One' started by jms_uk, Nov 16, 2017.

1. jms_uk

jms_uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +200
      Just thought I'd spin up a quick thread on this topic given I've been seeing a number of items on the internet recently where people are experiencing problems - and losing confidence - in getting proper Dolby Atmos from their One X's; so I thought I'd share my experiences in case it helps anyone :) (Probably the same for One S owners so do read on..)

I saw the issues myself an hour or so ago when I tried to play my Man of Steel 4K Ultra BluRay via the BluRay app on the One X. Just after the bluray logo, I got a message saying the decoder/receiver isn't compatible with the audio and to turn off the pass audio to the receiver option under the XBox's settings -> blu ray menu. Previously this was ticked and I'm certain it worked just fine. Anyway, turning that option off allowed the disc to play but although the soundbar itself popped up the Dolby Atmos message, it certainly wasn't a true Atmos sound track; just didn't sound right and nothing was coming from the upwards firing speakers.

So I went back to the Atmos experience app and everything played fine there. I then fired up the Plex app and tried a DD5.1 intro video, knowing that the soundbar has a "pseudo Atmos audio upscaling mode" (which works surprisingly well for non Atmos sources) - and again, no audio from the upfiring speakers. I shut down the One X and tried the same video via the Plex app on the Smart TV platform itself (Samsung QE65Q9F Tizen smart tv) and this time the pseudo Atmos worked.

Now a lot of the articles/thread posts I saw online on this topic do seem to believe the problem is with the XBox implementation of Atmos support and I'm inclined to agree.

I put the One X into DTS and DD5.1 modes and those intro vids via plex played but very quiet. When I tried to switch the One X back to Atmos I got a system error saying my receiver didn't support it which I know was crap so I restarted the XBox. Sure enough, on reboot, all settings were back to Atmos (from DD5.1 where I left it last), the Dolby Experience demos played properly, the DD5.1 demo on Plex played properly with pseudo Atmos (just like when playing the same vid via Plex on the Smart TV) AND more importantly, the pass audio to receiver option under the bluray settings was ticked AND Man of Steel started just fine and played proper Atmos audio!!

Now I don't know if it was the faffery of switching the OneX to DTS and/or DD5.1 modes and then back to Atmos, getting the error and rebooting OR just rebooting the One X itself - however it does work just not with any consistency. Worth keeping an eye out on I think! I'm enrolled on the bleeding edge XBox preview track so I'll try and post feedback to Microsoft in the hopes that they'll look into it. In the meantime, a few final thoughts.

1. Dolby Atmos on the OneX + Samsung HW-K950 does work for everything, but it's buggy!
      2. Dolby Atmos audio initialisation is laggy. By that I mean there is a not insignificant delay between starting a source and the audio kicking in - not sure what can be done about that.
      3. When it works it sounds awesome!
      4. If you experience the issues I did - primarily on Ultra BluRay playback, just try re-starting the OneX and see if your discs start properly and give you true Atmos. If not, try changing the audio settings of the OneX to DTS or DD5.1 then back again and then follow up with a reboot.
      5. When I said I shut down the Xbox to test the TV, it was probably the quick shut down so not like a full reboot that I had to do above - most likely a difference in what does or doesn't get re-initialised
      Not a comprehensive fix by any means, but it's a start :)

2. N0ddie

N0ddie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +383
      I got our KW950 a few months ago and had initial teething problems getting it to work with the S. Everything worked ok in the Atmos app but when it came to play a 4K blu ray I got no sound.

It eventually worked through a combination of switching things on and off.

3. jms_uk

jms_uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +200
      Weird, as above playing a disc wasn't even possible if the bug occurred because I just got the warning message on the black screen. I think it was more the restart than anything else that got things sorted but clearly a bug MS need to diagnose and fix. Some kind of Atmos metadata getting lost when handshaking Atmos capable receivers perhaps?

4. next010

next010
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,093
      Atmos support is a bit wobbly with Xbox One X, been reading a fair number of comments about it in some AV circles & reviewers but getting MS attention is not so easy.

The guy on Forbes who pointed out the broken HDR also commented on Atmos, MS fixed the HDR in latest update so hopefully they are aware of the issue.

Other than that being part of Xbox insider program and report it as an issue.

5. petekv32

petekv32

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Any further with this? I can get sound through most settings, but when I choose Dolby Atmos Home theatre, (HDMI only) all goes very silent!!!
      Really frustrated.

6. jms_uk

jms_uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +200
      It has been okay for ages. I did add an Astro A50 into the setup for when I want surround audio but don't want to wake up the wife with the noise.

For that to work, I have the A50 base station connected to the X1X via TOSlink optical and have to manually go into the settings, turn optical on and switch from Atmos to Dolby Digital (reversing the settings when wanting to use the soundbar with Atmos) - all working perfectly fine until..

..Last weekend when I had friends over and wanted to demo the soundbar however, the demo-gods struck and I had exactly the same problem you describe above. Power cycled the X1X and the soundbar, unplugged power from the wall and left for minutes at a time, no dice. I then read somewhere that it might be worth switching the X1X from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 on the HW-K950 and guess what? It worked! Fearing I might have a dodgy HDMI port, which wasn't rational given there should've been zero wear and tear on the port since I left the X1X plugged in all the time, I switched the cable back to HDMI 1 and it still continued to work - take away being that there must be something off with the HW-K950's input detection.

Worth giving it a go, can't say its the definitive fix but it worked for me!

:)

7. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Sone Samsung TVs including my QLED 49 dont pass atmos over ARC so you need to go directly into your bar first, im not too sure if the higher model pass Atmos but due to this my next volley of TVS were not Samsung as i felt HDR10 and this lack of vison/Atmos wasn't good

as for your input problem, sounds like you need a firmware update, mines been fine since i activated it for my AS50 headset, but i just bought 2 new TVs a B7 and C8 LG and they just work no messing with them. I also bought 2 new soundbars Sony ZF9 and Sony ST5000 these both just work fine.

Both the sony bars work even when you go to the TVs as these TVS pass it all back so its pretty flawless.

8. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +467
      I'm rather confused here. I'm using Xbox One S and Anthem MRX720. Having installed the app, the Atmos label is constantly displayed with everything.... so now I don't have a clue when I'm getting genunie atmos or not.
      Back in the day, I would see Dolby Prologic, Dolby Digital 5.1, True HD, DTS-HD, all separately so I knew what was bitstreaming. But seeing Made in Chelsea displaying "atmos" with Mad Max UHD doesn't make sense?!

I'll post same thread on Anthem forum as it maybe something to do with that.

9. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Unfortunately the Xbox sends everything out as atomos, there’s no telling mines the same on both my 850 and Sony 5000