Question XBOX One X - LG C7 / Onkyo TX NR-535

Jonesy012

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick one.

I have been a bit out of the AV loop the last 2 years as I was focusing on my career / new family and have dropped off a bit, missing critical advancements in HDMI / 4K and HDR technologies which have crept up recently.

I naively picked up the Xbox One X all excitedly, as my current set up is from late 2014/early 2015 including the original Xbox One. However, I found my Philips 50PUS6809/12 did not support 4K 60Hz, and so at best I get a crisp 1080p image due to downscaling and better performance / visuals for my games.

Sounds ok I guess, but since I'm a video/audiophile at heart, this is eating away at me.

Long and short, I'm picking up an LG C7 at some point soon as there are some good deals on Curry's/PC World and I expect another drop around Black Friday. To be safe, I did a bit of revision on my Onkyo receiver as well prior to putting down so much money on a new TV to make sure that could handle 4K 60Hz / HDR.

The good news: 4k 60Hz is supported, brilliant. However, it does not support HDCP 2.2 as far as I can see (somebody please prove me wrong). I can't justify replacing my TV AND receiver when both are fully functional, so my question is:

Can I connect my XBOX One X directly to my TV to get the support for 4k 60hz and HDR, and then connect my receiver to the XBOX to keep the 5.1 Surround Sound, or does it absolutely need to go into the TV to get the audio benefits?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I have been a bit out of the AV loop the last 2 years as I was focusing on my career / new family and have dropped off a bit, missing critical advancements in HDMI / 4K and HDR technologies which have crept up recently.

I naively picked up the Xbox One X all excitedly, as my current set up is from late 2014/early 2015 including the original Xbox One. However, I found my Philips 50PUS6809/12 did not support 4K 60Hz, and so at best I get a crisp 1080p image due to downscaling and better performance / visuals for my games.

Sounds ok I guess, but since I'm a video/audiophile at heart, this is eating away at me.

Long and short, I'm picking up an LG C7 at some point soon as there are some good deals on Curry's/PC World and I expect another drop around Black Friday. To be safe, I did a bit of revision on my Onkyo receiver as well prior to putting down so much money on a new TV to make sure that could handle 4K 60Hz / HDR.

The good news: 4k 60Hz is supported, brilliant. However, it does not support HDCP 2.2 as far as I can see (somebody please prove me wrong). I can't justify replacing my TV AND receiver when both are fully functional, so my question is:

Can I connect my XBOX One X directly to my TV to get the support for 4k 60hz and HDR, and then connect my receiver to the XBOX to keep the 5.1 Surround Sound, or does it absolutely need to go into the TV to get the audio benefits?

Yes mate, you can go straight to the TV via HDMI for the 4KHDR video and then just output the audio via optical to your amp. I believe you are limited to DD5.1 etc. though and do not get HD audio via optical, but at least you can get 5.1 surround sound that way. I was in the same position (had a Sony STR1040 amp, which was not HDCP2.2) but upgraded to an Denon amp in the sale for just under £300.

I have trouble outputting the audio from my C7 to my Yamaha amp. For some reason it doesn't let both my X and SkyQ be set to Dolby Digital, the amp has a paddy and wont play the sound. I have to set my Xbox to DTS audio. It's the same for optical and hdmi arc - worked fine on my previous Sony Bravia so hoping it's a firmware issue.

Yes mate, you can go straight to the TV via HDMI for the 4KHDR video and then just output the audio via optical to your amp. I believe you are limited to DD5.1 etc. though and do not get HD audio via optical, but at least you can get 5.1 surround sound that way. I was in the same position (had a Sony STR1040 amp, which was not HDCP2.2) but upgraded to a Denon amp in the sale for just under £300.

Thanks, would there be a significant real world difference between DD5.1 and HD audio? I've only ever had HD audio via HDMI in the past.

Sounds like it would be a good temporary solution, but I wouldn't want to lose a large amount of audio quality in the process.

Last edited:
Thanks, would there be a significant real world difference between DD5.1 and HD audio? I've only ever had HD audio via HDMI in the past.

Sounds like it would be a good temporary solution, but I wouldn't want to lose a large amount of audio quality in the process.
I guess that depends on the quality of your AV set up & your own perception. I don't have a particularly expensive set up (Q Acoustic Speakers, a BK Sub, Denon 2200 Receiver) but I can tell the difference between standard DD5.1/DTS and say True HD, DTS HD etc. The sound is just more detailed and richer. You can also add vertical speakers and go for a spatial audio system (like Atmos) via HDMI.

Playing a standard DVD with 5.1 compared to a Blu Ray with an HD audio format (back to back) illustrated the sound improvement pretty well.

Standard 5.1 will still give you a reasonable effect, but personally, if you play a lot of games/watch a lot of films, it's worth upgrading the receiver. It's also fewer wires, but that's a fairly secondary consideration.

I guess that depends on the quality of your AV set up & your own perception. I don't have a particularly expensive set up (Q Acoustic Speakers, a BK Sub, Denon 2200 Receiver) but I can tell the difference between standard DD5.1/DTS and say True HD, DTS HD etc. The sound is just more detailed and richer. You can also add vertical speakers and go for a spatial audio system (like Atmos) via HDMI.

Playing a standard DVD with 5.1 compared to a Blu Ray with an HD audio format (back to back) illustrated the sound improvement pretty well.

Standard 5.1 will still give you a reasonable effect, but personally, if you play a lot of games/watch a lot of films, it's worth upgrading the receiver. It's also fewer wires, but that's a fairly secondary consideration.
Yeah, this is where I am really on the fence. I really do not want to compromise the audio quality and it would be therefore preferential to update the receiver. Problem being that it really does not need to be replaced at all.

Think I will hold off for a while to mull it over, my current setup still looks and sounds great for now.

Thanks for your help!

I had exactly the same idea, I got the Xbox OneX on release but had it hooked up to my 10 year old Sony Bravia 1080P (Yeah I was well overdue an upgrade) so I got the C7V with the SJ9 with wall mount from Currys..

This all new to me in regards of smart TVs and OLED and having to calibrate it, at first i connect the OneX to the TV and did the systems check and by my surprise it was saying that C7V didn't support 10bit at 60hz and the TV wouldn't enable HDR under gaming.. this was to keep the latency to 21m/s..

Has anyone on here successfully set up their OneX where all the boxes have been ticked green via the Xbox menu?!

Has your AVR got HDMI OP?

Im not 100% sure but I think the series 7 OLEDs can pass HD audio now over HDMI arc.

I had exactly the same idea, I got the Xbox OneX on release but had it hooked up to my 10 year old Sony Bravia 1080P (Yeah I was well overdue an upgrade) so I got the C7V with the SJ9 with wall mount from Currys..

This all new to me in regards of smart TVs and OLED and having to calibrate it, at first i connect the OneX to the TV and did the systems check and by my surprise it was saying that C7V didn't support 10bit at 60hz and the TV wouldn't enable HDR under gaming.. this was to keep the latency to 21m/s..

Has anyone on here successfully set up their OneX where all the boxes have been ticked green via the Xbox menu?!

You need to enable the HDMI ports, see the article below (there’s a section for the LG OLEDs)
How to enable HDR for Xbox One X on popular 4K TVs

Once you’ve done this you should have greens ticks all the way down [emoji106]

The ideal solution to your problem is HDMI eARC the next gen replacement for the old HDMI ARC standard which can only pipe Dolby/DTS 5.1 over the HDMI cables via the designated ARC port on the TV so sound system goes into ARC and anything plugged direct into TV gets it's audio transferred to the sound system.

The new eARC standard supports HD audio formats and the latest and greatest in the form of Atmos and others.

However your TV, receiver and Xbox would all have to be updated to support eARC, the good news is the Xbox should get it as eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard and MS have said the Xbox will be getting updated to this once the standard is fully approved in 2018.

The TV & receiver on the other hand it's hard to say, LG have been pretty good in terms of feature updates to the OLED's and even have a custom extension to the old plain ARC that supports Dolby Atmos but the receiver getting eARC support may be the trickiest part.

Onkyo do release firmware updates to the device, if you have never touched the firmware update tool (it looks like it has a built in internet one) then do try updating, there is a very remote chance they added HDCP 2.2 support but it doesn't look like it from what I can see online. Email Onkyo and ask is there any chance the TX-NR535 will get HDMI eARC support and if they say yes you could hold onto it.

Edit: Another option would be a HDMI audio extractor, this would sit between the Xbox and TV with a pass-through that could connect to the TX-NR535 bypassing the lack of HDCP 2.2 support, however I've not yet seen any HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 10-bit HDR extractors on the market yet, there may be some, most of the 4K ones advertised are HDMI 1.4 (4K@30fps).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom