Xbox One X Is Yours Faulty & Why?

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by delboyuk2005uk, Nov 11, 2017.

1. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +73
      I have been hearing that some Xbox One X are faulty.

Seems to be more the Scorpio edition.

I have yet to open my normal edition so fingers crossed I am ok.

Also what Xbox One X did you get and are you happy with the edition you got?

2. Princess Daisy

Princess Daisy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +199
      no issues with my scorpio so far other than the youtube app freezing and requiring a quit, i have swapped to the mytube app and that is behaving itself.

I love my scorpio as the free stand is great and allows better air flow.

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,371
      I've got a Scorpio Edition and have no issues at all. It's incredibly quiet, even after playing Forza 7, Halo 5 or Gears 4 for a couple of hours. Love it :)

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,228
      Another happy Scorpio owner here, runs silently for the most part but the longer it’s on the hotter it will get and the more the fans will work.

5. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +668
      Apart from the chip (Grrrrr!), all good with my Scorpio.

6. iwb100

iwb100
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      All good here so far. It does get very hot at the back but that is by design I think.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,371
      Indeed, that's where you want the heat. I believe that the system chips can run at temps of up to 85 degrees C, before the auto shut off kicks in and that system shut down will be a fair few degrees below the temp where the chips will start to become damaged.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    8. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,504
      My Scorpio is all fine.

You ALWAYS hear about faulty consoles when they are first released as the unlucky few with faulty ones are more active on forums etc to vent frustrations.

Love my Scorpio!

9. DARKDANCERUK

DARKDANCERUK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +297
      Most of the initial stock sold will be scorpios that's why there would be more reports of faulty ones compared to the standard.

10. pitters1981

pitters1981

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +247
      Another perfectly running, silent Scorpio edition here too!

11. Wise Bat

Wise Bat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +22
      My Scorpio had to be returned to amazon due to getting installation stopped error with every which way I tried to install disc games online or offline with hard reset or without, to console. Standard model I picked up in it place has been fine so far. I know of another member on the forum who also had to return their Scorpio due to errors and freezing up. The forums I have looked around with people reporting errors does appear to be more on Scorpio editions. First ones off the product line maybe not as well built..

Do however miss the look of the Scorpio but happy to have working console.

12. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,934
      Scorpio edition here is all fine. I only ever play for a maximum of 3 hours (if I am lucky) and it’s near silent.
      outstanding console and I could not be happier. I was considering cancelling right up to the week before release but so glad I didn’t. It’s exceeded all expectations and I’m not 4K yet - but will be soon

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,371
      That's how I feel about it. For me it is a technical marvel and is by far the best piece of console hardware ever made. MS need to up their game with their exclusive games as both Sony and Nintendo beat them in that area, but this power will certainly make the XB1X my go to cross platform console. I can't wait to play Forza Horizon 3 in January, when the 4K patch lands. That's one of my favourite games this generation and already looks stunning for an open world racer, so I'm really excited about how good that can look in 4K. Being a 1st party game, I can see then really going to town with the patch (like they have with FM7) with a 50gb patch delivering full 4K textures and assets.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    14. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +668
      Hmmm. I wouldn't say my Scorpio is near silent - you can hear the fan from across the room when there's little other sound.

15. wezzywebb

wezzywebb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,080
      I really cant believe how quiet my standard X is when playing games ,its a fantastic piece of kit

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    16. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,317
      That’s good to hear it’s not whirring madly away

17. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +574
      Scorpio owner here. It's deathly silent. Really amazed by it to be honest.

18. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +668
      Is mine faulty then?

19. iwb100

iwb100
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      Nope. Unless its really loud. There will be some variations based on chip efficiency, build quality and of course environmental conditions in your room.

Plus very, very subjective when discussing noise.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    20. gunner84

gunner84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +922
      Is it distracting?

Everyone's console has fan noise, when someone says there console is silent, well then they must have a fan that is not working because all consoles make noise.

Like iwb100 said there is so many factors to consider.

Mine makes fan noise but its a steady constant noise, its so low for that I can't hear it when playing games, I also sit relatively close to my X, so saying that I would consider it silent, if i mute my sound and tune my ear to the console I can hear a nice steady fan.

I remember my Xbox S had a whirring sound which was low but very distracting.

21. eyedee

eyedee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Seems I've been sent a faulty Scorpio Edition by Amazon.

When I first powered it up it took an age to get into the dashboard (5 minutes).

When I began the games transfer over wireless from my One S the game transfers failed one after another. Some copied half the file (15GB etc.) before failing. I kept manually restarting the transfer, but it just failed, over and over again. In the end I cancelled the multiple games transfer and did the ones I really cared about individually. This worked but the transfers took ages (Halo Collection took 2 hour, for example).

I installed Forza 7 and the Xbox One X performed a download simultaneously. By the way, I have 200mbps fibre with Xbox One X getting 166mbps download on test. Installation was incredibly slow. After 2 hours the update download was at 82% and it said I could start the game, so I did. The games screens were a bit jumpy and loading was S-L-O-W. I played for a few mins and completed the first 3 challenges that introduce you to the game. I then went to the Home screen to see if the download had finished. First I saw the download tile showed the same 82% downloaded, then it disappeared. I figured it must have finished and the report of 82% had been a glitch, but when I went to my Games and Apps page Forza 7 game tile had vanished too! Literally. I had to restart the Xbox One X and reinstall and download the game all over again. My Forza 7 auto save file had vanished too as I had to start from scratch.

Then I tried to play Rayman Legends (360 game) and it took 1-2 minutes to get passed the first 'holding' screen before the emulation began and the 360 swirly intro appeared on screen. Later attempts didn't have the same issue and the 'holding' screen (a picture of Rayman and Friends swimming) was only shown for a few seconds.

Other screens have sometimes hung as well, or taken ages to be replaced by the next screen. Other times they are fast.

The next day I turned the Xbox One X on and the dashboard screen appeared but with ZERO content. After 2-3 minutes the screen went black and then the dashboard reappeared with all my stuff on display.

Randomly the Scorpio Xbox One X will be slow to do something. Often it's slow to start up, sign me in and display the dashboard when its been turned off on the wall socket, but sometimes its slow after being started without having been turned off on the wall socket.

Some screens behave funny too. I sometimes see isolated flickering, noise artefacts and lighting oddities. I'm not sure if this is the Xbox One X or my tv though. When I first used the XBOx One X I had to spend an hour testing and setting up the TV's deep and complicated picture settings to get a non-juddering and blur free image. Local dimming on my LG 60" 4K HDR isn't the best and I think that causes some of the light oddities even after all the settings changes. So, I'm not blaming the Xbox One X for image issues necessarily.

So that's been some of my experience with the X so far. Amazon say they can refund but can't replace as the Scorpio is no longer available. I haven't contacted Microsoft yet. I may do that next. It's annoying as it sometimes works fine, but other times performs badly.

22. iwb100

iwb100
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      Have you tried a hard reset? Hold the power button down for 10 seconds till it switches off. Wait 1 minute. Then power back on.

Your issues MIGHT be a faulty unit but they could equally be some bugs.

23. eyedee

eyedee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks. I have now tried that and tested the X for an hour or so. It's working better, though it's still not perfect. I think it needs a day or two's testing to figure out if the forced reset has made a noticeable difference.

I'm surprised that the X is suffering slow 'power on' and live log in, slow loading times and other inconsistencies though, given the power it's got under the hood. Serious question: is it the XBox's O.S. poor code design or something, because my bog standard original PS4 (which is similar in coding complexity, as far as I can tell) or Switch, for that matter, never slows down on start up or when loading games etc. My XBox One S is pretty smooth. It's not as quick to load as the X when the X is working well, but it seems more consistent in its delivery. Starting up and loading games etc. always takes the same amount of time on the One S, whereas the X is different almost every time I turn it on!?

I'll keep testing the X and see what happens over the next 48 hours.

24. iwb100

iwb100
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      Are you using instant on?

It could also be network related.

25. eyedee

eyedee
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Yes, Instant on was activated right away. I've checked my home network and router and there's no issues displayed. I'm getting 166mbps download speeds on the X (when checked via settings) so I doubt there's an issue there.

The issues all seem to be hard drive related - data disappearing, loading times and install times being poor or inconsistent, the dashboard tiles not loading for a couple minutes etc. And its all intermittent. Everything tends to point to the internal HD being dodgy I reckon.

26. bilbosmeggins

bilbosmeggins
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,838
      Having heard all of the horror stories, I left my Scorpio boxed up for 3 days, and even contemplated returning it. Eventually plucked up the courage to unbox it and get it up and running. It has been flawless so far. Really feels like a substantial piece of hardware, and it runs near silent. Could not be happier with the purchase. Just need to sell the PS4 now, to offset the cost a little.

27. iwb100

iwb100
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,138
      Could be a bad HD :(

28. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,213
      Spoke with Microsoft on Friday and arranged an Advanced Exchange (mentioned in main thread - this thread title seems more appropriate now).

My plug just doesn't fit in the console, and resorted to using my S plug. Console has issues with frequent system error screens, stuck on this last I tried, and a hairdryer fan that consistently powers on and off every 5 mins during a game, in addition to randomly powering itself down and crashing games.

So, the exchange was arranged Friday, I check my emails today to see an item has shipped!! And... it's just the fudgeing plug. :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    29. CosmicKite

CosmicKite
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Same issues as WiseBat, with my Scorpio. Started off with Install issues then eventually got stuck in a Boot Loop, with every restart taking me to an Error/Troubleshooting screen. Various Resets and attempted FW update via USB didn't help.

Signed up to Advance Exchange on Saturday evening and have been promised a NEW unit, as being a recent console release, there are no REFURB units (we'll see)
      They haven't shipped my new unit yet.

30. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,213
      I'm a bit cheesed off with this myself. I got onto the MS chat on Friday hoping the Advanced Exchange would mean they'd rush a replacement out for the weekend.

That's not the case, they quoted 4-7 days, but even so they were informed Friday by me and had it all booked, so at the very least I expected the console to ship the following Monday, followed by a 1-3 day delay due to courier.