Xbox One X: Frequently Asked Questions - with Answers!!!

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the general Xbox One X thread seems to be getting swamped with the same questions asked over and over again - and is likely to increase as we get closer to launch - I thought I'd quickly put some of the most frequent questions together in a handy little FAQ thread that we AVFers seem to love!

Feel free to suggest edits, additions and removals as necessary.

When is the Xbox One X available and how much is it?
The official UK release date is 7th November 2017, and the RRP is £449.99

Will my existing Xbox One games still work?
Yes. All Xbox One games will work as normal whether they are on disc or bought digitally.

The Xbox One X is still essentially an Xbox One, and is part of the Xbox One ‘family’ (which includes the original Xbox One, the Xbox One S.)

I game share with a friend of mine. Will I lose access to these shared games when I get my Xbox One X?
No. There are no changes to the game sharing policy with the launch of the Xbox One X. When you first get your new Xbox One X, you'll need to set this as your friends 'home' console (using their account details), just as you did with your previous Xbox One. After that, you can sign-in with your own account and continue to enjoy the benefits of sharing digitally bought games.

What about my controllers, steering wheels and headsets? Will they work?
If they work with your Xbox One now, they’ll also work on the Xbox One X. This applies to any Xbox One compatible accessory.

What about Xbox 360 Backward Compatible games?
Yes, they’ll work just as they did before.

Do I have to buy an Xbox One X version of a game?
No. There won’t be versions of games for different consoles – just Xbox One games that play across all consoles. You buy once, and you can play that game on any Xbox One console – Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X.

What are Xbox One X Enhanced games?
Many Xbox One games are being updated to take advantage of the Xbox One X’s extra horsepower. These updates will be made available to download for free. If you own a game that is being enhanced you just need to download the update (when it’s available) - you do not need to buy the game again.

The list of enhanced games is here - recently updated (as of 24/10) with a view on when the enhancement patches will be available:

Xbox One X Enhanced Table | Xbox

What’s the situation with pre-orders?
A limited ‘Project Scorpio’ edition version of the console was available to pre-order from 20th August. The differences to the standard Xbox One X are cosmetic only, with additional ‘Project Scorpio’ branding on the console and controller, and black-to-grey colour gradient on the console itself. A vertical stand is also included which isn’t bundled with the standard version. The vast majority of these have now sold out, though you may get lucky if someone cancels their pre-order.

Pre-orders for the standard Xbox One X went live for all major retailers around 20th Sept. If you want to pre-order, check the usual places (Amazon, Game, Argos etc.)

Do I have to have a 4K TV to use the Xbox One X?
No, the Xbox One X does not need to be hooked up to a 4K TV. However, to get the most out of the console and to be able to enjoy 4K content, then that will require a 4K TV.

If you game on a 1080p TV, the Xbox One X will output at a native 1080p. Plus, with the Xbox One X taking advantage of super-sampling technology, games will be super-sampled down to 1080p – this will provide an improvement to image quality when compared to playing on an Xbox One or Xbox One S console.

What about the Kinect?
It will work with the Xbox One X, but as with the Xbox One S, there’s no longer a dedicated port on the console for it. You’ll need a separate adaptor which you can plug into one of the USB ports.

Does it play UHD Blu-Rays?
Yes, it has a UHD drive built-in, the same as the Xbox One S.

Does it make toast?
Contrary to some rumours, the Xbox One X does not make toast.

Last edited:
Good thread.

Does anybody know how long these Xbox One X enhanced patches are likely to take to download? I have no experience downloading whole games, I play on a PS4 and only buy physical discs - the thought of downloading entire games and waiting a day for the download to complete doesn't appeal.

I have pre-ordered the X, but I suspect that on top of the 40-60gb install of the physical game, we will need to download a large (20-40gb) X enhanced patch. This sounds like a bit of a pain to me. Is this right?

Unhelpfully, I don't know what my internet speed is or what my data limits are (if any) but I did download the FIFA 18 demo on PS4 recently and I think that took up to 2 hours to download.

It's not a deal breaker, but far from ideal - especially if I do have some sort of data cap.

Does anybody know how long these Xbox One X enhanced patches are likely to take to download? I have no experience downloading whole games, I play on a PS4 and only buy physical discs - the thought of downloading entire games and waiting a day for the download to complete doesn't appeal.

I have pre-ordered the X, but I suspect that on top of the 40-60gb install of the physical game, we will need to download a large (20-40gb) X enhanced patch. This sounds like a bit of a pain to me. Is this right?

Unhelpfully, I don't know what my internet speed is or what my data limits are (if any) but I did download the FIFA 18 demo on PS4 recently and I think that took up to 2 hours to download.

It's not a deal breaker, but far from ideal - especially if I do have some sort of data cap.

How long they take to download is purely a function of the file size and your internet speed. Since the file size is variable and your internet speed unknown, it is pretty impossible to answer you.

As you managed to download the FIFA 18 demo which I think is 7.3Gb in 2 hours I can guess your internet speed is around 8Mb/s.

Which isn't great. What you'll want to be doing is downloading the patches overnight. If you have an Xbox One then MS will let you pre-download them before the X releases. If not then you will have to schedule them for overnight. Remember that even on base consoles most games have fairly large patches and you'll need those aswell as the specific 4K patches. All in all, thats a lot of data.

I think on the X they are letting people choose the order in which the 4K patches download which is good. So the game you want to play most you can do first etc...

Thanks - I appreciate the response and I understand it's impossible to answer precisely. I'll need to find out my package details - as long as I have unlimited data, I can live with downloading over night (I'll be new to Xbox One when I get the X, so will have to download patches after purchase) but it would be a pain to have to increase my broadband package to include more data to download these patches. Anyway, that's my issue and something I'll look into.

Thanks again.

Thanks - I appreciate the response and I understand it's impossible to answer precisely. I'll need to find out my package details - as long as I have unlimited data, I can live with downloading over night (I'll be new to Xbox One when I get the X, so will have to download patches after purchase) but it would be a pain to have to increase my broadband package to include more data to download these patches. Anyway, that's my issue and something I'll look into.

Thanks again.

In this day and age getting a limited broadband package is a bad idea for anyone who likes movies, games, music or streaming TV.

When you get your X it will have an "instant on mode" this will leave the console in a standby "low powered" state when switched off but will allow it to continue downloading updates and patches.

Thanks again.

Why would it be a pain to get an unlimited plan? Exactly which plan are you currently on, and with whom? Can you get cable or fibre where you are?

I'm overstating the problem, it's not really a big deal, just slightly disorganised. My wife set up the account a couple of years ago and I don't have the details to hand, so no clue what the package is other than that we're with Sky. I'll ask her for the details if she can find them. We live in London so hopefully we can upgrade to fibre if we're currently on a limited plan as that looks quite a good deal faster. If it's unlimited use I'll leave it as it is and just download overnight.

I do stream Netflix but don't download much stuff, unless Sky Cinema on demand counts. I don't do multiplayer gaming and only buy physical games. Of course, I download PS4 updates to games when the system tells me.

Whilst I knew Forza 7 would be 100gb game, I didn't realise Halo 5 and GoW 4 would be close to, or over, 100gb in size. These games are massive! May need an external hard drive soon too.

None of this is much of an issue, just less straight forward than my current plug and play arrangements and something I hadn't given much thought to.

I'm overstating the problem, it's not really a big deal, just slightly disorganised. My wife set up the account a couple of years ago and I don't have the details to hand, so no clue what the package is other than that we're with Sky. I'll ask her for the details if she can find them. We live in London so hopefully we can upgrade to fibre if we're currently on a limited plan as that looks quite a good deal faster. If it's unlimited use I'll leave it as it is and just download overnight.

I do stream Netflix but don't download much stuff, unless Sky Cinema on demand counts. I don't do multiplayer gaming and only buy physical games. Of course, I download PS4 updates to games when the system tells me.

Whilst I knew Forza 7 would be 100gb game, I didn't realise Halo 5 and GoW 4 would be close to, or over, 100gb in size. These games are massive! May need an external hard drive soon too.

None of this is much of an issue, just less straight forward than my current plug and play arrangements and something I hadn't given much thought to.

You will need to get an unlimited broadband package. And yes sky cinema on demand counts to a download quota (if you have one).

Since you are with sky if you are on a limited package your limit is 25GB. One patch could eat the whole of that up without any trouble. So definitely try and change that....I suspect you are on unlimited....as current PS4 patches, streaing netflix and sky cinema would likely take you over the 25GB limit, I'd have thought.

The limited packages are only really any good for people who just want to browse the internet and watch the odd bit of youtube.

Thanks, I'll check, but I suspect you're right. From the Netflix info page it seems HD and UHD streaming uses up 3gb and 7gb of data per hour respectively - I definitely use considerably more than 25gb a month on Netflix alone.

It’s worth noting, even if you don’t have a 4K tv the updates will be required to play any enhanced games on the X, you won’t even be able to skip updates and play offline.

Sounds like when you start an X game and it knows there’s an update for said Game, it’ll want to update and if you don’t let it, you’re screwed. That’s the way I read it anyway.

How many X's could an Xbox flop if an Xbox One X could tear through flops?

You will need to get an unlimited broadband package. And yes sky cinema on demand counts to a download quota (if you have one).

Since you are with sky if you are on a limited package your limit is 25GB. One patch could eat the whole of that up without any trouble. So definitely try and change that....I suspect you are on unlimited....as current PS4 patches, streaing netflix and sky cinema would likely take you over the 25GB limit, I'd have thought.

The limited packages are only really any good for people who just want to browse the internet and watch the odd bit of youtube.

Just ring sky and threaten to quit, they will offer you a deal on unlimited bb

How many X's could an Xbox flop if an Xbox One X could tear through flops?

Going out later, will try that again pished!

has it been confirmed cod bf1 xtc will run in 4k ive not kept up with xbox lately.
owning a top end pc with xbox play anywhere can anyone convince me to buy one ( not being wide by the way lol)

has it been confirmed cod bf1 xtc will run in 4k ive not kept up with xbox lately.
owning a top end pc with xbox play anywhere can anyone convince me to buy one ( not being wide by the way lol)
Both COD WW2 and BF1 have had leaked images showing that they are 4K HDR on Xbox - so one can take that as being likely to both be receiving X enhancements. But neither are confirmed. COD is Sony marketed so that will likely just be a patch that turns up with no prior announcement.

BF1 is curious given MS had the marketing rights. My suspicion is the patch might not be ready for launch of the console given DICE will be flat out on Battlefront 2 (which does have a confirmed X patch).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom