Xbox One works on TVs without HDMI

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I plug the Xbox in to my old plasma's DVI socket (not HDCP compatible), switch everything on, and the it works... at 640x480!

After trying and failing with 720p and 1080p output settings:
'We recommend you get a new tv'

**** you pal!

Anyway, I goes into my plasma advanced settings ('cos I is advanced), and change the input mode from 2 to 1, try 720p, and bingo, we're on.

So 720p is working, but it's not ideal - my plasma is 1280 x 768, and it's pixel to pixel mapping, meaning I get small black bands top and bottom. I'm not sure I can do anything about it.

Still, for anyone with a non HDCP tv, it does work.

Does it let you play a Blu thru it ?

Thanks Trigaaar I think it was you that first alerted me that this was even an issue so I'm glad we're both okay (well, I will be once it's delivered!)

So 720p is working, but it's not ideal - my plasma is 1280 x 768, and it's pixel to pixel mapping, meaning I get small black bands top and bottom. I'm not sure I can do anything about it.
Ok, fixed. I don't use my plasma remote (don't even know where it is) as I use an all in one remote - but I eventually pressed the correct button to set the plasma to display 720p properly. I've also changed my Lumagen to 59.94Hz, 720p, so 'Xbox watch TV' works.

My Pioneer plasma wasn't on the Xbox list, but I typed it in and bingo, the Xbox can turn my plasma on and off (despite the plasma being behind Kinect). Surely it's not going to be able to control my 200 year old Meridian 561 though... oh, it can!

Thanks Trigaaar I think it was you that first alerted me that this was even an issue so I'm glad we're both okay (well, I will be once it's delivered!)
You're welcome.

Does it let you play a Blu thru it ?
Not tried, but almost certainly not. MS will be in trouble if it does.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom