Xbox one- UK Launch confirmed for November

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by thesaint02, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesaint02

thesaint02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Xbox One Launch Markets Confirmed

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Alternative thread title suggestion:

UK launch confirmed for November

Glass half full kind of person I guess.

3. thesaint02

thesaint02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I can't change the thread title.
    A mod is welcome to change it though.

4. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    Yeah saw this earlier on today, can't say I'm surprised really, but also want to know if my PS4 order is secure? Hopefully.

Don't know why they say they will launch across the planet etc the same day, they can only make so many consoles and get them into the stores by launch day? At least the UK SHOULD be alright.

5. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,997
    Yes you can. Go to edit>advanced and boom there you go.

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    To be clear: I couldn't give two hoots what the thread is called. I found it interesting how two people can read the same article and come away with polar opposite messages though.

7. krlock3

krlock3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    As someone who lives in Switzerland and will be affected, I have a third perspective.

Im just wondering... is there actually anything left now that MS can backtrack on? Or have they worked their way through everything already?

8. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,084
    I think we've had the job lot, so are you going to wait for the xbox one orget something else.

9. marko79

marko79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Has MS accomplished the worst console launch ever? I remember the PS3 having a shocker when it launched but MS have taken it too a whole new level!

I actually suspect we may see something similar from Sony as a simultaneous launch in so many countries is extremely hard to do!

10. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    As you say simultaneous launch in so many countries is extremely hard to do so I don't think there's anything to condem MS or Sony for.

As for worst console launch ever the PS3 is the winner. It was a year late. :eek:

11. marko79

marko79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yeah a year late and a awful launch price haha! probably the only console not to sell out on launch!

I remember M$ played a blinder back then! they achieved a simultaneous launch, sold out and priced the console at £279.99! a great achievement! Seems they looked at that launch and said lets not do anything we done last time and see how that goes!! haha

12. thesaint02

thesaint02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Title changed.

I suppose if you only care about a certain market it's a positive.
    I don't think Microsoft feel the same way as you.

Sony hasn't stated how many countries they are launching in.
    So there's no 180's to be done.

13. Zzebedee

Zzebedee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    As for the worst launch ever. It's not been launched yet so that doesn't even apply. Most people buying a console in the next 6 months will look at reviews once the press get hold of them or compare features the week before they buy, they won't even know about all the stuff that was said at least 4 months before then. Everything that's happened up to this point is entirely irrelevant to the general public.
    It's all down to the features which is more or less the same, the spec which is slightly in sonys favour but nobody knows how that will translate to real life performance, the reviews and most importantly the marketing and games available at launch

14. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Well, thanks, but I genuinely meant you didn't have to.

Of course, it's not good for some countries. I was just thinking I live in the UK and this is a UK based forum... But yeah, sorry for those missing out.

And this is Sony's tactic all along. Say nothing, no u-turns here. Personally, and I know people won't agree with me, I prefer MS's approach. Seriously.

15. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I agree with you. They really have been very vague and played their cards close to their chest!

16. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. That's what my momma told me. MS should have learned that :)

Honestly, I think Sony would have said a lot more but they are just riding the waves MS are creating and capitalizing on them.

Everytime MS released something positive, Sony is like "BAM, we can do it better!"

Friends list 1000 on XB1... 2000 on PS4!
    Record 5 minutes of gameplay on XB1... virtually unlimited on PS4!

A lot more will be said at Gamescom so we'll all be appeased.

17. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    15 mins is not virtually unlimited, regardless that comes from a quote from someone saying if they are streaming it to the hdd they could go to virtually unlimited, which is exactly the same situation for the xbox one so cannot really be compared to the released figure of 5 mins.

point taken on the counter news release tho, but I am not sure its the great positive news wave I would expect from the party who is apparently on top in every aspect.

18. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    It was from a developer too. So they let the developers do the work for them, lol.

But they did come out with the "15 mins" news release right after the 5 mins from MS... so still follows the same formula.

Shame though, because I'd prefer if they were a bit more transparent too. But I think they've given us the majority of information we need to know... the rest are just niceties to know.

MS have come out with pressers because they're feeling pressure from the press :laugh:

Otherwise they'd be just as content not saying anything until Gamescom and other gaming expos and then leaving some mystery in the air.

19. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Sony will understandably be ultra cautious after the horrendous way they managed the PS3 release (IMO it was the worst release in history, hands down - MS may have made a few blunders with the One, but it looks like their console will be released on time, which is what the vast majority will be focussed on). Don Mattrick's arrogance still pales in comparison to the Sony exec who told us we should be happy to wait another year for the PS3, and to pay £150 more than its competitor for the privilege.

The MS approach - initial PR-mixing-arse-and-elbow-hysterics aside - has been responsive to the feedback of customers, yet they continue to get flack for it. IMO they should have stuck to their guns, but it really is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't for them. Make changes in response to customer demand? MS does another 180, haha they have no idea what they're doing. Remain rigidly focussed on their original strategy? MS is arrogant and out of touch.

Unfortunately we're unlikely to see a future release where so much detail gets shared up-front, now that companies have seen the kind of backlash it can lead to.

20. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well said! :thumbsup:

21. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,997
    I think there is enough info to easily make an informed decision on either console you choose and thats all that matters really.

Because of the digital age we live in and the climate we are a bit more tech savvy and have learnt from past problems YLOD,RROD etc etc, so quite rightly we all want to know exactly where our £350/£430 is going and does it fit exactly what we want from it. No point comparing the way this launch has gone (internet nerd outrage/tin foil hat brigade, MS Lovers/Haters, Sony Lovers/Haters) to how the previous generation launch went because as a society we have changed a lot!!! Esp the likes of us posting on here who i imagine most of us really weren't clued up at all on the previous launch systems 7/8 years ago. Think I joined the forums after the PS3 launched!!!

Look forward to more info in the next days :)

22. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I find it weird that people criticising them for making changes to meet customer demands. It's not like they're our government, that we need to make tough decisions and be strong.

In a few months we will have two new consoles, competing on price and features - and I'll choose the one that best meets my needs and budget. I couldn't give a stuff how well the reveals went, or whether they've had to make changes or not.

23. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    A very good point Frank but there is another side to this coin. Imagine they'd kept quiet up til the last moment then released details about it when it was too late to change anything & then all the furore over DRM, 24 hour connection, kinect etc. They'd have been in an even bigger mess than they have been thus far. At least releasing info, albeit partially they've given themselves a chance to tweak some of the features to make it appeal to the wider audience. Its an impossible position really as like you said you're damned if you don't & damned if you do. The bottom line is you can't please everyone so have to either appeal to the wider audience or go for broke and maybe limit your audience in the quest for innovation.

24. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    lol... feels like I always respond to your posts.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for a well-thought out post that I disagree with.

Not all of it mind you, but the particular last part. I think Sony's PS3 release and now with the XB1 release (tbd), companies will learn from this. They will make damn sure their strategies are well thought out and what it takes to get the message across. They'll get rid of the ambiguity and share the most relevant parts of it and the capabilities of the console.

The issue wasn't what they were trying to do as much as how they put their message out there. MS was behind the console race, that's pretty well known. So while they had the vision, the didn't have the message.

Those two launches will be the defining factor in all future console releases. They'll over-prepare their message. Then they'll make every effort to prepare for an onslaught of questions if their message is misheard.

You could be right, but I just don't see them holding back. Instead I see them putting a clear-cut no bull**** message out there so everyone will be informed.

25. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Good points Det and Al, I would definitely prefer things to go the way you both describe...maybe me thinking the worst is just my cynical side coming out. :)

Indeed, and you're probably representative of 95% of the gaming public. It's just us geeks who get all involved in every single snippet of news that gets announced. :D

26. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I'm still a geek, and interested in the news (watched E3 etc). But I'll see what's on offer at the end, and not worry too much about the past journey.

27. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    Well, you gotta figure that stock investors watch these press releases and conventions just as much as the next guy and when they see MS backtracking, they see it as they didn't have confidence in the approach they were trying to take. So they lose faith in the company's ability to give solid performance on the market.

That's just one reason people see backtracking as a negative.

I, for one, didn't want Kinect to have the ability to be unplugged so personally see it as a negative.

28. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    But we don't really care about that. I don't suppose it's had much affect on MS.

Sure, but you'll see what's on offer when the consoles come out, and make your decision. Whether MS had once planned to have Kinect always on won't affect you. It won't matter to you whether there were u-turns, it's just the final decision you'll care about.

29. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Here's MS's stock price over the last six months...I'm not sure there's been that much of an impact really:

[​IMG]

30. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.