Xbox One U-Turn

Darkmatter21

On a serious note I just want a games machine. That's the way it has always been and it has worked well. I don't mind companies wanting to innovate but don't pass the massive price increase.

Better performance, better graphics, better servers, more clan features etc. All this other crap is just that... CRAP. Most other devices offer the same thing, Smart Tvs, Av amps.

I have multiple items doing the same things and I don't want to have to pay for it over and over again.

How much do you think it really cost to add them? I agree the cost of Kinect is not needed but the rest I can't imagine adds much in the way of cost.

CrossyX

Obviously more in the UK, there price increase from the USA is way more than the added VAT.

For a console its expensive, I cant remember the exact price but the 360 was under £300 on release. Yes they are cramming in more hardware but the same could be said for the 360 when that came out.

By the time u have the console and a couple of games its way over £500. It will be the first console I don't buy on release in a long time.

Darkmatter21

Obviously more in the UK, there price increase from the USA is way more than the added VAT.

For a console its expensive, I cant remember the exact price but the 360 was under £300 on release. Yes they are cramming in more hardware but the same could be said for the 360 when that came out.

By the time u have the console and a couple of games its way over £500. It will be the first console I don't buy on release in a long time.

The 360 was £280 on release, I am also disappointed at the price point, I am not convinced on the inclusion of Kinect which adds the £80 extra over the PS4.

I think last gen the console manufacturers lost a lot of money due to the units not being designed as well as they could be (RROD) and making a loss on the consoles from the start.

This time I think they are being far more conservative in terms of specs and tolerances in order to make sure the RROD fiasco does not happen again. Its a shame as it will also be the first console I don't feel I can shell out for on launch day.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
The 24hr phone home policy was a concern as I'm often off the grid and I have a spare xbox 360 that I carry about with me on business for idle playtimes.

So losing that is a good thing.

The PS4 doesn't seem that exciting once you avoid the comparisson with the XboxOne as the bad guy. I don't have a PS3 for the same reason and the few games that are PS3 exclusives aren't enough to tempt me over.

I'll buy it on release for one very good reason...

...it has Halo... eventually

Nakatsu_Hime

It seems to me that the PS4 is designed as a games console with some very neat extras included. The X1 seems to have been designed the other way round.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
It seems to me that the PS4 is designed as a games console with some very neat extras included. The X1 seems to have been designed the other way round.

I don't see anything particularly new with the PS4 , its just a faster version of the PS3.

sel

A good article and some interesting debate afterwards. A few thoughts and observations:

- Isn't a lot of what M$ were proposing already in existance today in PS3 and 360 - though it has happened more by stealth? E.g. Many games come with "online Pass" codes for multiplayer elements of the game, and these codes only work once - so you can't buy this second hand or trade with your friends. Also, there is lots of DLC (sometimes already included on the Disc!!) that again you can't share with friends or buy second hand.

- I actually quite liked the idea of not having to put the disc in the console to play a game anymore - just use it to install the game and then you don't need it. You then don't have to worry about the disc getting scratched, lost, eaten by the dog, etc. To me that was a step forward. Turn on your console and play any game you want, and on any console.

- I am still on the fence with Kinnect. One thing is for sure, the moment that you make an accessory optional, it is pretty doomed to failure - history has shown this. Developers simply won't waste the money on it. So why did Sony spend time and money, developing camera related tech into the new PS4 controller if they were then going to make the camera bit optional? I assume it has pushed the cost of the controller up as well? At least with every Xbox one owner having a Kinnect, then developers will be more likely to make use of it. Time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with all of what M$ were proposing by a long way. The 24 hour check in was just daft I felt. However, if you stand back and actually assess where we are today the proposed new world wasn't quite so different maybe?!?

Nostromo71

I don't see anything particularly new with the PS4 , its just a faster version of the PS3.

And that's a good thing. Concentrate on what your good at, instead of all the superfluous gimmicky nonsense.

Kailash

the only reason I'd want this console is for the controller design
i just couldn't get on with the PS4 one but i was ready for trying it because of MS and their preowned games policy

chancy007

im not going with Xbox one for the main reason of how they first tried to shaft us then when PS4 revealed that no online gaming was needed and 2nd hand games could be used they soon chose to do a U-turn too little too late in my eyes.

Had an xbox360 which had the red ring failure and that could easily happen with xbox one if it is built badly.

PS4 is not only better but also cheaper and more stylish had an original PS1 so i will going back to my roots this time.

Progaminggear

Standard Member
with the price debate people havnt worked out these are actually the same price u dont get the eye with the PS4 . if you bought it to match the XBOX ONE system its about the same price. when they do add ons I don't think game developers will take advantage of the eye on the PS4 but we as its part of the whole system on XBOX ONE it will get programmed for as its not a add on ( optional )

Progaminggear

Standard Member
None of the consoles mentioned 3D gaming performance which is what im looking forward to the most, This gen consoles just couldn't keep a decent frame rate in 3D.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom