Xbox One U-Turn

Nostromo71

From this I get the feeling your saying that by not allowing games to be shared among multiple users the console market would get turned into a "PC style gaming experience". I find that a strange stand point, I would be interested to see if other people feel the same as you.

For me the difference between console gaming and PC gaming is the simplicity and compatibility that consoles offer.

I mean it as a having online connectivity as a mandatory part of the gaming experience, like the way it is for PC gaming. I don't play pirated games, but I do buy some used games, and I rent games using Lovefilm. I also loan out and borrow games from one of my friends. Microsoft were trying to take that away from me, and I'm not ok with that. It's not like Microsoft were saying 'Ok, we're going to implement PC gaming style restrictions on the Xbox One, but we're going to bring game prices down in line with PC games.' They were still going to charge a higher price while taking away some of the freedoms you have with console gaming.

Bacus

Distinguished Member
The biggest disappointment for me is backwards compatibility with xbox360 games. I have 3 xbox360's in my household (4 if you count my spare) and lots n lots of games. This really [email protected]@es me off as most of us out there have spent hundreds of consoles and games. All microsoft have to do is allow the Xbox1 to play xbox360 games and i am sure they will be onto a bigger winner over Sony. And they will gain so much more respect from the likes of you and me :cool:

cherrcherryball

Pathetic turnaround from Microsoft...last week they were trying to shaft gamers...this week they want to be your friend. NO THANKS. The price difference is still a big issue and their lack of support for indie developers. And early reports indicate sRAM yield problems and I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware itself is defective and cheaply built.
Anyone supporting Microsoft after what they tried to pull recently needs their head examined. I'll be supporting Sony and Nintendo.
The only thing Microsoft has brought to gaming is crap hardware, contempt for their own customers and GREED.
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I guess you forgot about the awful failure rates of the ps2 especially, even the ps1 had it and the ps3 had a lot of problems too its just by the time people noticed them they just accepted the fact they needed to buy new consoles now and again, also forget that the PS2 was the weakest of its generation unless you count the Dreamcast, and the xbox had a hard drive and online built in.

The PS2 was the worst built one of recent generations, I remember taking a brand new one to my friends next door in a bag with clothes wrapped around it and that short walk the motor mechanism died, another was dead when it got to me, another the rumble did not work, another did read games but did not start them for about 10 minutes, at that point I gave up and just kept it as liked the PS2.

Har-One

I wonder how many families sit together, I can picture mummy, granny and the whole family playing the same games that younger members will play :rotfl:. MS simply got out a product that did not have any market and a considerably higher price than the competitors.

It is funny that some think people that this 24h online checking is not a deal breaker. The google chrome notebooks did not really fly out the shelves. People have some sort of an issues in having a piece of hardware that might be as useful as rock if there is no internet connection, indistinctly whether one may loose the internet connection for one reason or another. There is also the issue of trust whether they will be able to keep secure your data and documents, games.

I agreed with the previous poster that they respond mostly to the fact that PS4 would be console selling and not to the complains of its customers.

Dans1210

lets forget the mixed messages and the poor delivery of the xbox one for a moment...

The hdmi in is a fantastic feature! people dont want a box that just plays games anymore, i watch a lot of u.s tv shows and movies and my gaming has taken a back seat to this recently and do you know why? Its Convenience, it may sound silly but let me explain, having to physically switch on the xbox let it boot up switch inputs etc as daft as it may sound can sway someone whos had a hard day at work from watching or playing, now if my viewing experience whatever it may be is all channelled through my xbox i am much more likely to game!

The fact that i would not have to switch discs would be a major plus point and the fact i can jump into anything whenever i want from my tv is a great feature and i bet once you have used it you will wonder how you ever lived without it!

Now the kinect offers some great ways to interact with the system, the fact that all you have to do is sit down in front of the thing and it will switch on all my av kit and sign me in automatically is fantastic! the kinect offers so much more than what it can do for games, i dont get why people are complaining about this, this is forward thinking if you dont want the kinect games then dont buy them, im not really interested in it for games but its integration with the gui fascinates me.

Take all this stuff away and you may as well just stick with your xbox 360 because trust me if the xbox one came out and promised nothing but shinier graphics i would probably give it a miss.
As an older casual gamer whos had every thing from the sega master system, neo geo, gamecube, xbox 360 and everything in between i want my new console to be so much more than just a games machine.
Xbox one excites me i cant wait to get my hands on this thing, not just for the games but everything else that comes with it, microsoft is giving us a great product with a great service (xbox live) and promises something different than last gen, the ps4 isnt doing much different from last gen and thats whats gained it favour.

Xbox one's vision is to make gaming more accessible, convenient, people keep saying i dont want to watch tv on my xbox but they are totally missing the point, the hdmi in keeps you connected it keeps you immersed and closer to your games than ever and i applaud xbox for including it and i bet you engineers at sony wish they had thought of it too..

Last edited:

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
The hdmi in is a fantastic feature! people dont want a box that just plays games anymore,

I think you are wrong. People DO want a box that just plays games, they are called gamers. They are the people that have supported Xbox as a gaming brand for 10years+ . I work in a game store and that's the opinion of just about all the gamers I've spoken to in recent weeks.

What Xbox fans don't want is the features you mention, of which most wont work over here anyway. They don't want a Kinect 2.0 because Kinect 1.0 was plop from the beginning.

As for the 'makes gaming more accessible' lol..what is more accessible than having a game disc and putting it in a machine? It seems to have worked for every console to date and it is what gamers want.

The more of your post I read the more it looks like a PR memo from MS :laugh:

Dans1210

I think you are wrong. People DO want a box that just plays games, they are called gamers. They are the people that have supported Xbox as a gaming brand for 10years+ . I work in a game store and that's the opinion of just about all the gamers I've spoken to in recent weeks.

What Xbox fans don't want is the features you mention, of which most wont work over here anyway. They don't want a Kinect 2.0 because Kinect 1.0 was plop from the beginning.

As for the 'makes gaming more accessible' lol..what is more accessible than having a game disc and putting it in a machine? It seems to have worked for every console to date and it is what gamers want.

What wont work over here? plugging your set top box into the xbox? if you are referring to the sports features just wait until sky jumps on this with fantasy football and kinect while not for everyone sold very well.

let me just refer to a recent scenario i came across, i went over to see my uncle who has a son of 13 now he is what i believe you refer to as a "gamer", he is on his xbox constantly, chatting to his friends playing fifa, halo and minecraft from the time he gets in from school till he goes to bed his name is Jamie. Now when i went into the bedroom to say hi, he was playing the xbox with a headset on while balancing a latop on his lap skyping his mate while checking his phone every 5 minutes, this is the world we live in and products need to evolve.

You refer to "gamers" these boxes are adopted by everyone now not just people who solely play games.

Last edited:

Darkmatter21

I see both sides of the argument, I see the need for games console manufactures to deliver more in this competitive environment. Just putting out a faster console that they used to do will not work, this has been proven over the last few years. There has to be a selling point or people just won't upgrade from what they have already when the new one cost so much.

Am I convinced that adding a HDMI in/kinect 2.0 and the software development side of things Microsoft has done is the right thing to do? I am not sure, I will have to wait and see till its in my hands and I have time to use it.

I would also add that I know ALOT of people who have xboxs and use them for a wide variety of things from Netflix, streaming, xbox music, bbc iplayer etc etc.

Dans1210

now if i could get that sexy plex interface running on xbox one i would be very happy!

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
What wont work over here? plugging your set top box into the xbox? if you are referring to the sports features just wait until sky jumps on this with fantasy football and kinect while not for everyone sold very well.

let me just refer to a recent scenario i came across, i went over to see my uncle who has a son of 13 now he is what i believe you refer to as a "gamer", he is on his xbox constantly, chatting to his friends playing fifa, halo and minecraft from the time he gets in from school till he goes to bed his name is Jamie. Now when i went into the bedroom to say hi, he was playing the xbox with a headset on while balancing a latop on his lap skyping his mate while checking his phone every 5 minutes, this is the world we live in and products need to evolve.

You refer to "gamers" these boxes are adopted by everyone now not just people who solely play games.

Pretty sure the word is you cant plug a Tivo box into it..and I'm pretty sure there's a lot of Tivo boxes out there. There's no confirmation of what boxes you can or cant use it with.

You said people want more than a games console and I disagreed because I talk with gamers everyday and most of them want a games console.

As for your example..I have a 19yr old who does pretty much the same things. having an Xbox One wont change any of that. He will still be texting his girlfriend, playing an Xbox game and checking FB or his laptop. How will that change? What part of that does Xbox One take away or amalgamate?

Dans1210

its an hdmi in, you can plug anything into it even the xbox 360, it merely acts a switch but in time it will overlay a tv guide and that will be controllable via controller or kinect.

The multi tasking i refer to is this the xbox has snap mode which can run apps simultaneously while playing your game, so have skype in a small window or facebook whilst playing your game or movie, im not sure if ps4 has this feature also?
You make a valid point tho and im looking at the xbox one at 37yrs old with disposable income but for a 13yr old gamer who relies on his parents to buy it for him the ps4 is a much more attractive option to mum and dad.

I still think xbox has some ground to make up, they should at least include a headset in the price and at least introduce the family sharing plan for people that download the digital titles, also the digital titles should be priced accordingly to attract people away from the disc based alternative.

I think the next 5 months are going to be very interesting and we havent heard the last on what to expect from xbox one.

Last edited:

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
I would also add that I know ALOT of people who have xboxs and use them for a wide variety of things from Netflix, streaming, xbox music, bbc iplayer etc etc.

I use Netflix quite a lot, it's great but I also have it on the devices and Apple TV.
There seemed to be 2 main issues with Xbox One's PR disaster. Firstly they seemed to show a multimedia device not a games machine and secondly the whole used games issue.

It's all very well people saying that I could be wrong (not aimed at your directly), or the next chap is wrong..but we have to remember people voted with their pre-order wallets in their hundreds of thousands against the Xbox One...so it's widespread feeling and obviously the feeling of many gamers. Since the u-turn, people have been preordering. Surely that tells MS and others who the market really is and who the first customers will be.

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
its an hdmi in, you can plug anything into it even the xbox 360, it merely acts a switch but in time it will overlay a tv guide and that will be controllable via controller or kinect.

Pretty sure that's not true. I understand Tivo boxes are not HDMI-CEC so wont work as MS will have you believe

Dans1210

its not to say the tv thing wont work at launch, it will but like i said just an instant way of switching from your sky box to your xbox game/media.
The things that wont be at launch are the tv guide and some features they have in the u.s.a, although these will come im sure, if the xbox one is popular sky sports will be all over it.

Dans1210

hang on ive just had a thought you could even plug ps4 into xbox ones hdmi in and have cross platform goodness, the best of both worlds by the voice gesture "xbox ps4" ha ha, now if both consoles would work off the same controller...all hail unicron the ultimate mega console! man im losing it should get back to work lol.

Dans1210

Pretty sure that's not true. I understand Tivo boxes are not HDMI-CEC so wont work as MS will have you believe

im not familiar with the tivo box but at this point im not talking about controlling your tivo box with the xbox one just it acting as a switch like it would do on an av amplifier

Dans1210

Last edited:

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
its not to say the tv thing wont work at launch, it will but like i said just an instant way of switching from your sky box to your xbox game/media.
The things that wont be at launch are the tv guide and some features they have in the u.s.a, although these will come im sure, if the xbox one is popular sky sports will be all over it.

lol..okay mate :laugh:

kav

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the considered and well thought out write up Mark - how about a few more people hit the thanks button for articles like this? It's clicked often enough when giving virtual high fives, seems a shame nobody does the same for a piece that a lot of research and effort clearly went into.

I agree with another poster who said MS are ahead of their time on this one. We see the move to digital in films, music and books, and on games on every platform except console. It's not a that big a stretch for a console to push digital gaming. In the near future physical discs are going to be as redundant as floppy discs are now.

Of course, the key point is not that this particular strategy is flawed, but the fact that MS's execution of it was so appalling. If Ballmer's rumoured shake-up of MS doesn't see Don Mattrick getting sacked, I'll eat my hat (if I had one). :)

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
whats so funny?

this

what you are saying is it wont actually work at launch. What you are saying is that it will act as a switch. That is not working by any means.
It means that you will have your Xbox One and your STB turned on just so you can tell Xbox to turn to TV just so you can then pick up the STB remote to actually control TV. That I find funny :)

Dans1210

this

what you are saying is it wont actually work at launch. What you are saying is that it will act as a switch. That is not working by any means.
It means that you will have your Xbox One and your STB turned on just so you can tell Xbox to turn to TV just so you can then pick up the STB remote to actually control TV. That I find funny :)

Yes thats exactly it, you dont see the benefit in that? but like i said 'all' the benefits wont be available at launch (according to microsoft)

Last edited:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I don't buy it.

Sure Microsoft have done a U-turn on their 24 hour online check in, no-reselling your games... but I can still see publishers being free to implement these sorts of restrictions.

If publishers thought it was such a great idea, why not come out and say, we support MS, this is the way forward, we will only develop games for the One?

CrossyX

970906_10152846944275654_1283967532_n.jpg

On a serious note I just want a games machine. That's the way it has always been and it has worked well. I don't mind companies wanting to innovate but don't pass the massive price increase.

Better performance, better graphics, better servers, more clan features etc. All this other crap is just that... CRAP. Most other devices offer the same thing, Smart Tvs, Av amps.

I have multiple items doing the same things and I don't want to have to pay for it over and over again.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options