Xbox ONE The Reveal Aftermath - Part 3

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I hear/read the words used, online or DRM in close proximity again I think my brain might explode!

66awbkn.gif

Follows on from here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox...eveal-aftermath-part-2-a-17.html#post19182087

last few posts

whats that, use a 50 meter extension cable and run it into a cave and then play there sealed off from dangerous mobile phone radiation and evil wifi routers... ?

what he is describing there is Linux Media Center but for games, where the TV is just a viewing device and the content you want follows you, you start watching tv in the lounge, walk to the kitchen to get a cuppa and the tv you are watching follows you to the next set, likewise you play a game and should you go to another device where you where is there ready to resume.

You do not need multiple devices , you do not need to plug in sky via hdmi, but if you had them this is how they should work in an ideal world, well ideally sky box's would just do this with tv regardless but hey ho. It is not like the hdmi switch and IR blaster change the device all that much and even less from a games point of view.

Yeah I do and im not here for fanboy rants etc but for me personally and this is only my opinion yes it will play games but in my mind this isnt Microsofts priority (and as a console manufacturer it should be)they are more concerned with this being the entertainment centre of your living room!

I am also quite concerned about the shady answers being given by Major Nelson and Co regarding the end of the generation? yes I know the current gen hasnt started but id still like assurances that I will be able to play my games in 10/20 years time when they move onto Xbox Two or whatever other stupid name they come up with?

Im a games collector ive a dreamcast, snes, n64, and I can play all the games I have on these machines anytime I want, I'm not soo confident I will be able to say the same with the xbox one in 10/15 years?

Don't Apple do that with iOS devices?

Also the Amazon Kindle-I can start reading a book on my Kindle and then pick up from the point I left off at using the Kindle app on my iPad (or iPhone for that matter).

BUT... Only if I have an Internet connection to save the point to/from.

Which means that this is all Amazon & Apple's fault, as they started this whole "Your data on any device" malarkey! :D

Last edited:
Yeah I do and im not here for fanboy rants etc but for me personally and this is only my opinion yes it will play games but in my mind this isnt Microsofts priority (and as a console manufacturer it should be)they are more concerned with this being the entertainment centre of your living room!

I am also quite concerned about the shady answers being given by Major Nelson and Co regarding the end of the generation? yes I know the current gen hasnt started but id still like assurances that I will be able to play my games in 10/20 years time when they move onto Xbox Two or whatever other stupid name they come up with?

Im a games collector ive a dreamcast, snes, n64, and I can play all the games I have on these machines anytime I want, I'm not soo confident I will be able to say the same with the xbox one in 10/15 years?

I do hear you, but [Bob Dylan] "The times, they are a changin'"[Bob Dylan]! :D

People that bought 33/45/78 RPM records (remember them?) have to live with the fact that devices to play their media are dwindling in numbers and video games are going the same way.

For me, it's about enjoying the experience NOW and not worrying about what I may/may not be able to do in 10/15 years.

It's like I've now discovered my XBLA games won't transfer to XB1-do I A) Go all anti MS and buy Sony/Nintendo, or B) Accept that it really isn't the end of the world and move on?

Answer B for me, but I do take on board your point. :)

I think as long as there is Live there will be "authentication" servers so the games will load and I am sure they will come up with something but a retirement plan is a way off yet, on the server front that is less likely to last indefinitely, but Microsoft have a good record of supporting what is being played, Halo2 servers for the original Xbox version stayed online until two months ago, that is pretty impressive support really but not ever lasting. I do believe they would do something positive if pushed at the end of the console life, but I would expect them to just keep the servers running as no doubt the next system will use a similar setup etc..

Most things are now having multiplayer components so this will be affecting more and more titles as time goes forward for both consoles and the big games of E3 all look to be multiplayer centric unfortunately.

I know thats not positive news for a collector , but at least with Microsoft running the servers you have more hope of them staying up than EA or other publishers running them who are just out for profit.

We're part of the last generation who place a high value on physical media. Already in our lifetimes films, music, books and (on PC) games are making the transition to becoming primarily data held on a drive somewhere as opposed to objects on shelves. Some people are less accepting of this than others, but there's no doubt it's the way things are heading.

I can see why MS's strategy ruffles so many feathers, but I'm willing to bet that within five to ten years, Sony and the other big houses will follow suit and end up playing catch up to them. As it is right now, MS's approach is not wrong, it's just so novel that people have difficulty accepting the concept - which goes back to how forward-looking you are about these things.

I think the digital delivery thing can already work well:

I only have 6mbs broadband but I'm quite happy buying my games primarily off steam. It takes ages but it's hardly the end of the world.

The current Xbox already allows you to download from a web browser so you can log in at work, buy a game and have it ready later. So that must be a lock feature wise for future consoles.

My issue is the price. Steam is typically cheaper than the high street and often cheaper than Amazon. XBL and PSN (as well as gamersgate, Origin and the like) are typically much dearer. I'm sort of happy for them to push us to us online so they can save manufacturing and delivery costs and to put the money into higher profits (and hopefully better games) but to charge more seems like bare faced cheek!

I only have 6mbs broadband but I'm quite happy buying my games primarily off steam. It takes ages but it's hardly the end of the world.

As you download in advance of the game's release presumably?

The current Xbox already allows you to download from a web browser so you can log in at work, buy a game and have it ready later.

I don't think it does does it?

I think you can log in and add a download to your queue, but you still have to go home to turn the console on, to get that download.

My issue is the price. Steam is typically cheaper than the high street and often cheaper than Amazon. XBL and PSN (as well as gamersgate, Origin and the like) are typically much dearer. I'm sort of happy for them to push us to us online so they can save manufacturing and delivery costs and to put the money into higher profits (and hopefully better games) but to charge more seems like bare faced cheek!

Seen my previous post re "Value"?

For those wanting an XB1 then today a lot of UK ISP's DO give you unlimited so long as you are on their own equipment in the exchange or even in some cases fibre too.

Sky, BT, Plusnet to name three. So whilst the speeds may not be great, although 4mbps and up, even 3mbps 2mbps is fine to use. You just have to wait for the downloads but seeing as both consoles do background downloading then it's not a problem, just have to leave them to download your games.

It might be an issue though if you go round your mates house to use the system where you login to play a game of yours and find out they have 3mbps BB speeds! :eek: May take a while for a 20gb game.

so will offline DRM be used if there's no online DRM to stop used-online or used-offline games?

i am just not sure about this used online DRM basically!

I download full games on Steam on my 1.5Mbps connection. It's not great, but I can download most games over two or three nights (downloading in the day is a bit anti-social as the internet becomes fairly unusable for browsing etc.). I prefer retail boxes due to download time, but when the games are cheap I can make an exception.

If I could download games in a single night, I think I'd ditch disks altogether. Over one night is entirely acceptable.

The current Xbox already allows you to download from a web browser so you can log in at work, buy a game and have it ready later.

I don't think it does does it?

I think you can log in and add a download to your queue, but you still have to go home to turn the console on, to get that download.

Seen my previous post re "Value"?

I'm pretty sure the download will start straight away (unless you've turned the One 'fully off' using the power button on the console)

EDIT - Ah sorry - I see you were talking about the 360.

I download full games on Steam on my 1.5Mbps connection. It's not great, but I can download most games over two or three nights (downloading in the day is a bit anti-social as the internet becomes fairly unusable for browsing etc.). I prefer retail boxes due to download time, but when the games are cheap I can make an exception.

If I could download games in a single night, I think I'd ditch disks altogether. Over one night is entirely acceptable.

And that's my point, if MS were to introduce this for XB1 they would (IMO) be on to a winner.

Download in advance-just resuming where you left off if you paused to free up bandwidth for others in the house, if needs be?

Yes please. :)

I'm pretty sure the download will start straight away (unless you've turned the One 'fully off' using the power button on the console)

EDIT - Ah sorry - I see you were talking about the 360.

Ah, yes I was!

I'd love for the XB1 to allow remote downloads of games, demos etc (not just queuing, which I think is what the 360 does?)

I do hear you, but [Bob Dylan] "The times, they are a changin'"[Bob Dylan]! :D

People that bought 33/45/78 RPM records (remember them?) have to live with the fact that devices to play their media are dwindling in numbers and video games are going the same way.

For me, it's about enjoying the experience NOW and not worrying about what I may/may not be able to do in 10/15 years.

It's like I've now discovered my XBLA games won't transfer to XB1-do I A) Go all anti MS and buy Sony/Nintendo, or B) Accept that it really isn't the end of the world and move on?

Answer B for me, but I do take on board your point. :)

All valid points and its down to people to make their own personal choice at the end of the day, like I said ive my own personal reasons for staying clear of the xbox one.

Though for a company that keeps battering on about 'The Future' im surprised they cant give a yes or no answer to what will happen at the end of the generation if only to settle people like me's fears?

All valid points and its down to people to make their own personal choice at the end of the day, like I said ive my own personal reasons for staying clear of the xbox one.

Though for a company that keeps battering on about 'The Future' im surprised they cant give a yes or no answer to what will happen at the end of the generation if only to settle people like me's fears?

In theory if all your games / digital keys etc are in the cloud doesn't it make it more future proof, when you buy the Xbox 2/3 etc the worst that can happen is you need to download your games again?

It's all about the experience of media as opposed to the need to own it now. People want access to films, music, games, books, TV etc. wherever they are now.

It's all been fueled by the advancement in technology which has put devices in the palm of our hands which would have been pure science fiction back when I started gaming.

Personally I think that once people get used to digital distribution they will quickly forget that they ever used to buy games on discs in boxes. I must admit that as a long time steam user it just send strange to buy games on disc now.

Q) What cross platform compatibility is there going to be? I mean can people on 360 play CoD Ghosts with people on XB1?

It's all about the experience of media as opposed to the need to own it now. People want access to films, music, games, books, TV etc. wherever they are now.

It's all been fueled by the advancement in technology which has put devices in the palm of our hands which would have been pure science fiction back when I started gaming.

Personally I think that once people get used to digital distribution they will quickly forget that they ever used to buy games on discs in boxes. I must admit that as a long time steam user it just send strange to buy games on disc now.

Agreed.

My 15 year old son can't get his head around the fact that you used to have to wait until 8am Monday morning on a particular radio station, just to get listen to the first play of <whoever's> new single!

The fact that an artist's new single/album was released on Monday and you had to go in to a shop in your lunch hour to buy it (let alone the fact that you almost certainly wouldn't have heard 9 out of the 10 tracks on the album) really blows his mind! : grin:

now we know that up to 10 people can play your games on your console and 1 player is able to play the same game as you are playing on, does that mean both will be able to play COD mulitplayer together as such?

if i own cod ghosts, am playing online, then my brother comes on and accesses my copy of COD Ghosts, can we both play together online/invite each other in?

Q) What cross platform compatibility is there going to be? I mean can people on 360 play CoD Ghosts with people on XB1?

I'm also interested in this. A lot of my friends will not be buying the One on launch so will be getting Ghosts on the 360.

This means I will probably have to buy 2 copies if I want to play online with them whilst enjoying the next gen version on my spanking new console with others!

At the very least, I hope they use the same online profile so xp and achievements earned in both versions are consolidated. However I fear the One and 360 versions will be treated as separate entities, much like PC games are at the moment on Live.

If I hear/read the words used, online or DRM in close proximity again I think my brain might explode!

Must......resist........urge.

:devil:

Edit
Closed off last thread tad early.

Last edited:

Depends if Xbox 360 is given access to the cloud dedicated servers (That's assuming cloud will accommodate 3rd party titles for their servers).

Hopefully the answer will be yes, but im not holding out much hope. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't allow it making you buy the next Xbox to join your friends.

Last edited:

I very much doubt it as they will be coded differently due to the different architecture of both systems.

It was a no. I can't remember where I saw that question answered, but I know I saw/read it in one of the interviews. 100% definitely no.

It was a no. I can't remember where I saw that question answered, but I know I saw/read it in one of the interviews. 100% definitely no.

Thought as much, so typical.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom