• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox one streaming on Windows 10 advice

elmo01

Prominent Member
So was looking for some advice for streaming. I tried it on my laptop for black ops 3 and worked fine but the detail wasn't sharp enough for me. It wasn't lagging or anything so that's good but the quality sucked imho. I was wondering how it compares to streaming on the linx tablet? I see the 10 inch one for under £80 so looking into that.

what do you guys think?

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
The device shouldn't make too much difference, it is the speed of your router/WiFi connection, not internet connection btw, that dictates the quality of the stream.

elmo01

Prominent Member
When I open the app it shows in full screen and good quality then after less than a minute it goes to this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451449302.908103.jpg

So it now has borders, anyone else had this issue?

joshtbh

Established Member
what is the quality setting on the top right of the app (little circle icon)?

I use streaming all the time and not seen it change like yours, but can (and do) manually adjust the quality depending on how far from the router I am

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I've used streaming and had various results, been wirelessly streaming though to the laptop which will cause my biggest issues I think. Never really been unplayable through lag, but the quality has been blocky when the router hasn't been coping. Usually a router reset and laptop restart brings things back up to the standard I'm looking for though. Never seen the above with the black bars though regardless of whatever quality is being streamed to my laptop.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I have used it a few times on my Laptop and it's been pretty seamless.

I have been looking at the Linx 1010 Tablets but no idea if they are any good to be honest.

elmo01

Prominent Member
Thanks for the info guys, yea I have it at very high or the highest setting. Will try rebooting the router and laptop though, never thought of that.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
My router has a tendency to get a bit 'sticky' sometimes, it's a right arsey wee thing so I'm not saying that's the cure-all! :)

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Oi oi @Waynej will have a few words as he bought one for the same purpose.
I got the Linx 1010B and have been happy with the streaming. It occasionally misses a few frames if I have the quality on Very High, seems to be running fine on High.

I have not had the issue with borders as pictured above. The only odd things I have noticed are with the W10 Xbox app's DVR capabilities - the game stream is recorded at the tablet's displayed resolution. So 1280x800 then, and this recording then displays black borders as can be seen in my video here - video was recorded at Medium btw (Not an issue if I force the tablet to 1280x720 - recording is fine then but have play with slight borders).

What I have been trying to figure out is how to record the streams at 60fps, I am sure that was mentioned previously.

I had a Micro HDMI cable delivered today and was eager to set the Linx 1010B to output to my TV at 1080p. I tried Halo TMCC collection today playing in 1080p streamed to the Tablet which was output to the TV - and it was great. Smooth as butter.

However, I did have issues with trying to record at 1080p, perhaps the Linx 1010 just doesn't have the grunt to record at 1080p... when recording the gameplay would become laggy, major delay and eventually the stream just ends.

It's perfectly fine for playing in 1080p on a TV in another room, just not recording. So mostly does what I want. Would have been chuffed to bits if recording at 1080p would work. Bro recently updated his old W7 laptop to W10 so may test streaming on that wired and wireless, and see how it compares.

Last edited:

Waynej

Distinguished Member
When I open the app it shows in full screen and good quality then after less than a minute it goes to this

So it now has borders, anyone else had this issue?
Not sure why that's happening. Only things I can think to suggest are instead of streaming choose 'test streaming' and see if that passes ok. I am not sure how accurate this test is, as mine reports Very High to be good but I still get a few stutters.

I had no issue with the Xbox app, but later removed it and downloaded the beta version from the store instead. Which works fine too, so that's worth a try.

elmo01

Prominent Member
Thanks for the info, tried today and it didn't have the borders so could have been the laptop had been running too many apps or something lol.

Thinking of just getting a new laptop (need one anyway) and use it to stream as well

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I got the Linx 1010B and have been happy with the streaming. It occasionally misses a few frames if I have the quality on Very High, seems to be running fine on High.

I have not had the issue with borders as pictured above. The only odd things I have noticed are with the W10 Xbox app's DVR capabilities - the game stream is recorded at the tablet's displayed resolution. So 1280x800 then, and this recording then displays black borders as can be seen in my video here - video was recorded at Medium btw (Not an issue if I force the tablet to 1280x720 - recording is fine then but have play with slight borders).

What I have been trying to figure out is how to record the streams at 60fps, I am sure that was mentioned previously.

I had a Micro HDMI cable delivered today and was eager to set the Linx 1010B to output to my TV at 1080p. I tried Halo TMCC collection today playing in 1080p streamed to the Tablet which was output to the TV - and it was great. Smooth as butter.

However, I did have issues with trying to record at 1080p, perhaps the Linx 1010 just doesn't have the grunt to record at 1080p... when recording the gameplay would become laggy, major delay and eventually the stream just ends.

It's perfectly fine for playing in 1080p on a TV in another room, just not recording. So mostly does what I want. Would have been chuffed to bits if recording at 1080p would work. Bro recently updated his old W7 laptop to W10 so may test streaming on that wired and wireless, and see how it compares.

How do you connect up the controller or is it via wireless and connected to the Xbox One.

I got some Amazon vouchers and wanted a new tablet to replace my Nexus 7 so was thinking of getting the Linx1010 to replace it and use for streaming Xbox One games.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
How do you connect up the controller or is it via wireless and connected to the Xbox One.

I got some Amazon vouchers and wanted a new tablet to replace my Nexus 7 so was thinking of getting the Linx1010 to replace it and use for streaming Xbox One games.
I connect the controller by USB to the tablet, there's a wireless Xbox One dongle due out too. I have the older model which you have just made me think of trying. I know 360 pads work as saw someone connect a Wired 360 pad to their Linx 1010 on Youtube and use it for Xbox One game streaming. Hopefully that means the 360 wireless receiver might work too.

Although yes, leaving the Xbox One pad wirelessly connected to the Xbox One works as well, provided you're in range of course.

Last edited:

elmo01

Prominent Member
A bump for those who can help, just checked the hardware requirements for streaming on the Microsoft website -

Processor - min of 1.5GHz
Ram - min 4gb
Video card - support H.264 decoding

So looking at my devices I have a laptop -

I5 processor
2.50GHz and 4 gb ram running very high setting smoothly with no lag (but not keeping this laptop so that's why I need advice lol).

Laptop 2 - celeron dual core 1.80GHz
4 gb ram doesn't run smooth at all even on lowest setting (very laggy).

Looking at the linx 10 tablet that streams well (as mentioned above and from some videos on YouTube) the specs are - 1.33GHz and 2gb ram.

My question is how can the tablet with lower specs run smooth but my laptop that meets requirements be so laggy? Anyone any ideas? Thanks

movaado

Established Member
Could the graphics controller. I'm guessing laptop 2 is quite old and has a basic embedded Intel controller whereas the i5 one has one with the relatively decent Intel HD3000/4000/5000 graphics chip.

Could also be wifi - what does the streaming test thing say?

elmo01

Prominent Member
Didn't try the stream test on laptop 2. Decided to give it a fresh install (needed it anyway). Will check later today when I get a chance.

Reckon it could be old it's an Inspiron 1545

Edit - fresh install didn't help so must be the graphics card.

Last edited:

dacdesigns

Distinguished Member
I have been using game stream via a mini i3 PC connected via AV12000 power lines and the main problem I have is with the older games, newer games like Star Wars must be coded better for it because that runs perfect for me but games like Titanfall run smooth but have a muddy picture. Aliens seemed to have a large input lag which I thought was my network but when switching straight to Star Wars it's gone.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
Anyone with the linx 10 is it flawless streaming? Ie can you play black ops multiplayer without issue

You get some lag so personally I wouldn't use it for online shooters. You're getting minimum 60ms + whatever lag there is from the monitor even in the best conditions. It's use-able, but you will suffer online because of it. I don't own it though. Several have given their opinion above.

elmo01

Prominent Member
Thanks, I'll find a different solution then, maybe make a kind of Xbox laptop with a laptop screen, seen it done many times before, won't be as fancy as some peoples but will do what I need, lag free gaming lmao

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I've kicked arse on titanfall while streaming wirelessly to laptop, wired GoW was a bit ropey at points coop, far too many variables to say how things will be for you though , expect it to be not perfect and set the bar lower than you'd normally expect it to be.

Where did the 60ms lag come from? Has it been tested by people? (is there a link to the testing stuff?)

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
I've kicked arse on titanfall while streaming wirelessly to laptop, wired GoW was a bit ropey at points coop, far too many variables to say how things will be for you though , expect it to be not perfect and set the bar lower than you'd normally expect it to be.

Where did the 60ms lag come from? Has it been tested by people? (is there a link to the testing stuff?)

I believe a few sites ran tests. I'll have a look for it later.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom