Xbox One S with Pioneer receiver issue..

Gaudiops

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I bought a new Xbox One S for 4K blu-ray and Netflix 4K. I've got a Sony UHD tv (with HDMI 2.0), a Pioneer VSX-924 receiver (also HDMI 2.0 support) and HDMI 2.0 cables between.

The weird thing now, is that my Xbox One S Netflix app doesn't 'see' that everything is 4K compatible and doesn't show the 4K content...

When I plug in the Xbox directly to my TV it DOES recognize it all and shows the 4K content..

Anyone has an idea how to fix this type of 'receiver-issue' ? I've set the receiver to 4K resolution already, but that doesn't help.

Maybe anyone knows?

The AV and the TV need to support HDCP2.2 over HDMI2.0
Some AV kit will only have some HDMI inputs with HDCP2.2
For example my SONY STR DN860 has 5 HDMI inputs, only 1 port is capable of HDCP2.2 which I connect my ROKU4 to, that works fine.

Have a look at the Xbox One S's advanced 4K settings as it will show you what the tv is capable of receiving

I'm routing it through my Yamaha RX-679 & there seem to be issues with 10 bit color and most have a red cross at them (connecting to Sony tv)
4k tv.jpg
Plugging the Xbox directly into the tv changes this to all the tests being ticked

Not sure what this means as it does say that there may be issues when connecting through av equipment

I'd just plug the Xbox S directly to the TV and either ARC or optical for the sound, you'll not loose anything as the Xbox is incapable of HD sound anyway

Dont know if this will help but I read a review of the Xbox one S last night and they had trouble setting it up through an amp, they had to plug it in directly to the tv first, then download several updates which enabled the unit or something to that effect then after that it all worked fine, I suspect you have already done the updates but just in case really. Not being familiar with your amp either but you may need to switch off the up scaling if thats what it's doing and just let it pass through?

Thanks for the suggestions - pass through already enabled
Reckon I will end up plugging it in directly to the TV at some point - unfortunately the hdmi cables sunken into the wall are not 2.0 !!

The AV and the TV need to support HDCP2.2 over HDMI2.0
Some AV kit will only have some HDMI inputs with HDCP2.2
For example my SONY STR DN860 has 5 HDMI inputs, only 1 port is capable of HDCP2.2 which I connect my ROKU4 to, that works fine.

This is it! Thank you. I tried it on my dad's Pioneer SC-LX79 and it works perfectly... The receiver has to support HDCP 2.2, otherwise it won't work..... Guess I have to buy a VSX 930 or 1131 .....

This is it! Thank you. I tried it on my dad's Pioneer SC-LX79 and it works perfectly... The receiver has to support HDCP 2.2, otherwise it won't work..... Guess I have to buy a VSX 930 or 1131 .....
or just connect the Xbox S directly to the TV? use optical or ARC for the sound.

I'd just plug the Xbox S directly to the TV and either ARC or optical for the sound, you'll not loose anything as the Xbox is incapable of HD sound anyway
That's not true the xbox one does support HD audio..it's 7.1 pcm uncompressed audio!

The XBox One can decode both DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD onboard and output this as multichannel uncompressed PCM via HDMI. Neither ARC or S/PDIF support the conveyance of multichannel PCM and are both limited to only 2 channels of PCM data. You'd not be able to pass multichannel PCM through a TV and out via either ARC or the TV's S/PDIF optical audio output. THe only way to convey it would be via a directed HDMI connection from the XBox to the AV receiver.

True HD/ Master Audio - can XBox One handle?

The reason you cannot get either Atmos or DTS:X from an XBox is because you need to bitstream either the associated 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD base layer in order for the metadata associated with either Atmos or DTS:X to also be conveyed to an AV receiver. The fact that the XBox cannot bitstream the HD formats prevents it also sending the metadata.

Last edited:
The XBox One can decode both DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD onboard and output this as multichannel uncompressed PCM via HDMI.
Some people say letting the Xbox One decode the HD sound does degrade the quality as the Xbox does this as it need's to have the ability to mix in the system sound's and alerts rather than bitstreaming it uncompressed.

The PS4 can bitsream uncompressed and the same standard Blu Ray playing on my PS4 has noticeably richer sound than the same Blu Ray played on my Xbox one, although this could be the placebo effect .

Letting the source do the decoding is no worse than letting the receiver do it. They both use the same codecs licensed to them by DTS and Dolby. The resulting PCM is simply what is compressed within the DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD package. Both Dolby TRueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are lossless compressed formats. PCM is lossless uncompressed data.

Blu-ray Disc Audio - Bitstream vs PCM Output - Which Is Best?

Your receiver would be decoding the bitstreamed audio and sending PCM to its DACs. The only difference is which device is doing the decoding, the source or the receiver.

Letting the source do the decoding is no worse than letting the receiver do it.
I like my receiver to say HD MASTER AUDIO rather that PCM ;)

Still a massive oversight by Microsoft though regarding DTS:X and Atmos tracks on UHD Blurays, especially as a PS4 (or any other £50 player) can bitstream uncompressed audio.

Have a look at the Xbox One S's advanced 4K settings as it will show you what the tv is capable of receiving

I'm routing it through my Yamaha RX-679 & there seem to be issues with 10 bit color and most have a red cross at them (connecting to Sony tv)
View attachment 743900
Plugging the Xbox directly into the tv changes this to all the tests being ticked

Not sure what this means as it does say that there may be issues when connecting through av equipment

On the RX-V679, you need to go into the Advanced Menu and change the 4K Mode to 'Mode 1' - then you should be away and laughing.

Thanks Dunners - got the same advice from Yamaha support & it works a treat - can't believe its taken me about a month to get my tv, receiver & player all working together as it should

I had the 4k player plugged into hdmi 5 on the Yamaha receiver, which is not hdcp2.2 complaint & only outputs 1080p - took me a few weeks to spot it was 1080p & not 2160p; and then the 10bit color issue - I was surprised there was so much macroblocking on supposedly reference quality material (The Revenant), it was only when the XB1S was connected & gave me the 10 bit color errors that the penny dropped

Got there in the end & to tie this back to the original posters issue, it may be worth seeing if there it an advanced option on the receiver for 4K signals

Hey guys I have the pioneer elite vsx lx301 and Samsung 8500 2015 model. I hooked up the Xbox one S and it won't let me do anything in 4K I have everything hooked up to hdcp 2.2, cannot find any advance settings that let me turn on 4K for each input, so I'm assuming it's automatically on. Any thoughts??? Getting super frustrated

Letting the source do the decoding is no worse than letting the receiver do it. They both use the same codecs licensed to them by DTS and Dolby. The resulting PCM is simply what is compressed within the DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD package. Both Dolby TRueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are lossless compressed formats. PCM is lossless uncompressed data.

Blu-ray Disc Audio - Bitstream vs PCM Output - Which Is Best?

Your receiver would be decoding the bitstreamed audio and sending PCM to its DACs. The only difference is which device is doing the decoding, the source or the receiver.

Thank you for that article - I always wondered if they were the same but with different labels

Well I have an Xbox S and a VSX 930 and i can get a picture and sound but no HDR. The AMP has been updated to the latest software which apparently supports HDR!!. The xbox reports HDR in the settings but everything else has a cross against it.

If i plug Xbox straight into TV HDR works perfectly fine. I also have Sky Q and i cant get a picture or sound if using the AMP. HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 apparently are the two imputs to use but that doesnt seem to be the case. I have reset VSX 930 back to factory settings etc and still nothing.

I have spent hours trying to get both to work and have given up and just use ARC.

Well I have an Xbox S and a VSX 930 and i can get a picture and sound but no HDR. The AMP has been updated to the latest software which apparently supports HDR!!. The xbox reports HDR in the settings but everything else has a cross against it.

If i plug Xbox straight into TV HDR works perfectly fine. I also have Sky Q and i cant get a picture or sound if using the AMP. HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 apparently are the two imputs to use but that doesnt seem to be the case. I have reset VSX 930 back to factory settings etc and still nothing.

I have spent hours trying to get both to work and have given up and just use ARC.
Have you changed the 4K signal output on the Amp from the default 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 for each of the HDMI inputs you want to use, page 88 of the manual?

Have you changed the 4K signal output on the Amp from the default 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 for each of the HDMI inputs you want to use, page 88 of the manual?

Yes I've done that as I also reset the amp settings first time in error.

I've tried everything and it just won't play ball. It's obviously something I'm doing but I can't get it to work.

I'll try it again tonight as I want it to work

Yes I've done that as I also reset the amp settings first time in error.

I've tried everything and it just won't play ball. It's obviously something I'm doing but I can't get it to work.

I'll try it again tonight as I want it to work

I've got the same setup, just got me a very expensive Hdr10 TV and only get xbox ticks on all settings when bypassing the 930. Gutted, hoping someone can get this working and help! When I enable 4.4.4 it actually removes 4k on the xbox strangely.

Well I just got a new Pioneer VSK-1130 and at first I could not get HDR enabled from the Xbox to the TV. I had the same where if I plugged into the TV HDR worked fine but not through the AMP.

Yes there is a solution which is frustrating as to why it is like that but it looks like pioneer engineers added it as an after thought and if you enable it there are issues with old equipment when connecting to those ports. So I understand why Pioneer chose to do it in the way they did.

Okay first off make sure you are using HDMI high speed cables between the xbox one s and from the amp. Make sure you turn on the HDR setting on your TV. On my LG tv it is under Advanced menu and its the Ultra Deep Colour setting. Again they have an option to turn it on and off as some devices don't work well when you enable it. Also make sure you are using HDMI output 1 to the TV and the BD input on the AMP for the Xbox One S.

Now for the kicker. On page 88 of the manual there is a section on HDMI 4k/60p signal output setting. You need to follow this process and change the setting for 4k/60pBD from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4
This enables full bandwidth mode on the port and allows HDR to pass through on it.

Annoying and I can see why I a lot of people have returned the low end Pioneer amps as they just don't offer a good user experience via the menu process. They are really complex menu systems compared to a Yamaha or Denon but then you pay a lot more for those units

*Update I actually could not get it working in the end. While I can get the Xbox One S 4k details screen to have a tick on everything to say it supported it as soon as you pass HDR content through the AMP keeps losing the signal and just can not settle down. I have tried a variety of cables with no success.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom