Xbox One Kinect 'can be turned completely off', confirms Microsoft rep

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So feel free to wander around in your Wife's/Girlfriend's/Neighbour's underwear at your leisure! :D

(or is that just me!? :eek: )

CVG said:
In response to concerns over privacy with its next-gen console, Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One and it's all-seeing Kinect sensor can be turned "completely off".

Concerns have arisen over the implications for potential breach of privacy with an always-on device that's equipped with an advanced camera and microphone array and a constant connection to the internet.
That you can turn on the console with a voice command - therefore suggesting that the Kinect sensor is 'always listening' even when in standby mode - has proven particularly unsettling for some.

Concerns have even been shared by the German federal commissioner for data protection and freedom of information Peter Schaar, who highlighted "Kinect's ability to monitor users even when the console is switched off".

Seeking to allay fears, Microsoft has confirmed that both the Xbox One and its Kinect - which is required for the console to function - can be shut down completely.

"Yes, you can turn the system completely off," a Microsoft rep told Kotaku. "This would use no power and turn everything off.

"We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings, provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored and shared.

The rep went on to assure that privacy protection will be a key focus for the new console.

"We know our customers want and expect strong privacy protections to be built into our products, devices and services, and for companies to be responsible stewards of their data. Microsoft has more than ten years of experience making privacy a top priority. Kinect for Xbox 360 was designed and built with strong privacy protections in place and the new Kinect will continue this commitment. We'll share more details later," they said.

Xbox One was revealed at an event on May 21, when Microsoft confirmed a launch for 'later this year'.

In honesty, he's kinda stating the obvious simply by saying you can turn it off at the mains, which would also presumably mean no "XBOX, ON" commands until you had flicked the switch at the mains to turn it back on again.

I have to say, I'm personally not bothered by it, although I get why people are.

News: Xbox One Kinect 'can be turned completely off', confirms Microsoft rep - CVG UK

saying the xbox one console can be turned off at the mains does not mean kinnect can be completely turned off.... That's pretty much how all electrical items function.

So they have just confirmed what we already know Kinnect is always on...unless you switch off console at the mains or have a powercut.

Agreed, the statement doesn't say much, but it does hint at there being a decent array of privacy settings.

Consumer groups, watchdogs and the EU itself will be all over this if there are any real privacy concerns.

saying the xbox one console can be turned off at the mains does not mean kinnect can be completely turned off.... That's pretty much how all electrical items function.

So they have just confirmed what we already know Kinnect is always on...unless you switch off console at the mains or have a powercut.

That's not how it reads to me at all. It reads that the Kinect can be switched off and the Xbox still works just fine, just as the 360 settings are. It has to be plugged in, but not on. Just tape it up, or put it in a cupboard if you want.

The kinect is just a way to extort money out of people by forcing them to buy something they neither need or want, if it can be disabled then why the **** do we HAVE to buy it in the first place.

Its the equivalent of wanting to buy a tv only to find you can only buy a tv if you buy it with a dvd player whether you want one or not. I just can`t figure out what they were thinking to come up with such a daft idea. Just let people buy it if they want it or sell 2 bundles. One with and one without. Maybe even offer some freebies as an incentive.

The kinect is just a way to extort money out of people by forcing them to buy something they neither need or want, if it can be disabled then why the **** do we HAVE to buy it in the first place.

They will be making no money on it. They will as usual be making a loss on the package.

They will be making no money on it. They will as usual be making a loss on the package.

If that is the case then more fool them for assuming most people will want or use it. Choice is king. :lesson:

More of a loss now people are not bothering with the console altogether.

More of a loss now people are not bothering with the console altogether.

It's not even out for 5 months...No one has had a chance to "bother" with it yet.

Like most launches of new tech, reactions in forums rarely predicts how well something will sell. You get it with iPhones, iPads, consoles, Samsung phones, almost anything.

Right after the reveal everybody in forums says it sucks. Then it goes on to sell in the millions.

Probably more than 90% of sales come from people who never comment in tech forums.

A lot of what is turning off gamers (Kinect and the TV and other media features, for example), will lead to a lot of sales from people who just see stuff demoed in stores or on ads and then want one.

i never wanted kinect, i have no need for kinect, you can now turn off kinect, so why can't anyone have the xbox one without kinect hardware?

makes no sense at all other than to con people out of money.

i never wanted kinect, i have no need for kinect, you can now turn off kinect, so why can't anyone have the xbox one without kinect hardware?

I still don't think they've fully clarified the switching off Kinect, they did mention switching the console of at the mains though?

I think they haven't finalised things yet with a lot of things. This could be one of them. That's why stuff is being batted away with answers that leave more questions. If they knew exactly they would come out and say I reckon.

Or they just don't want to admit it. Or they have something special lined up for E3 to reveal that makes it a great move (prob not).

Probably more than 90% of sales come from people who never comment in tech forums.

MS better hope so. Have a browse through the official Xbox Forum and you`ll see vast numbers of peoples absolutely slating MS. Its a massive majority too. I`m not saying they`re right but right now if you go by the numbers picking holes in the console/media centre/back scratcher/spycam then MS have some serious work to do to shift these.

And pre-orders are pointless too as I can imagine some people have pro-ordered with different suppliers and some have gone for pre-ordering an Xbox and a PS4 and will cancel whichever one they don't fancy.

Hopefully E3 will answer all these unanswered questions and people will be able to make a more informed choice.

That's not how it reads to me at all. It reads that the Kinect can be switched off and the Xbox still works just fine, .

I don`t see that. He say`s you can turn the "system" completely off. He also say`s "This would use no power and turn everything off", that implies the everything has to be switched off to use no power.

I`d be more worried about the data they say companies can use, store and share.

"We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings, provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored and shared.

I can't believe all the hate microsoft are getting for adding a feature to a machine.

My tv comes with a camera, 3d and smart features that are a pile of ****, I just don't use it.

If the xbox one is that **** have you thought of buying a ps4? It might suit your needs more

You lot honestly think that in this day and age a company could release a product that films you without your consent?! Damn I thought I was paranoid :laugh:

It's not even out for 5 months...No one has had a chance to "bother" with it yet.

Like most launches of new tech, reactions in forums rarely predicts how well something will sell. You get it with iPhones, iPads, consoles, Samsung phones, almost anything.

Right after the reveal everybody in forums says it sucks. Then it goes on to sell in the millions.

Makes me laugh every year! :laugh:

Whether its an iPhone, the latest CoD, Gears of War, there's tonnes of naysayers saying "That's it, I'm done with <product X> now, I'm not spending another penny of my hard earned cash on this ****" months before release!

And then, what do you know? Months later, it's "Grrr-I've been sucked it again, I've just stuck my Pre order in".

It would be great to see a thread called I'm not buying <Product X>, get people to post in it and see what happens in the run up to release...! :devil:

It's very easy to slate new technology before release. I'm a gamer and want the best experience possible. Even if I genuinely hated MS's 'direction' (I don't because I think it's been overstated) and resisted buying an XBO at release, I know the first time I saw Forza 5 or Watchdogs at a mates house the gamer in me would want one. I suspect once the new consoles are in the wild the gamer in a lot of people will find it difficult to resist regardless of any restrictions the manufacturers put into DRM etc.

It does make sense if they want to move Kinect forward. Lets say MS didn't bundle Kinect with Xbox One, there's a lot of game developers out there who would be reluctant to invest a lot of time and money making a game for Kinect that they would only be able to sell to the small percentage of people with Kinect.

Now that everyone who buys the new console will have Kinect we should see a lot more games that use its features, hopefully innovative original games and not the usual dance or keep fit.

Personally im not overjoyed that they have bundled this with every console but you never know, maybe a few years down the line we may look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. I do believe it has potential.

I can't believe all the hate microsoft are getting for adding a feature to a machine.

My tv comes with a camera, 3d and smart features that are a pile of ****, I just don't use it.

If the xbox one is that **** have you thought of buying a ps4? It might suit your needs more

You lot honestly think that in this day and age a company could release a product that films you without your consent?! Damn I thought I was paranoid :laugh:

There is one slight difference though. With tv's you've got a massive choice of lcd, led, plasma, size plus different features on different models. You can choose the one that suits your needs and budget. With the X1 though there's one flavour & no choice about buying a big standard version without the blasted kinect. You might think its the future but there's plenty out there who arent happy about having this come as standard and possibly having the extra cost factored in. Unless ms are chucking it in free. Which i seriously doubt.

It does make sense if they want to move Kinect forward. Lets say MS didn't bundle Kinect with Xbox One, there's a lot of game developers out there who would be reluctant to invest a lot of time and money making a game for Kinect that they would only be able to sell to the small percentage of people with Kinect.

Now that everyone who buys the new console will have Kinect we should see a lot more games that use its features, hopefully innovative original games and not the usual dance or keep fit.

Personally im not overjoyed that they have bundled this with every console but you never know, maybe a few years down the line we may look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. I do believe it has potential.

Exactly this!

Source for what, that the new machine will be making a loss? There is no source as it hasn't been discussed. Or that historically companies make a loss on consoles within the first few years? Google is your source, it's common knowledge. Why would this generation be any different?

Microsoft took a hit on both Xbox and Xbox 360 http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-taking-126-hit-per-xbox-360-6140383
I'm sure a quick search will find similar stories regarding the Sony consoles.

Last edited:
Source for what, that the new machine will be making a loss? There is no source as it hasn't been discussed. Or that historically companies make a loss on consoles within the first few years? Google is your source, it's common knowledge. Why would this generation be any different?

Microsoft took a hit on both Xbox and Xbox 360 Microsoft taking $126 hit per Xbox 360 - GameSpot.com
I'm sure a quick search will find similar stories regarding the Sony consoles.

So just a guess then.

Whether they make a loss or not isn't the point anyway. They could charge less for the console if they don't bundle in the spy camera.

It's more than a guess when it's happened with pretty much every console for the last 25 years.

And also, pretty much every piece of technology I've ever bought has come with either peripherals I don't want or features I don't want. I don't expect a reduction because I don't want them, or a special bundle put together for me that contains just what's right for me.

I don't know why people are so angry. You have the option to shaft MS if you want to by not buying what they sell. If this new XBox is so terrible that people are pushed to the point of anger then why would they have any further interest in it?

If something was so far from what I wanted that it got me angry, I'd move on very fast.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom