Xbox one: How do you use yours?

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Gazaman, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Just out of curiosity,how do you use your Xbox?
    Is it in a bedroom or living room? Do you frequently use snapping? If so what do U snap? Do you use voice control?
    The reason i ask is because I still use mine like I did my 360. I end what im doing to start something else and can't find any use for snapping. Other than football I can't see any other tv program U could possibly snap and follow while multitasking.
    Also my xone is in my living room so in the day there is background noise so voice recognition is hit and miss so dont use it and in the evening the kids are asleep so tend to not sit shouting at the Xbox.
    I personally like the concept and was genuinely looking forward to it but now its here and possible,I can't find any use for it.
    Is it just me?

2. TayWax

TayWax
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Nope, not just you. I'm pretty much in exactly the same position and end up using it the same. I still love it tho. Just wish I had a bit more time to use it

3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    A good thread idea as this is probably the area that interests me more than anything. Has the XB1 changed how people use their console or is it as you suggest just gimmicks with folk using their XB1 just as they did their 360.

I find that the voice commands on PS4 work very well and when I tried them on XB1 they worked well too. Now as folk know I've not lived with the xb1 as part of my living room set up, but I find that I turn off voice commands on the PS4 as other folk chatting just interferes (and is there anyone who has kids who doesn't have a noisy living room). I got sick of Tomb Raider pausing every few seconds and whilst it was nice to bring my map up by saying "show map", it was just as easy to press the touch pad.

I can see how it may work better for folk who have a dedicated gaming environment without kids running about and a wife trying to have conversations with them, but I know that I would just end up using the pad to navigate. Given that MS are focusing on the device being a centre of the living room experience then this is a potential flaw for many.

4. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    Well I don't use TV through mine, because I want my X1 to have game settings on the TV. However, I do use snap. Machinima is a great app and I snap it in game for hints when I'm stuck. I also sometimes snap xbox music but I think MS need to work on letting me mix the sound myself. I'd like for example to play peggle 2 with no in game sound or music. I'm sure that will come.

I have used the X1 to watch films on, something I never did before. Xbox bing and the superb voice recognition is the reason. I can easily find any film and see which services let me rent it cheaply....

Use voice all the time and it has changed the way I interact with the console and how my wife interacts with it...

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I've not used Xbox music but that is something that works well with music unlimited and can see it being something that both companies use to help push their music services. Music Unlimited even has choses mixes for specific games now, or you can just play whatever you like and build your own playlists for certain games. For NFS rivals for example I have a playlist of driving tracks etc. I can then just knock out the in game music and play that instead. Works well.

6. jay1987

jay1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I use mine exactly the same as the 360, mine is connected up to a separate TV, no chance i'd get any time on it connected to the main TV :)

I don't use any of the media capabilities, and won't until DLNA is available (i don't need to rent movies at those prices, i have plenty on my PC), same with the bluray, never used it as all my media is digital.

Voice commands aren't really an option for me, with 2 noisy kids, wife and dog if just doesn't reconise me most of the time, the only time i use it is to record clips because snapping and using the DVR is a pita.

Same as most regarding snapping, i have found no use for it and probably won't, last thing i want when playing a game is a large portion of the screen missing, if i need to do 2 things i'll pause the game and go back to it when finished.

Without doubt the best thing for me is the resume game, i like that i can shut the console down and get right back into my game when i turn it on

Still love my Xbox tho, and can only see it improving

7. GaryMo

GaryMo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Pretty much used as a straight forward games console in the living room with the occasional video played over the network from my PC. I do use the kinect voice but only to turn on and off. Never used snapping, don't really know why I'd want to either.

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I've been slowly evolving my habits. For the past few weeks, we've been running the TV (Sky HD) through the XB1 and we've not felt any need to go back. The idea of having everything through the dashboard really helps out for the way we use our system: I'm often waiting for a friend to come online and I see their invite while watching TV, and I can switch and watch TV while waiting for a game.

It's difficult to describe without seeing it action: it's one of those things that you end up really missing when you don't have it (when I'm on my Wii U or 360). A DLNA app to play music without snapping, 60Hz, yeah we know it's not yet the finished product. But the voice commands (the search is excellent), the quick movement between sources, the notifications when something is ready, it just seems like the way forward.

I don't have kids so I can't comment about unwanted voice commands (I'm surprised people get this, don't you have to say Xbox before a command?), but it works most of the time for me and when you learn some of the other shortcuts it's a real time saver or clever way of managing what you're doing, especially when you don't have a controller in your hand.

Not a big fan of snap in it's current form, takes too much screen space, and the Bluray app needed some work (hopefully fixed now) but generally it's working very well for us using the XB1 for our hub.

9. Slack Squadron

Slack Squadron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    For me it hasnt changed much of how I use the Xbox. I do watch more movies via my
    Netflix subscription and it is my first Blu-ray player.

Voice and gesture commands get used marginally in the general interface but I use them heavily when playing games now. Calling for a med kit in BF4 is so much more convenient than using the pad.

The only thing I ever snap at the moment is the party interface.

10. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I bought mine as a games machine primarily and as my only Blu Ray player...will be glad when DD through optical is sorted so I can watch movies and play games through my speakers like I did with my 360.

Blu Ray seems to work well now there have been a couple of updates... was gutted when I watched my first blu ray and the lip sync was well out... and it was the Matrix, my fav film ever :)

I do like Snap and also xbox music, although would like an option where I can hide the app and have music playing in the background, and so keeping all the screen for the games.

Mine is not in the living room but with my PC set up (use a HD PVR2 to record from the 360 and the xbox one... well my son does that mostly even though I do record the odd thing).
    This also means that I don't hog the main TV... and i get to play on it without fuss when the kids are tucked up in bed.

I do find myself using the voice commands and they do work a lot better than on the 360.

I really like Game DVR and upload studio... "Xbox record that" does get used quite often and think it is a brilliant addition.

not used any TV stuff.

I have used internet explorer though and this worked flawlessly for me... you can flick to IE to check the footy scores at half time on a FIFA 14 game with my son :)
    Also try xboxie.com, it has some games (like cut the rope for example) that are optimised for IE on xbox one. good to keeps the kids occupied if you are happy to let them near your Xbox One.

I like iwb100's idea of snapping machinima for game hints.. cheers for that will try that.

Cheers

Gaz

11. EDDS

EDDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    I use pretty much all the features of the X1, I have it turn on and off my TV, snap is something I thought I would never use but I've used it quite a bit for example 4OD/whatever when I'm grinding out an achievement (Dead Rising zombie kills...).

I use voice commands all the time, love opening up a game or app and navigating to where I want to go while I'm doing something else.

12. bubs999

bubs999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +634
    Not used IE yet and can't really find a use for snap, but use most other things. It's in my living room and linked up to TiVo and surround system

13. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Only planned to directly replace my 360 with the One, but ended up ditching a Blu Ray player too. I only use the One for gaming and the occasional BR, so I'm not massively unhappy with the missing functionality that the 360 had and I don't see the point of running Sky through it.

Just waiting for DD 5.1 support so I can make the most of my TBs now.

14. toonosaurus

toonosaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    My XB1 is the main box in my living room, I have that and a humax box which is plugged into the Xbox pass through and it works great!
    I don't use the snap feature to much at minute as I hate the way it's only in the top corner and there is a lot of wasted space underneath. Also why have sound from the snap and the main picture!

15. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I dont like the menus system and dont like to find a menu to get inside another menu so I just use voice command xbox play forza motorsport 5 or xbox friends even xbox turn off because I'm lazy :D I am probably the only one who uses voice control.

16. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    Most Xbox One owners use voice control, I reckon...

17. JamesCWood

JamesCWood
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very difficult NOT to use voice control I reckon, it makes everything so much easier!

Have my xbox hooked up to a yamaha amp, and then into my TV, I used a TiVo but it sometimes doesn't work and my flatmate lost patience. When native support gets included I will probably link them up.

Really missing DNLA and USB film support, as PlayTo is extremely inconsistent in speed for me. My NAS is currently having to go through an Xbox 360, which i have plugged in to the same TV as my Xbox one... great step backwards Microsoft!!

18. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,032
    I use mine in the living room. I use it mainly for gaming and netflix. I find the tv does utube better but only because I can't be bothered to setup the ipad control on the x1. I use streaming from a nas and the tv does a better job than the x1. The tv also has integrated freesat so no need to put any tv through the x1. Its great for gaming and netflix though.

19. Stretchy

Stretchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Great idea for a thread!! I would say im also with the majority, use it in a fairly similar way to how i used the 360 but am debating making some changes, not sure if the family will dive in or not. Currently still have the XB1, Sky HD and Blu Ray Player all running individually into a Yamaha Amp, but with the recent/upcoming changes the XB1 Blu Ray functionality im thinking of removing the Blu Ray from the cabinet (plus it will be a tad cooler). Anybody ditched theirs in favour of the XB1? Not sure if im fully onboard yet with running the sky through the XB1 until there is pass-through in standby as i can just cant see the family being puzzled by having to turn it on all the time, but it would remove the need to swap input on the amp. Hmmmm.....

20. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    The problem I have is that my main gaming screen isnt the screen above the xbox/kinect!
    I have all my devices including kinect on an AV cabinet near our main tv. Now voice control works great if we want a quick game on KS rivals or watch tv etc on the main screen but most of the time,I play on a different screen at the other side of the room while the family watch tv on the main tv. This creates a few issues:-
    1)The kinect isn't near me which probably doesnt help when using voice commands.
    2)Also it means I cant use gestures or even broadcast myself (which to be fair,I prob wouldnt anyway) when twitch arrives.
    3)The background noise of the family watching tv etc makes voice control pretty useless.
    With such heavy kinect integration, navigation of the UI is quite frustrating for me.
    "XboX record that" is the main one I would use but it doesnt work for me. Using snapped apps when using the controller is also pretty clunky.
    Its purely my set up though and I appreciate its not an issue with the console. Although some of the points above could be applicable to any family living room so the whole concept is far from perfect as it is at the min IMO.

21. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Have you got a tablet @Gazaman? Try using Smartglass, it's been improved in the latest update too.

22. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Good thread.

I've been using mine primarily as a games console but it has also now become my default bluray player. With the patch incoming I finally plugged Sky in the back and it's working flawlessly, as someone said above there doesn't seem any reason not to unplug it now. I use voice commands a lot and rarely navigate with the pad, for me the Kinnect is worth having just for that.

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    My Xbox One will be used mainly for exclusives but maybe for popular online games as well. I know that these are probably going to be slightly better on the PS4, but I still feel that Live is a more connected community than PSN. PSN has come on leaps and bounds and there's a good community on here, but in think it will take a while yet before it is as connected as Live.

I also use the Xbox One for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and You tube as I can use my harmony remote to control everything, where as with the PS4 I need to use the pad to control it.

The TV In function won't work properly with my setup as my harmony either controls the xb1 or my sky box, but not both. I may try it again once I've got the update and once my Kinect mount has arrived (so that I can use voice commands).

24. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I've set up gaming/Bluray and and TV as two separate activities on mine, depending on what I'm going into. Easy enough to switch between the two then.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Yeah I was experimenting with it a bit yesterday but couldn't seem to get it going as I'd like. I tried a TV via Xbox activity and that booted everything up ok but then the remote only did the tv. I guess I could turn on my pad to control the Xbox side of things or switch to the Xbox device on the harmony.

If you don't mind me asking Lawrence, how exactly have you got yours set up. I am guessing that your setup if probably fairly similar to mine with an amp (with several devices attached) to a single input on your TV. You then have a set top box (sky etc.) connected to the XB1.

26. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Yeah, exactly that @CAS FAN, I have a Denon AV amp which takes 6x HDMI inputs and outputs a single HDMI to my TV. The Sky HD runs through the XB1, been like that for a couple of months now. (You need to update your sig, by the way ;) )

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Do you tend to use the harmony to turn everything on or do you do the Xbox on, go to TV thing?

28. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I started with the voice commands for turning the XB1 on/off, but I switched to the harmony for that as the remote needs to know the on/off state of everything to work properly. It's dead easy now though, once you've got all the activities set up. The default Xbox off command needed a bit of a tweak, and I added a 20s delay to the TV on command before selecting the TV app on the dashboard which I have pinned to the top right of the list.

29. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,750
    Mine is in my living room and I mainly use it as a media device at the moment as I don't have too many games for it at the moment.

Snapping sound like a great idea at first but the video is so small (on my 32" TV) and a lot space seems wasted. I think would use the snap feature a little more if it just showed the video as an overlay with a little transparency over the game (or gave me the option to have one option or another). I know I would be missing something in the game but I would use it more (I might be the only one though).

30. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    My XB1 is in our spare bedroom, I've repurposed it for my PC and game consoles for now. ;)
    I use it mainly as a games console and kinect remains unplugged for now even though it's mounted on top of the TV (was taking up too much space on the desk beside it). It's occassionally used as a bluray player as well, but as I have to fall back to the PS3 for 3D bluray playback I still tend to use that.