Question xbox one game updates (size of)

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just ordered an xbone 1TB bundle with fallout 3 and 4. Also ordered Forza 6 and GTA 5. Will I need to download massive updates for these games? I'm on 2mb ADSL connection (actual speed closer to 1mb most of the time - best I can get) so any downloading takes a lonnnnnnng time. I can torrent up to 4GB a night over 8 hours.....

I'm expecting the worse, but confirmation would be helpful. All but Fallout 3 will be disks.

Thanks. :)

Hello??

Can't believe with 70+ views there isn't a simple yes/no....

Will I need to spend the best part of a week (per game) downloading updates to play these games?

All of the above is due to arrive tomorrow.

On a 1-2mb connection, you can expect to spend many many hours (likely days) installing and updating those games but it certainly shouldn't take a week to install and update one game.

Not sure whether there are huge updates for those particular games, but I would suggest setting the console to offline before installing the discs. If it's set to online it will try to install the updates the same time it installs any updates. Doing this takes much longer than doing each element seperately. Once the games installed set the console online and when you run the game it will tell you it needs to update.
My nephew had to reinstall Halo 5 yesterday - the update was 18GB [emoji37]

I won't have it hooked up to the internet to start with. Need to get my home plugs working first (my chillout room is a wifi blackspot for some reason). I've had them a year and I'm still stumped lol. Keeps asking for a code, though I've set no code, and there is no indication of a code in the retail box?

18gb will take the best part of 5 days (@8 hours per night with no drop out)...!

When I torrent I max at around 170kbs...

According to the World Wide Web a 40Gb file on a 2mb connection should take around 48 hours to download. Do you have any friend's or family member's with 'superfast' broadband that would allow you to do it all there?

Nope. I live in rural France. 2mb is the best you can get unless you're super lucky, in which case you can get 6mb 'fiber'.....

I have to download overnight. Downloading during the day even at 170kbs renders the internet useless.

That's certainly the downfall when it comes to today's games. I'm lucky enough to have 70mb broadband now but I can recall having 4mb and that took a while installing 360/PS3 games.

Best of luck in getting it all set up.

It's annoying but worth it. I live in a place where you don't need to lock doors and there is zero crime. Everyone around here is either a farmer, old, retired or dead. :D

Will these games play without being updated via the internet?

I'm OK with single player offline mode. I knew my internet wouldn't really cope with online co-op when I made the purchase.

They should do if you don't go online, as the game won't know there is an update available. But there might be bugs with the game that you have to put up with that the update would have fixed.

I'm sure you can play games, offline, without having to install the updates but as far as I know you'll at least have to install the game though I'm not entirely sure so hopefully someone more experienced can answer that.

That's ok. I will update them all online eventually, but I don't want to have to wait a month+ to try the game out.

Fallout4 and Forza are the ones I want to play first. The rest can wait. GTA tends to bore me after a while anyway as I always get stuck on a mission and just revert to using cheat codes.

Forza really needs a wheel, so Fallout 4 will be first to play.

(For other users with the same question)

Right, so I said sod it and hooked the xbox up to the wifi...

xbox wanted an immediate 1.1gb update. Only my sloooow internet this took 2 hours (I know..). Though the first time round the xbox turned itself off (not part of the update).

Not long stuck Fallout 4 in and that wants a 560mb update + installation time.

Forza 6 required a 3.5gb update. I did that overnight.

GTA5 installing now. Requires 8.5gb update.

Last edited:
Hello??

Will I need to spend the best part of a week (per game) downloading updates to play these games?

Helps if you post in the correct section as not a lot of people post in this Xbox Section but lots do in the Xbox One Section - Xbox One

I was being impatient, and likely drunk at the time of posting..

Hello??

If you posted in the Xbox One section you would've got a quicker answer... ;)

This is the 360 / general Xbox section.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom