Xbox One External Hard drive

Mjather93

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if the xbox one will allow me to use my external hard drive to play home movies off just like my xbox 360 does?

thanks

I don't get why it isn't standard when it was present on xbox 360. Seems silly to me!

I don't get why it isn't standard when it was present on xbox 360. Seems silly to me!

If they waited to release the XB1 until everything was ready it would still be months away.

But it was a standard feature of the xbox 360 surely it can't be that hard to copy it over?

There were/are a lot of features that were present on the 360 but not on the XB1, building a brand new OS for a brand new console takes time but it will get there eventually.

There were/are a lot of features that were present on the 360 but not on the XB1, building a brand new OS for a brand new console takes time but it will get there eventually.

they did not support games and such on the device at launch, but now if it can be plugged in we probably would expect that so its a double edged sword. I think they want to release the feature and have it all done in one as they whole storage space logic all needs to be there etc. tbh usb is useless for me, it needs a nas browser, thats where it is at :)

in fact I am not sure it read external media at launch, was it not a later update to allow ipod media? although it was probably really close to launch.

lets hope it comes soon tho, as for an all it one box its a little too close to a one trick pony atm outside the USA.

At launch it would play .wmv files and that was about it, was a year or more before the Media Update was released and years until it supported external storage.

With only 5GB (98.4% full) on my Xbox One this can't come soon enough for me! I have heard a whisper that it may be a part of the May update... but that is still a rumour at present!

I saw a Seagate 4TB drive for £100 on Amazon and was tempted to go for it, but daren't in case they put in some stupid space restrictions which will render huge amounts of capacity wasted!

I am actually putting off buying any more games now based on this! :thumbsdow

There's absolutely no excuse for this omission. I've bought all of my previous consoles at launch (or very close to) and this is the only one I regret buying.

There's absolutely no excuse for this omission. I've bought all of my previous consoles at launch (or very close to) and this is the only one I regret buying.

Did they all have Ext HDD support at launch then ?

It is coming, its not a deal breaker really is it ?

Did they all have Ext HDD support at launch then ?

Just because a previous gen console didn't have it at launch, doesn't mean that the "Next gen" console should take the backward step of omitting it again for launch.

Just because a previous gen console didn't have it at launch, doesn't mean that the "Next gen" console should take the backward step of omitting it again for launch.

So are you annoyed about the Game Side of it or your Movies not playing via USB HDD ?

Both consoles were rushed for release same as previous Gen's I really dont think its a major negative.
I'm too busy playing the games. Its a new console new features its not a straight copy of the 360 with added bells and whistles. It will be coming at some point.

Always helps to do some research before a purchase, plus this is the normal sort of stuff with any new tech. Stuff will be added over time.

And it wouldn't have been out before Xmas....which would have been a deal breaker for MS.

So are you annoyed about the Game Side of it or your Movies not playing via USB HDD ?

Always helps to do some research before a purchase

It's the lack of ability to play media from a USB drive that bothers me because I use that a lot.

I agree that you should do research before buying stuff but some things should go without saying and this falls well into this category IMO.

I never even occurred to me to check whether such a basic feature would be included on a device claiming to be an "All in one" media device.

Even when external media storage is enabled there is no guarantee it will be for anything more than storing games, I would be very surprised if it supported playback of mkv files files.

It annoyed me at first but since discovering the joys of Samsung's (maybe all Android?) sharing abilities then I'm not overly fussed. I just stick the films on to my phone and stream them from there or, if you really don't fancy that, grab Skifta from Google Play and just stream from anywhere on your network.

Yes but what they should have done was allow users to upgrade the internal HDD or allow a slot for you to add an official HDD

Now we will have a drive at the end of a cable sitting somewhere for the wife to dust ;)

Yes but what they should have done was allow users to upgrade the internal HDD or allow a slot for you to add an official HDD

Now we will have a drive at the end of a cable sitting somewhere for the wife to dust ;)

As long as I can plug in a 3.0 4TB HDD and leave it out of sight somewhere I will be happy... that should keep me going for many years into the future!

What I don't want is to be forced into buying an "MS" HDD that is only available in smaller sizes and costs a relative fortune... if they are trying to win the support of the fans... they need to change their approach to these sorts of things!

Coming in the June update.... Xbox Wire

It couldn’t be easier to increase your storage capacity of games and apps with the external storage support features we’re bringing in June. Your Xbox One system will soon support up to two external hard drives at once. Simply plug in your 256 GB or larger USB 3.0 external hard drive and once formatted, copy and move games, apps and game add-ons to increase your storage capacity at home.

This is also a great way to take your content to a friend’s house and get straight into a game directly from an external drive. You’ll need to sign in to Xbox Live if you’ve purchased your content digitally or insert a disc to verify your game ownership when you take your content on the road. The great benefit here is there’s no need to wait to re-download your game and all the DLC. With external storage support in June, you can also choose to copy full games and all of the associated content in one easy step.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom