Xbox One – One Year On

Covcraig

Well all those are ticked to yes and I havent received anything :( what do you do in this situation?

On a side note, I havent got any year one achievement despite getting the console and redeeming the day one achievement on release day

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Well all those are ticked to yes and I havent received anything :( what do you do in this situation?
I've tried crying, but it hasn't helped. So I've contact Xbox customer support, as I assume not getting the email is a high priority issue. To their credit, they were very professional, and calmed me down with the patience and wisdom of a seasoned Samaritan. They said that some had not yet received the email, but all would. I'm not holding my breath. I tried at first, but I nearly passed out and had a panic attack.

Covcraig

Just spoke to someone on support, after going through the obligatory check to see if I had marketing emails and such ticked to yes (which I have) she told me to email [email protected] and they would send my email and let me know about the 365 day achievement so hopefully ill get a response soon

I went to have a look at this so called 'Day One Background'... Can't find it anywhere.

Went into Settings - My Xbox - Achievement Art like the instructions said but I can't see it. It just goes into my achievements.

So am I being stupid and it means I can pick one of my own achievements as my background? I thought it meant a special day one background?

D

Deleted member 92943

People should be grateful to get anything from Microsoft. Sony haven't given us anything :p

Detto

I went to have a look at this so called 'Day One Background'... Can't find it anywhere.

Went into Settings - My Xbox - Achievement Art like the instructions said but I can't see it. It just goes into my achievements.

So am I being stupid and it means I can pick one of my own achievements as my background? I thought it meant a special day one background?
Don't you have to download it on a computer and transfer it

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Those of you getting Limbo and haven't played it are in for a little treat. Great art direction and a challenge. Nice gift that

LemonGrab

When both new consoles were announced i went with the PS4 based on MS making a mess and the better specs of the PS4. Purchased it at launch and within a few weeks it was gathering dust. I gave Destiny a go but got bored of that and the community and looked across at the Xbox side and was green with envy.

So i bit the bullet and sold my PS4 and picked up an Xbox one about a month ago so here are my impressions.

Hardware

Silent when running and looks quite retro. The Kinect is awesome, i will never get bored of saying xbox on blah blah and being able to control all aspects of my games catalogue and tv with my voice, hell even my missis can do it and she is pretty simple.

Interface

To be honest i still get lost in it and find it a tad confusing with so much going on, i am sure over time i will adjust and i need to invest some time to have it laid out how i want.

Games

Where to start, the amount of exclusives that i like to play really put the PS4 to shame, fair enough i will miss out on the Order but hey life is too short and i dont have enough time to play the exclusives i have let alone think about games on other consoles. For the cross platform games i can genuinely not tell the difference in graphics and besides i play games to have fun not to gaze in awe at fancy graphics.

What does annoy me though and is symptomatic to all games at the moment is the Alpha/Beta releases we are suppose to suck up as finished products. I have had enough of performing UAT for developers games and have already made the decision that Halo5 is not being purchased until they fix MCC.

Live

PSN is crap end of and i am glad to be back in Xbox Live land.

Don't you have to download it on a computer and transfer it
It doesn't say that though...

image.jpg

reecie

I imagine people will post the image on the net anyway. So you can just add it yourself. These kind of things are a bit pointless anyway now we can put anything we like there.

leeince

Distinguished Member
I got the poster through my emails and I got Limbo through messages on Smartglass. It said something about being an early adopter so maybe only day one owners get limbo?? Can anyone confirm??

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
When both new consoles were announced i went with the PS4 based on MS making a mess and the better specs of the PS4.
I never understood why MS's poor marketing effected what console people chose. They messed up the launch - so what, that doesn't effect the performance of the machine.

For the cross platform games i can genuinely not tell the difference in graphics
Well of course you can't. Even when comparing side by side it's hard to see any improvement with the PS4. I looked on the PS4 side of our forum for the first time in 12 months a week ago, and see the same rubbish is still being spouted by some PS4 evangelists :rolleyes: The PS4 will get some great games that aren't available on the X1, but it seems pretty clear that the X1 has been the better console in the first year.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
I never understood why MS's poor marketing effected what console people chose. They messed up the launch - so what, that doesn't effect the performance of the machine.

Well of course you can't. Even when comparing side by side it's hard to see any improvement with the PS4. I looked on the PS4 side of our forum for the first time in 12 months a week ago, and see the same rubbish is still being spouted by some PS4 evangelists :rolleyes: The PS4 will get some great games that aren't available on the X1, but it seems pretty clear that the X1 has been the better console in the first year.
Apparently greatness awaits. How long they'll have to wait for it nobody knows :rotfl:

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Apparently greatness awaits. How long they'll have to wait for it nobody knows :rotfl:
A couple of months ago, in the PS4 section, in answer to "Not sure I can see why 360 owners would have jumped to PS4 rather than XBOX One though", the main PS4 fanboy replied:

"- they wanted to continue playing the better version of multi-platform games
- because Sony delivers better first party (quantity, breadth and depth and over the whole console lifecycle)
- PlayStation has more games
- PlayStation has loads of free games
- PS+ > Gold"

:rolleyes:

Head in the sand.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
A couple of months ago, in the PS4 section, in answer to "Not sure I can see why 360 owners would have jumped to PS4 rather than XBOX One though", the main PS4 fanboy replied:

"- they wanted to continue playing the better version of multi-platform games
- because Sony delivers better first party (quantity, breadth and depth and over the whole console lifecycle)
- PlayStation has more games
- PlayStation has loads of free games
- PS+ > Gold"

:rolleyes:

Head in the sand.
It's difficult to judge over the lifetime of a console as we just don't know what Sony have coming up. When it comes to exclusives they definitely did better towards the latter end of the PS3's life than the 360 did. All we know currently is year one and all I can say is that I'm more than happy with the quantity of exclusives and their quality.

I don't hold much stock in any one reviewer as taste is subjective, but I do hold stock across the lot of them, so I look to the metacritic scores (reviewers not users as the water tends to be muddied by fanboys from either side voting things up or down accordingly). The recent MS exclusives have scored excellently for year one games and I truly do believe XBox will fare better when it comes to exclusives this generation simply because of one man, Phil Spencer. He's a true gamer and he knows that the focus needs to be on games and a constant stream of quality exclusives. It also seems like he's happy to accommodate developers and let them build the games that they want to make. He trusts their talent and seems to give them some leeway to create their own vision. I dread to think where we'd be if Don Matrick were still in charge!

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Xbox One: The Year One Review - GameSpot

Just watched the GameSpot video linked above and I 'm surprised how critical they are about the Xbox One.
Let's have a look at that review:
"Who, hand on heart, can tell the difference between 900p and 1080p?

It is difficult to gauge how meaningful this will be for everyone. Who, hand on heart, can tell the difference between 900p and 1080p? Such a minor disparity in resolution can be found between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of key triple-A games such as Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

However, with some other games the difference is less subtle. The likes of Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts render at 720p on Xbox One, while the PS4 versions maintain a 1080p display."

Er, Battlefield 4 is 900p on the PS4. Great review GameSpot :rolleyes:

Covcraig

Got an email back from Microsoft. It was a cut and paste response but basically said all the emails had gone out and if you didn't get one it could be for various reasons but the long and short of it there was no chance of getting a replacement email.

fudge Microsoft

DJ KRIME

I got the poster through my emails and I got Limbo through messages on Smartglass. It said something about being an early adopter so maybe only day one owners get limbo?? Can anyone confirm??
I'm a day one owner and I didn't get limbo.

sordid_sentinel

Still no Limbo for me, day one owner with the achievement and whatnot.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li