Xbox One – One Year On

King Tones

Distinguished Member
So I got the idea from the PS4 Thread and thought it would be a good idea for the same to be discussed on the Xbox One.

I have not added a poll to be honest just because I don’t think you could sum it up with just a few options and thought it might open it up for more of a discussion.

If a mod disagrees then get one added ;)

So how do you feel the first year of the Xbox One has gone and from where we were with the console at launch to where we are now?

This is my first Console I have purchased at launch, previous consoles I normally waited a year at least before picking up a decent bundle. This time I jumped straight in on Day 1 and have no regrets.

When I purchased my 360 years ago I got 3 games with it. Halo 3, Assassins Creed & Gears of War. It was probably another 6 months until I purchased a few other games. Prey & COD4 I must have had maybe a handful of games on the 360 within the first year of owning it and maybe put in 100 hours or so.

This time round I have so many games after a year of owning the console. I have close to 30 Digital Games and loads more on top of that from my game sharing xbox brodude.

Games

Imo Games have been fantastic so far, I would not have so many otherwise. Gaming highlights for me have been the exclusives so far. Titanfall, Forza Horizons 2, Dead Rising 3, Ryse Son Of Rome, Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC & Max The Curse Of Brotherhood. On top of those games like Peggle 2, Plants Vs Zombies, Alien : Isolation, Tomb Raider & Warframe.

I have never owned so many games and on top of that they are all Digital Games so I can just say ‘Xbox Go To Titanfall’ and within seconds be playing an online game.

I have sunk so many hours into these games. I have clocked up 260 hours just on Titanfall, 40+ hours on FH2, Completed Ryse Twice, Completed Max twice and working my way through Halo MCC, completed Sunset OD and playing through that again for the collectibles. Sunk hours into games like Peggle 2 with the wife and had hours of fun playing PvZ.

On top of all of this there are about 14 more games I want that have been released that include big title such as Far Cry 4 to little games like Stick It To The Man.

I know the Xbox One is referred to as the Media Box that also plays games and had taken a hit on performance for that but if it wasn’t for the Constant Comparisons and articles I doubt I would notice. I have still had hundreds of hours of fun playing on my Media Box. I can get into games incredibly quick, turn console on and select the game I last played and I am in the same position I was when I turned the console off. For games like Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset OD this was a fantastic feature and certainly makes me feel like I have a Next Gen console. And this feature will only get more reliant on with games like GTA, AC Unity and Far Cry 4.

Hardware

So hardware, The Xbox One is a big old machine with an external PSU….Oh my!

I have never seen an issue with the external PSU but each to their own. I think it looks great and sits perfectly centre stage in my games room. It’s silent and feels sturdy. Well worth the money I paid.

The Controller took some getting used to after the 360 controller. After playing the 360 for 6 years and thinking it was the best controller I have ever used on all consoles the X1 just felt strange. A few months on and it’s become 2nd nature that makes the 360 pad feel inferior. I know some people have had issues with build quality but mine has been spot on and it just feels so good in my hands. The Rumble in the controller and triggers are immense and you soon get used to them.

I thought my controller had broken a while back as the batteries were dying and the first thing that goes is the rumble triggers. In a game of Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2 it just felt weird I missed the response from the triggers, once you use them you cannot go back. I never thought a bit of feedback in the triggers would add so much but it really does.

Kinect, I don’t think my console would be the same without it. Yeah it’s not the huge step I had hoped. We don’t have next gen Kinect games but you do get used to it so quickly. I knew I relied on it too much when I left my TV on all night after turning off my 360. Of course it does not do the same!

Xbox Record That, I have created so many clips and shared them just with that feature. Xbox Go To ‘Game/App’, Xbox Snap & Xbox Launch. I thought I would feel like a bit of a dick talking to my console but it has become 2nd nature and the Xbox One is better imo with a Kinect…Kinected…;)

And it’s added to games not just for those ‘Xbox Record That’ moments but little features. In BF4 I can ask for ammo rather than using the controller. In Alien I can lean and look from the locker when I am being stalked and if I make a noise the Alien is coming straight for me, which has happened thanks to the wife coming in and telling me about her day….

Software

A year of monthly updates!

So you either love the tiles or you hate them or maybe they have grown on you. For me no surprises but I liked it.

Was nice and simple, easy to navigate with Kinect. It certainly had its quirks though, how do I find the settings, how do I redeem a code, how the hell do I start a party !

Imo once you got used to how it all worked everything was just a few clicks away. A lot of features were missing though and the Party App needed an update. A few weeks later and 1000 moans and we get an update to the party app and dash. And soon enough we are getting monthly updates. The preview programme is started for people to become Beta Testers and test the new features for the following month. A year on and I don’t think I could ask for anything more for my Xbox One except maybe a few features like Music Playback in background. I don’t think I can think of anything else. It does everything I want. I can stream from my NAS via Media Player or Plex. I can share my clips to Youtube with a few clicks or share to Twitter if I wanted. We have an Activity Feed to share clips & achievement’s or arrange gaming sessions.

It’s all starting to make sense how the X1 was designed and was designed to be a Gaming Machine first but also to be the centre of your entertainment with the HDMI In, One Guide, TV Tuner Add On and Media Streaming.

Just to give you an idea on what has been updated and what features have been added since release just check out the below.

Hundreds of New Features Delivered in Xbox One’s First Year

And more will come early next year. Wonder what the console will look and feel like in another year and what the games will look like.

To summarise, for the money I have paid for this Console and Games I have had hundreds of hours of entertainment, be it playing games with AVF Brodudes, completing Single Player games, watching Streams, Youtube videos, listening to my music or watching my Media via Netflix or Streaming from my Media Library.

Money well spent!

So how about you guys?

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Absolutely love my XBox One.

Initially I had both consoles on pre-order and I fully intended on keeping both. As the release date came ever closer I just found myself being more excited over the prospect of the XB1 than I was about the PS4. The main reason for keeping my PS4 order was going to be Planetside 2, which still hasn't hit the console so I feel vindicated in cancelling.

Reason for going XB1 was mainly as I thought it was bringing new things to the table. With each new gen I look for new things, rather than just a more powerful version of the last consoles. I was fully on board with the initial announcement of the XB1 vision. All digital with DRM, family sharing and always online. People complained and the vision changed, so be it. The main thing I was excited by was 'the cloud'. MS dedicating 300,000 servers for XBox Live for dedicated servers, off console processing whatever the developers want to use them for. I could see some very smart people figuring out new and interesting ways to use these and wanted to see what could be done.

One year on and the power of the cloud has yet to be fully utilised. It's an area that I can see developing and it has been used a couple of times in Drivatar for Forza and TitanFall AI, but I think it's an area that still needs development.

The only complaint I've got over the games is that I've got too many of the damn things to play! Early doors and we were definitely getting the worse version in multiplats, but from E3 onwards a lot of the major players were announced at parity with the PS4. It's not happened in all games, but for the big ones MS seem to parachute in their crack engineers to the developer and maximise their usage of the hardware (ESRAM etc.). We've ended the year well IMO with strong exclusives that have all scored extremely well in reviews and with the biggest games (Destiny, GTA V, Assassins Creed Unity and Far Cry 4) reaching parity or actually performing better on the XB1 :eek: (if only very slightly).

Hardware and software updates have been spot on for me. I don't seem to have had the problem adjusting to the controller that you did Tones. It felt great to me right off the bat. I've got a Day 1 controller and TitanFall controller and both are brilliant.

I'm now trying to think of some negatives so this doesn't come off as a piece by a fanboy :p and I'm honestly struggling. I've had occasions where my console hasn't auto-updated even though it's been set to standby and there was the time I bought Destiny whilst on holiday through SmartGlass and came home to expect it to be installed and it was waiting in my 'ready to install' section (it was still a week before release though thankfully).

I was disappointed when the dropped the Kinect as it meant it'll be used less by developers and voice recognition has by and large worked for me (I'd say it recognises what I say 80-90% of the time). It just seems that it doesn't recognise me when I'm demonstrating the console to friends. I'm there thinking 'come on XBox don't let me down here' and then it does and I have to repeat the same phrase several times before it works. whenever I'm on my own it works first time every time :facepalm:

For the first year I'd say it's been a success. Whilst not having the sales success of the PS4 I think they've sold enough that we'll get decent support from third party developers and with Phil 'can do no wrong, walk on water' Spencer I think we've got the right person in charge of XBox to take it forward and develop into a truly excellent gaming platform. I can't wait for next year to see what cloud benefits we'll get in game (ie Crackdown) and what benefits we'll get from DX12. It's a good time to be an XBox gamer :D

reecie

Personally I would have been happy with the digital sharing and particularly the disk just as a delivery medium in the original proposal. Ironically it would seem that a lot of us (me included) are going mainly digital. A couple of my Xbox playing mates (all on 360) got XB1 at launch. Over the past year via various deals, price cuts and games appearing I now have a full crew on XB1. TF is probably the standout game for me with FH2 second so far out of my more limited list. All the updates MS have regularly rolled in have been good functional releases that have improved the experience a lot. To the point where I am starting to wonder what more they actually can add. During the WC I had my stb running through my XB1 that again in functionality terms was pretty decent. Hopefully the 1080p bollox will die down more and the XB1 continue to improve so that game pretty much have parity across the platforms. Overall I still think xbox gives me the better experience I want and like. The future is green....

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
It is interesting to see how both consoles started and where they have got to a year after release. Given that I own both the XB1 and PS4 I would find this impossible to discuss without referencing the other console and that is how I approached my reply in the PS4 section as well (sorry for the caveat, but I know some people can get upset if the 'other' console is mentioned).

At launch, I very much felt that the PS4 had the upper hand, where as for me the Xbox One was a bit of a mess in some respects. A lot of functionality (one guide, game streaming etc.) was missing and it seemed a way behind the PS4 in terms of games performance. For me the games line up at launch was marginally better than that of the PS4 (mainly down for Forza 5) but there wasn't a great deal in it.

Console wise the PS4 (whilst far from being the finished article) felt like a more launch ready product and yes it had issues with PSN (which for me is still not as robust as Xbox Live), but as a device it felt solid, fast and something ready to game on.

The XB1 felt like there were chunks missing and it was like the infrastructure was there to do much more and for it to be this all singing, all dancing media box...but there was little jam in the sandwich holding it all together.

As the year has progressed however, the XB1 has become the console it should have been at launch. I use it all the time for netflix, amazon, you tube, blu ray etc. and it's also got a good games line up with the likes of FM5, FH2, TMCC, Titanfall etc. The UI makes sense now and I have my regularly used tiles on the home screen and it just works. For me, both consoles are very strong and I would hate to be without either now.

I suppose if I was to illustrated numerically how each console started and where it is now then my view would be :-

Then
Xbox One - 7/10
PS4 - 7.5/10

Now
Xbox One - 8.5/10
PS4 - 8.5/10

I really would find it hard to separate them and I genuinely do use both on a regular basis. PS4 has had some good improvements, but for me the Xbox One has improved even further.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
It was not an issue with the controller but more it was just different and being so used to the 360 one it just felt weird but soon enough it felt perfect. Took a few hours but now I can't go back especially with those triggers.

I did not go into the Cloud side of things because I was already rambling on but its good you pointed out the Drivatars and Titanfall AI. I know the TF AI get's mocked but for me it adds to the game and gives everyone a chance to feel like they can add to a round with other gamers.
The Drivatars are next gen, load up FH2 and start driving across the country side and out of nowhere your fellow brovatars start racing against you or cutting across a field.
Think it summed it up perfectly when I was streaming it at US launch and people were asking if I was racing online because of all the cars and how they were driving like real people.

I could not think of any negatives really apart from the constant comparisons and put downs on the machine, not like I care its just a game console but it gets a bad rap imo and its a cracking console.
I have had it a few times where it does not auto update but a few clicks and its doing it, also maybe once where I have not been able to get online and I think that is about it. So in the big scheme of things I think that's not bad to be honest.
I am sure other people have negatives but for me its probably the best console I have owned just for pure entertainment and how much gaming I have done on it.
At the end of the 360 I was a bit bored with it to be honest and rarely played it. Now I am trying to get an hour here or there, early morning or late into the night.

kav

Distinguished Member
I feel broadly similar to others. For me MS have nailed the feel of the interface and the way you can navigate the console feels like the most "next gen" of the big three (ie there is a genuine leap from 360 to X1 in how you interact with your console). That has stuck out for me when navigating the WiiU and PS4.

The only device I am obsessed about what's under the hood is my PC, as I built and maintain it - for consoles, I just want them to work and play games I enjoy. For that reason I've never been hung up on the power difference between the consoles, I will just gravitate towards the one I'm able to have the most fun on at any point in time. This past year, I'd estimate my gaming time as roughly 40% PC, 40% X1 and 20% PS4, which gives a reasonable indication of which machines had the most games I liked. No doubt that will vary in the years to come with the peaks and troughs in releases, but one thing's for sure: even owning only one console, there are already more than enough games to keep even the most hardcore fans happy.

Having moved back to PC gaming a few years ago once the 360 releases started to dry up, I was a full convert to digital by the time the X1 arrived, so it was a no-brainer for me to go digital for most of my games. Thanks to cheap credit and region-trickery, I've had quite a few new release AAA games for around the £30 mark, which for a console is pretty damn good. Deals are thinner on the ground on the other side and while it hasn't affected me, I've noticed some of the recent X1 converts mention that the availability of lower-priced games is a factor in their decision to change.

While the controller took a bit of getting used to due to the different way you need to press the bumper buttons, it is undoubtedly an improvement on the 360, and I will always maintain that offset sticks allow a far more natural way of using a controller. The DS4 on the PS4 is definitely the best controller Sony have created, and while easy to use, is still hampered in longer sessions. Some disagree with me on this but you only need to read some Driveclub threads to see people complaining about thumb strain after long sessions to see that it's true. I can safely say I've not had any RSI-related pain from using the X1 controller, even after marathon sessions. The build quality of my release day controller is fine, despite hundreds of hours of use, and that battery life is unsurpassed on any console, with a minimum of 25 hours using the standard P&C kit.

I think I'm in a minority but I couldn't care less what my PS4 or X1 look like. They are on a shelf, out of sight, so their aesthetics are irrelevant to me. The PS4 is definitely a nicer design IMO, but I doubt I've spent more than 60 seconds over the last 12 months thinking about this aspect of the consoles. For me the key is how the build impacts the noise and heat of the console, and here I have found the X1 significantly quieter and cooler than the PS4 - the latter reaches 360-levels of roaring when it gets going, while the separate PSU and huge fan means I've never once been disturbed by my X1 while gaming. To me that's far more important than what the box looks like.

I doubt firmware is used by anyone as a selling point when bigging up their console, but I do think MS have done an exceptional job this last 12 months with their updates, which have turned the X1 from a functional but awkward device with limited media capabilities into a slick, easily navigable interface which does pretty much everything I would want a console to be able to do. I might not be the best person to judge this though as I mainly use my consoles for gaming and anything else is just a bonus.

I'm pretty happy with the games I've had to play this year - Titanfall and FH2 are particular standouts, and more recently I am having a blast on Sunset Overdrive and Halo TMCC. My main concern for the future is MS maintaining momentum not just on their bankable games like Halo and Forza, but on pushing the boundaries a bit by risking some new IP. Thanks to their pedigree stretching back to the original PS, Sony remain in the driving seat when it comes to this, particularly at the tail end of the life cycle. To recover from their disastrous start to this gen, MS need to show they are as committed as Sony to taking risks with new games, otherwise I can see myself heading the way I did with the 360 and losing interest in the X1 after 4-5 years.

For me the period around 2007-08 (Halo 3, COD4, Bioshock, Fallout 3, The Orange Box, Crackdown, Gears of War, COD World at War, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Bully, GTA IV, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead etc) was probably the golden age of the last gen, and IMO the first year of the X1 hasn't fallen far short, so the future is looking very very bright. All I'm missing at the moment is a good RPG to lose a few months of my life to, and I'll be happy. Though I'll probably buy that on PC anyway... :p

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
As the year has progressed however, the XB1 has become the console it should have been at launch. I use it all the time for netflix, amazon, you tube, blu ray etc. and it's also got a good games line up with the likes of FM5, FH2, TMCC, Titanfall etc. The UI makes sense now and I have my regularly used tiles on the home screen and it just works. For me, both consoles are very strong and I would hate to be without either now.

Now

Xbox One - 8.5/10
PS4 - 8.5/10
You've listed some of the things that you use the X1 for, rather than the PS4 - what about things you use the PS4 for, that makes the overall score equal?

kav

Distinguished Member
You've listed some of the things that you use the X1 for, rather than the PS4 - what about things you use the PS4 for, that makes the overall score equal?

@CAS FAN is a big fan of Driveclub and Destiny on PS4, he's mentioned a few times they're some of his favourite games this year. :)

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Agree about the hardware @kav, I may be slightly weird in that I quite like the retro chunky look of the XB1, but having a bigger box, with an external PSU was a great decision by MS IMO. Mine is whisper quiet. I literally can't tell the difference between it on and off and when I first turn the console on the TV sound isn't on as I use a soundbar and turn that off when gaming ('cause I always use a headset). My PSU does have a very slight whine on it, but you can only hear it if you're messing around with stuff at the back of the TV.

weaponx031277

For me im like a few other who own an X1 and a PS4 and i personally find the X1 very dissapointing so far....

Dashboard seems to be slow and unresponsive. Every time i try to Snap something it takes an age to load. Also find that when i try to see friends or boot the acheivement page up it won't work or says there is a fault. Pinning something to the dashboard rarely seems to work and trying to find thing in the shop is a nightmare. On the plus side though at least they've sorted the media playing out to a very good standard.

Kinect 2.0 well the less said about that the better

The exclusive games bar Titanfall haven't interested me one bit so far. Titanfall was an awesome game
though. The free X1 gold games have been pretty poor as well.

All in all not great and the telling fact is im on the 360 more than the X1. After the Halo fiasco i came very close to selling my X1 and tbh theres not alot on it still thats keeping my interest.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
For me im like a few other who own an X1 and a PS4 and i personally find the X1 very dissapointing so far....

Dashboard seems to be slow and unresponsive. Every time i try to Snap something it takes an age to load. Also find that when i try to see friends or boot the acheivement page up it won't work or says there is a fault. Pinning something to the dashboard rarely seems to work and trying to find thing in the shop is a nightmare. On the plus side though at least they've sorted the media playing out to a very good standard.

Kinect 2.0 well the less said about that the better

The exclusive games bar Titanfall haven't interested me one bit so far. Titanfall was an awesome game
though. The free X1 gold games have been pretty poor as well.

All in all not great and the telling fact is im on the 360 more than the X1. After the Halo fiasco i came very close to selling my X1 and tbh theres not alot on it still thats keeping my interest.

Fair enough on your moans and everyone is different, personally I have not had an issue with the dash or pins. Always seems to work for me and same with snapping. Have you tried a hard reboot and clearing the cache to see if that helps. If there are no games that take your fancy then not much the X1 can do to be honest. I have enjoyed some of the Free Games but again that is personal preference. One thing I will point out though is with what you mention about the Store ?
Have you used it recently as there was an update a while back which has made it very user friendly and easy to navigate.

And I would not call Halo MCC a fiasco but that's my opinion. It will get fixed but I know from my experience I have not had any bugs or issues and been able to get online games fine. I know it is causing issues for some people though.

weaponx031277

Fair enough on your moans and everyone is different, personally I have not had an issue with the dash or pins. Always seems to work for me and same with snapping. Have you tried a hard reboot and clearing the cache to see if that helps. If there are no games that take your fancy then not much the X1 can do to be honest. I have enjoyed some of the Free Games but again that is personal preference. One thing I will point out though is with what you mention about the Store ?
Have you used it recently as there was an update a while back which has made it very user friendly and easy to navigate.

And I would not call Halo MCC a fiasco but that's my opinion. It will get fixed but I know from my experience I have not had any bugs or issues and been able to get online games fine. I know it is causing issues for some people though.

To be fair the X1 will probably sort itself out eventually. Im guessing despite the issues in the run up to its launch i was expecting big things of it expecially after the 360. It will be interesting to have this conversation after another year.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Dashboard seems to be slow and unresponsive. Every time i try to Snap something it takes an age to load. Also find that when i try to see friends or boot the acheivement page up it won't work or says there is a fault. Pinning something to the dashboard rarely seems to work and trying to find thing in the shop is a nightmare.
That's a lot of issues that I'm not suffering - perhaps a hard reset or something could help, or maybe exchange it (your 1 year may be up in a couple of days).

The exclusive games bar Titanfall haven't interested me one bit so far.
You must hate driving games then :)

iwb100

Distinguished Member
It is hands down the best console I have ever owned. And possibly the best piece of "electronic entertainment gear" I have ever owned. The machine has evolved in the first year to something that is truly quite exciting in my view. I've gotten bogged down with Destiny so haven't even touched some recent exclusives but plan to catch up over the Christmas holidays. Overall it is a fantastic machine that will only get better.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
It's not really about the PS4 this thread so I was only using it in the overall context. The things that make the PS4 equal for me are remote play (via the Vita and PSTV) and I also still find it a more stable machine in terms of the UI etc. I get quite a few crashes on the XB1 (it seems to be after a while of using quick start up the issues build up and then it just needs a full reboot), where as the PS4 just hasn't crashed in that way and the OS/UI seems more solid. I also like the internal PSU design as I have limited room behind my unit and therefore have the XB1 PSU sat on my AV unit, which isn't ideal.

For me they each do certain things better than the other. The bluetooth only connection of the PS4 does my head in as I can't use my harmony without spashing out on some dongle. Was the same with the PS3 and it's a shame that they haven't fixed that. Netflix etc. actually work really well on it, but i'm not going to use a separate remote or turn on a controller (which I then have to turn off to conserve battery life) just to navigate netflix. I like how the PS4 pads are rechargeable, but I dislike their battery life. I like how I can connect USB stuff to the rear and side of the XB1, where as with the PS4 I have wires coming out of the front if I wish to connect stuff.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Only had it a few months.

Think MS have nailed the updates and the testing is good for them at it saves paying wages and they get valuable feedback and the community get to see features a month in advance.

I've always thought Live to be a superior service over the PSN and that won't change this gen either by the looks of it.

Can't really comment on the games as I've not played anything on it yet. I do have Halo as it was the only exclusive I've really fancied on the One. Still yet to play it though as Destiny has me sucked right in.

Love that Plex has come so that would be my media covered.

Overall it's been a good year for the X1 with it getting good updates and those looking to get into it now are feeling the benefits of the price cuts and cracking deals. I ended up only paying £130 cash for mine with a bit of wheeling and dealing so can't complain at all.

Will pick up a kinect for the wife as she wants to do fitness in the new year.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
The things that make the PS4 equal for me are remote play (via the Vita and PSTV) and I also still find it a more stable machine in terms of the UI etc.

See this is where I think the X1 has it the right way round, Stream Media & TV to the tablet and you get to game on the big TV ;)

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
See this is where I think the X1 has it the right way round, Stream Media & TV to the tablet and you get to game on the big TV ;)
I don't to be honest as that is just meeting a need which is already fulfilled. If I want media on the small screen then I already have that via netflix, sky go, amazon etc. If the main TV is in use then bar disconnecting the XB1 and taking it to another room (or buying two consoles), then I can't game.

With the PS4 I just connect my PSTV to whichever TV in the house I want to game on and I can just continue playing there. It's a great system and if you hook it up with a homeplug there is very little latency indeed.

You can even take it with you (it's about the size of a packet of cigarettes and about twice as thin) and if your hotel, holiday home etc. has half decent internet then you can even game from there. Latency is a little higher, but it works well with some games (those that don't require twitch reactions).

Remote play is a big plus for the PS4 for me, but as i've said, the XB1 has some big pluses as well.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
With the PS4 I just connect my PSTV to whichever TV in the house I want to game on and I can just continue playing there. It's a great system and if you hook it up with a homeplug there is very little latency indeed.
That's the main feature I liked about the PS4. Not sure I need it, but I like it all the same.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I don't to be honest as that is just meeting a need which is already fulfilled. If I want media on the small screen then I already have that via netflix, sky go, amazon etc. If the main TV is in use then bar disconnecting the XB1 and taking it to another room (or buying two consoles), then I can't game.

You can even take it with you (it's about the size of a packet of cigarettes and about twice as thin) and if your hotel, holiday home etc. has half decent internet then you can even game from there. Latency is a little higher, but it works well with some games (those that don't require twitch reactions).

Remote play is a big plus for the PS4 for me, but as i've said, the XB1 has some big pluses as well.

If the main TV is in use you stream the program to the tablet via the X1 and game on the big TV. As Tones says that is the right way round. The TV tuner that you can buy is absolute genius. Your significant other can watch TV on their tablet and change the channel without affecting anything you are doing in game.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
If the main TV is in use you stream the program to the tablet via the X1 and game on the big TV. As Tones says that is the right way round. The TV tuner that you can buy is absolute genius. Your significant other can watch TV on their tablet and change the channel without affecting anything you are doing in game.
She can watch TV on her tablet now through sky go, iplayer, netflix, amazon etc. Why does she need to stream it from the xbox? Being able to access your games from any other room in the house with a TV, a hotel, friends or family members house, holiday home etc. is not possible with the Xbox offering. Putting the TV through the xbox is a nice convergence option (be it the add on tuner or your satellite/cable box), but it simply doesn't meet the need that remote play does via Vita or Playstation TV.

King Tones

Distinguished Member

I know its very different and is for Remote Play and works well especially the PSTV that is why I added the wink. Did not mean for it to turn into another debate. Or another thread where the PS4 is highly praised and does everything #4ThePlayers ;)

iwb100

Distinguished Member
She can watch TV on her tablet now through sky go, iplayer, netflix, amazon etc. Why does she need to stream it from the xbox? Being able to access your games from any other room in the house with a TV, a hotel, friends or family members house, holiday home etc. is not possible with the Xbox offering. Putting the TV through the xbox is a nice convergence option (be it the add on tuner or your satellite/cable box), but it simply doesn't meet the need that remote play does via Vita or Playstation TV.

Yes for a limited selection of channels that is true. But of course that uses bandwidth. Which isn't great you're trying to shoot things in Destiny for example. The X1 solution uses no bandwidth.

And you have the TV guide and can switch from show to show just like you would using a guide on the TV.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Yes for a limited selection of channels that is true. But of course that uses bandwidth. Which isn't great you're trying to shoot things in Destiny for example. The X1 solution uses no bandwidth.

And you have the TV guide and can switch from show to show just like you would using a guide on the TV.
To be honest streaming off sky go etc. uses very little bandwidth. My current connection (about 5 meg) does it just fine so when I get fibre on the 1st Dec, there should be adequate bandwidth for several people to stream stuff whilst gaming online.

I can see the point of it and it is a nice feature, but I was asked what I liked about the PS4 to rate it similarly to the XB1 after a year and remote play is one of the reasons for me.

Being able to just crash in bed and continue the game you were playing downstairs earlier (via the Vita) is great.

weaponx031277

That's a lot of issues that I'm not suffering - perhaps a hard reset or something could help, or maybe exchange it (your 1 year may be up in a couple of days).

You must hate driving games then :)

I really don't like driving games.

Oh yeah one other thing of praise for the X1 it is quiet!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li