1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox on PC monitor using TV-VGA converter

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by tonyoevans, Aug 31, 2004.

1. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    OK, the XBox and I have been banished into the study by my wife and I am currently using a small portable TV, I also have a 19inch monitor in there and would like to use that instead. I know the image quality may not be great just prefer using the bigger screen.

I have found certain TV-VGA converters on EBay and also the FlyTV Box Pro in maplin (enter A81BN in the search field on the top left) which is £70 which seems a little pricey.

Has anyone tried conecting to a monitor, I don't want to go down the XBox mod route etc.

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received an XGA from ConsolesAndGadgets.com for use with my XBox and DVD player. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but from the description, it seems to be just what I'm looking for. I'm not worried about audio, as I'm running that through my receiver.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'd just like to retract my recommendation of this XGA box. I've been messing with it for a couple hours, and it does abso-:censored:-lutely nothing. No picture, no signal, no nothing. I can get a PC signal, but no XBox or DVD.

4. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers for the heads up. Looks as though a combi TFT monitor with Video inputs is the way forward for me.

5. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes same here for me, monitor that has video inputs probably an LCD-TV. Wish their was CRT Monitors with video inputs :mad:

6. tonyoevans

tonyoevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Tell me about it, a CRT which could accept Video in would be great. I am limited by the size of our spare room which is tiny so guess an LCD would be better, but trying to find a suitable one is a nightmare.

I work near tottenham court road, and have popped out a few times at lunch to see if I can see anything but nothing stands out.

Seen any suitable models?

7. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, personally I use my Xbox hooked up to my Plasma, but saying that I have just bought a PS2 now that they are cheap, and I am running this via my external USB2 tv card, via the SVHS input to my 17" TFT - while PC quality is not 100% I would say its 90-95%, also if I want I can record whatever I am playing to mpeg2 or xvid ...

Just another option for you guys to think about ..

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    IMPORTANT! :eek:

If you want to conect your console to your monitor I recomend this box!

Im actually conecting my XBox to my monitor's RGB conection (analog) and I get a pretty sharp picture.

(my "monitor" is actualy an LCD TV/Monitor which has a component as well as an RGB and a DVi-D input. I use the DVi for my PC, Component for consoles and RGB for the XBox)

The way Im connecting it is to have the XBox HI-Def kit connected by a component cable to a box called "XSelect-D4" (bought in japan)

This box has several D4/component inputs which i use for my PS2, GC and XBox. It also has 2 or 3 RGB inputs and 1 output.

The XBox and GC both work through the RGB AS LONG AS THE GAME IS PROGRESSIVE!

ALL XBox games are, therefore XBox games always work.

(the XBox dash board however is NOT prgressive therefore it doesnt dissplay. once a game gets started it will change the picture to progresive and thats when u see the picture.)

Only some Game Cube games work and no PS2 games work. (again, with the GC dashboard, theres no pIcture untill the game gets underway. you can however get sound through an amp for example)

I recomend this box for any XBox/GC user who wants to connect their console to a PC monitor.

Remember, PAL Xboxes dont support progressive scan which is why it may not have worked for Azrikam.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xselect-d4_function.htm

check out this link to see it.
    If you want to buy it, youl have to find out how.
    Also it wasnt that cheap either!

I would be happy to get it for someone who wants it if they cant find out how to get it online!

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=2&products_id=3923

Try this store for online shopping of this product.

I would say that its definately worth a buy since you can conect so many things to one TV that only has 1 or 2 conections.
    Quality is also good with no visible loss of quality.

One last thing.

I noticed that you would all like an LCD monitor/TV that has every kind of conection.

Well I have one and to be honest, I found that a diplay panel has to be either a TV or a Monitor. It CANT excel at both therefore in my case I noticed that the picture quality coming through the component wasnt as good as the picture from the RGB and DVi conections.

A sacrifice has to be made.

Newer diplays may be different but i recomend that u buy an LCD TV for console games, and an LCD or CRT monitor for PC use.

9. donsangoni

donsangoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello there

i have just read the above reply regarding the xga box from console and gadgets i have myself just purchased one as my 28inch tv has just broken, having just bought a 17inch monitor i thought this would be a perfect way to replace rather than going to expense of buying a new tv - i have had the same problem so far that there is no input signal through composite cable connected to rcin, i just wanted to check if anyone has tried putting ps2 through s-cable input port and whether this has yeilded the same result, i dont want to give up in this yet but dont want to waiste my time further if this is simply a unusable product.