Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Xbox - Oh Dear, it's happening already...

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Dodgey, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my X-Box with some trepidation. I knew for sure that the Sony stable has a wealth of single player games and that X-Box has only a few. I bought X-box for the "Live" element.
    There are many people who say that the X-Box is just a PC packaged in green. They are right.

I went into my local Game store today, and I saw Roller Coaster Tycoon on sale for £39. I then thought to myself, "the last PC release was just an add-on with no graphic improvements and got a but of a slating for not adding to it enough, I wonder if they have just shoveled this onto X-Box?" - Yep. Looking at a couple of reviews on the web they have definately just chucked it straight onto X-Box with zero enhancements. In fact , by all accounts it is worse because TVs don't have the resolution that PC monitors have, so you can't make out important details.

Read reviews before purchasing anything. It saddens me that companies will lighten innocent punters of £39 like this. I guess a lot more of this is on the way....

2. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Serves you right for going to GAME doesn't it - you can get Rollercoaster Tycoon for £30 inc. delivery online - its the original game + added attractions and loopy landscapes - some people don't own PC's so its nice for them to be able to play the game. The graphics are fine on it - no one is forcing anyone to buy the game they are hardly swindling kids - surely its a good thing that the game is out - more choice for people - lots of games are PC games - the FPS genre was started on PC's - The Sims is a PC game with exactly the same issues so why aren't you commenting on that? PC games like command and conquer have been translated to consoles for years - so I fail to see what the point you are making is

3. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fifa have been doing this for years. The problem is an issue on all systems, not just the Xbox.

Everybody should always do their homework before buying their games.

4. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair, Game is the best place to buy a game if you're not sure about it. You'll pay a higher price, but the 10-day return policy means you can change it for something else if you don't like it.

Anyway, I don't think he actually bought it.

5. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never buy a game I don't like!

6. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I heartily endorse game for all your purchases (as I own shares in them) So can you buy all your software / hardware from them :)

Thanks

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I have bought games I don't like before, just simply because I thought I would like it.

That is where buying from a shop is handy. I usually buy games I am not too sure about from a store.

The last game I bought that I didn't like was Sega Soccer Slam, took that back for Beach Spikers, which I did like :)

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

I bet you did:eek: ;)

I always buy from gameplay cheaper than game & if i don't like it i can always take it back to game ect:rotfl:

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I usually buy from Gamestation, they are cheap for a high street store.

10. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't actually buy the game, but was highlighting my dissapointment that because the X-Box is basically a PC there are going to be a lot or straight ports without improvements. Roller Coaster Tycoon on the X-Box should have MUCH better graphics and sound than the several year old PC version. It's a cheek to push it onto what is basically the same platform several years later with no improvements for a retail price (I'm fully aware you can get games cheaper if you shop around).

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But by the logic of "the XBox is just a PC" (notice, I'm not agreeing with this :) ), then it would be just the opposite, wouldn't it? Instead of having to rebuild a game from scratch (or near enough), PC ports should be relatively easy. It's then up to the designers to decide whether or not they want to enhance the XBox version. A PC-XBox port should give the developers more time to polish than say a PC-PS2 port. But a lot of that comes down to marketing, deadlines, expected sales and all that other good stuff.

I remember when the XBox was first introduced, everyone said that the console would be flooded by shoddily ported bargain basement PC games. Well, that didn't happen.

In the end, I think it comes down to the developers and the consumers. If the developers want to do a shoddy port of a game, they can do it from any system to any other. It's up to consumers to find out about the games and steer clear of these shoddy ports.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Heehee, no they produced a whole load of shoddy "original" X-box games instead.
    :p

Sorry couldn't help that one!

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox is a computer that happens to be built on PC architecture. This has pro's and cons. The PS2 and GC all have CPU's, mainboards, memory, GPU's etc. They are all computers.

It just so happens that the Xbox rules.