1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Stellavision, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    My gaming is always on pc and it's frequency is up and down depending on my moods and workloads.
    I have been kind of attracted to the appeal of the Xbox after playing on friends, but I can hook up my pc to my plasma and surround setup so I have never had a real sense of a console hunger.
    However, now and again I think I fancy the benefits of console gaming.
    The thing is now, I see XBox as being in an inbetween point in that it is 3 or 4 years old and still popular, but a newer version may soon be on the horizon.
    I can't help thinking that I may be better waiting for the XBox 2 to be released, whenever that may be.
    What do you think guys, is xbox worth the purchase now or will it be out of date soon?

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you're going to play xbox live then I think it's worth it.
    You can play online games and be pretty sure that you're not playing with someone that's hacked the game to give them invincibility or something.

If you know someone in the US then get them to buy you one and send it over - you'll have to import your games from the states (which is cheaper anyway!) - and it'll give you a progressive output to your plasma (UK xbox's can't output a progessive signal).

ZedZed!

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you get a UK box and mod it, youll get progressive scan along with a load of other stuff that the xbox 2 may not be able to do.
    one thing im over the moon with about my xbox is the fact itll play divx movies and now is a big part of my main entertainment system. (gaming,emulation,dvd's,divX,XVID)
    but you do have to mod it but well worth it.
    i thought there was a fair bit of cheating going on online? with mods and stuff?

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What can you do with the emulation? Can it emulate other consoles?

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I have the same dilema, but no intention of importing games or going online yet.

I'll try to get a crystal xbox 'cos it looks good, or wait for a good offer to materialise via Game or something

6. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as i know it can do snes,nes,Mega Drive,Master system,mame etc.
    dont think it can go as far as psx though
    you can fit alot of games onto an upgraded hard drive too!
    :)

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    Personally I prefer the PC to a Console for online gaming as there's more diversity and the mouse & keyboard thing are the best control system IMO. On the other hand X-Boxes are dirt cheap now so why not get one if you've got a few quid kicking about!

There's some reasonable games on the XBox these days as well and they seem to be getting more popular, especially in the UK.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    You can pick up a gamecube from Index for £40. That is pretty good.

I'd get an xbox if you play online, its the best console out there in this generation by miles mate. Any new generation of consoles won't be out here for at least 18 months as well.

Why miss out on so many AAA titles??

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I'm not interested in a game cube.
    However, I'm intrigued by the emulation thing which I was totally unaware of.
    I am asuming that games are available on roms in a similar way to pc emulators, but how do you transfer them to the Xbox? I suppose this could easily warrant a new thread but i wouldn't mind a brief explanation on the process involved in modding an Xbox. Can you mod it to boot off hard drive and to an emulation selection screen or something like that?

10. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it boots from its hard drive anyway, but with a MS shiny frontend, all the mod allows you to do is run unsigned code on the xbox, so it will play movies from other regions and stuff that they didnt want you to run on it from stock.
    try www.xbox-scene.com for some tutorials on whats involved in modding an xbox or try www.premodded.com/catalog/ if you wanted to buy it already done for you.
    as for getting the roms on the xbox, id probably recommend you getting a larger hard drive as you only have 8 - 10 GB in there to start with, and that could run out pretty quick if you want to run mame etc. but you can either FTP into your xbox and install them that way or get them on installation cd's/dvd's.

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Fasinating links, thanks.

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There are a huge number of emulators available for the xbox. I have N64 , mega drives snes, nes, mame, pc engine. You name it. In fact pretty much anything you can run on a pc, afterall they share the same architecture.

Its easily the best console out there. But we have had this conversation before. Xbox two is two years away. Xbox are cheap anyway so what you got to loose ? Plus Halo 2 looks awesome....

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    It is definitely worth getting an xbox and a modded one at that, as the above have said really there is just so much more you can do with it especially if you have a 120gb hard drive installed as well.
    I also have a few emulators on mine that are just installed on the hard drive so select them from the main menu whenever i want to play them.

14. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't like xbox and i don't recommend it, get a PS2 instead, or PSX if you can wait, u can get it now somewhere online though as it is already released :thumbsup:

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I beleive the Xbox to be far more superior to the playstation and will not even think about entertaining a Sony console.

16. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731

Its not a question of beliefs, its a fact!. :thumbsup:

17. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Well I own all the consoles and I believe they are all equally matched, each have their advantages and dis-advantages.

However if you prefer the xbox over the others I think you have made a good choice ( i couldnt decide so i had to get all )

If you have a modded xbox (which I do not have .now anyway. or condone) There are absolutly loads of stuff you can do with it. Change wallpaper, practicly every emulator you can run on the pc you can run on it using the same roms that you use on the pc, shove mp3 in it instead of normal music that takes more space. You dont have to run the emulators with roms from the hdd you can run them from the disc if you prefer.

I would say that the xbox is an overall console, Movies, music and obviously games. The games are quite expansive and you will get quite a few pc-xbox conversions on there inc. Call of duty and Battlefield games in the next couple of months.

It has a built in ethernet card to plug it up to your internet connection, without live you can play systemlink games like halo, PGR2 and links 2004 through a program called http://www.xbconnect.com/ With live ( if you get a modded one you'll have to turn the chip off some how I had a switch on the front ) there are quite a host of games with online play and live content but you need a credit card to make an account with them which I have made a complaint about to them cos I dont have a credit card and cant get live for that reason they just brushed me off, which is why I was forced to use a system link program.

Hope this has been of some help, it is a good idea to get a console of some kind if you want to get into them the xbox is quite a good choice, especially with the line up of games coming out this year too.....

tris

18. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    dont know if im allowed to link to the site i mentioned above i think its legal as its only system linking consoles over a wider area. If not please edit it out of my post.

thanks

tris

19. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nero, i agree with you about MS being poor for not accepting debit cards etc. i too got brushed off by them about it.
    but id like a little help with xbconnect, ive tried it befroe but i coul never get it to work right, do i have to turn my mod off when i want to use it?
    as ive always had my mod running when ive tried in the past
    :)

20. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399

Ive not tried it with a modded machine, mine went in the bin a while ago now.
    I know you have to turn it off to use xbox live but I wouldnt have thought so with xbconnect as its only system linking.

I have my xbox going through a simple ethernet card in my pc and I think I had to tell xbconnect to find it, then I found a game and away i went.

They mainly play halo on there, but now and again Ihave found a links and a PGR2 game to play its great fun. The only problem is you cant download content for your games, which is a shame, I think people who either cant afford or in our case dont have a bleeding credit card to get live with should be able to buy the extra content on a disc in a shop. That way we dont miss out just because of some prat suggesting to only use credit cards. I emailed microsoft and they basicly said that they are not even considering any other payment methods as the credit card payment system is working effectivly for most people. I was gonna email 'em back again and have even more of a moan as I think thats very close to being discriminating to less fortunate people like me and yourdself who havent got and in my case cant get a credit card, personally i woulkdnt really want one.

It just takes the :censored: :censored: really I think that every one should have equal oppertunity, wheres our equal rights microsoft?!?!?!? We want LIVE! too we dont have a credit card why cant we pay by postal order, giro that you send us once a year??? direct debit once a year even??? Its only £40 once a year why not let us pay which ever way we can? surly you can afford to send out a few thousand giros once a year it aint exactly gonna break your bank microsoft. Start being fair and let other people have a chance to purchase what you are trying to sell

EDIT: not sure if im allowed to say all this either, should be able to moan due to freedom of speech please delete if im not.

tris

21. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    amen to that mate, im not gonna go out and sign up to gt a credit card just for live. its not worth that much to me, ill stick to trying out these 'other' ways. to say microsoft is one of the biggest companies in the world is a bit of a farse when they cant accept payment by other means to a credit card. even at work that only employs 8 people, we can accept and check debit cards.
    although i think i got a bit of a better answer mate, i sent them an email asking if they are looking into it, and i got a reply saying that they were, but that was probably nothing to take any notice of though

22. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You talked me into it, I've just joined the Xbox club.
    A local shop sell them second hand for £80 and I managed to get £45 on a trade in for some unwanted pc games, so it only cost me £35. :thumbsup:
    Got myself MOH Rising Sun to get me going, I need to start looking what the hot games are to get at the moment.

23. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    result!
    have a look round on the forum for what games to get, theres always a "what game is best" thread going.
    im currently playing ninja gaiden(great challenge), links 2004(good golf game), and project gotham racing 2.

24. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Nooo! Get rid and buy Halo instead. Games like that may give you an disproportiantely poor view of the quality of games on the Xbox.

25. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Gotta get MOH Frontline to go with rising sun they are classic's

Try a little list of games like: (catered for most tastes, I have most tastes so I can tell some goodens)

Halo (sorry just had to be first on the list)

Project Gotham Racing 2 (one as well)

Need for Speed underground

Ninja Gaiden (although the camera angles dont help somtimes)

Prince of persia (good makeover of the classic)

Panzer Dragoon Orta (somthing a little different from the average shoot 'em up, not bad and great vizually)

Fifa 2004 (nuff said)

Links 2004 (think this is better than tiger woods)

Soul Calibur 2

OddWorld: munches odessy (everyones gotta play through this at least once)

The splinter cell games

Unreal 2

Midway arcade treasures (must have to bring back all those memory's Smash Tv, Gauntlet, Super Sprint, Paper boy yes paper boy what a corker) You want the second one of these when it comes out too whic includes the original Mortal Kombat games 1, 2 and 3 I think theres over 20 games on them both I believe.

Conflict desert storm 1 and 2 for some budget team war action

then

Full spectrum Warrior for premium

A dazzle of Star wars KOTOR tickle your fancy for a bit of jedi building rpg

Or

how about some Morrowind (which I picked up brand new for a fiver at whsmith i think there having one of there clearouts again) although i suess you may have done that on the pc

Driv3r

Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Double Pack)

Evil Dead: A Fistful Of Boomstick (aint too bad about 65 out of 100 IMHO)

Rallisport Challenge 2

Top Spin

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Hitman: Contracts

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon

Tony Hawk's Underground

Hope this broadens your horizens, check out play.com for a bit of info on them. Let us know how you get on.

tris

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes Halo must be the starting point. Best game so far on the xbox.

27. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I played Halo on the PC and loved it, but I don't see much point in buying it and playing all over again on Xbox. I am really looking forward to Halo 2, though.
    I've not yet finished Splinter Cell on pc, I may wait till I have and then get Pandora tomorrow for Xbox, although I'm not to sure how I will get on after being used to keboard and mouse for many years.
    Nice list guys, keep 'em coming.

28. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with a bit of patience and time youll get the hang of the analogue sticks, as for driv3r, steer well clear, its the biggest pile of turd to fly onto the shelves for months.
    its just been over-hyped and not finished.
    if your after some street violence then get grand theft auto instead, much better.

29. adrian3221

adrian3221

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What kind of debit card do you have? I've signed upto Xbox Live fine with my Visa debit card.

30. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Barrie,

Leave him alone. He's young and easily swayed by hype and adverts. Let him learn by himself :)

Only joking.

I would get a Xbox if I were you. There are plenty of great games out already and plenty coming out this year and next. Enough to justify the £100 + mod & HD outlay. ...Fable, Halo2, BC etc etc..

I had to wait for about a 18 months until the xbox really started to get going. Can't remember when the Xbos is out but I would have thought it wouln't be until late 05/ or 06 + 18 months....

Jus.