1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox novice please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ADC, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Evening all. Got an xbox for christmas and i need a bit of help.
    Firstly which is the best video connection between scart(not RGB enabled) or via S-video.
    Secondly Can XBOX live be purchased seperately or does it have to be bought bundled with a game. If it can be bought seperately how much does it cost. I have halo 2 unopened at home, should i take it back and get the halo2 that has 12 months subscription included.
    Cheers Andy.
    P.S Anyone know of the release date of Forza Motor sport? :smashin:

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Forza comes out on the 29th April 2005. Assuming no delays....

I cant see any point in buying live without a game so I presume it comes with. What you may mean is the method of payment, any live enabled game will allow you to set up a Live account and log in. If the subscription included with Halo 2 is cheaper than subscription would otherwise be then there is a reason to return and get the 12month... edition.

Finally the best quality would probably come via SVIDEO, the Scart cable carries Svideo and Composite so a fully wired cable would carry Svideo in your setup. However as there are more cables inside the scart, there is more interferance and so an svideo cable would be better.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Hello, mate, welcome to the wonderful world of Xbox :D

First off, the best connection you can buy off the shelf is the Official Advanced Scart lead: Gameplay link. I've never personally tried an S-Video connection, but I've been told it is inferior to the fully wired Scart connection provided by the advanced scart.

Second, you can buy Live in loads of different ways, but you'll find it cheapest if you buy it with a game. Gamestation are currently doing a "buy a Live enabled game get the Starter Pack for £20" offer, and most other High Street shops do a Halo 2 with 12 months Live for £60. There are other kits too, have a look here: Amazon Xbox Online Games and do searches for "live starter" or "live bundle" and you'll see whats on offer.

If you buy 12 months subs direct from Microsoft, it costs £40 without a communicator (headset thing to talk to other people) or £5 a month. You can see it works out far better to buy a Starter Kit from Amazon or similar which is £32 with a communicator.

Plus look out for some games which have a free 2 month Live trial offer included if you just want to try it out. You need a Visa/Mastercard to activate the account whichever way. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Morning,

Well, some good info here.

Yep, without RGB, scart will probably just carry composite, which is the worst connection, S-video will be better. So go for the s-video connector.

Re: Live, yep, you're likely to get hooked.
    In the Halo2 pack you have there's a good chance you'll a freel 2 month trial scratch and sniff card. so you could use that, although without the headset you'll only have half the fun as you'll only be able to swear at yourself.

Good call by Lorenzini, get the subscription and headset with a game, but rather than return Halo2, why not consider investing in another live game pack if they do them. Ghost Recon2 seems flavour of the month at the mo.

oh, and start thinking up your gamertag now. :)

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Doh, sorry. Just noticed not RGB enabled, so yes, the S-Video is the best way to go. :suicide:

6. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the help so far.
    Just one more question (at the moment).
    Who are best broadband providers to go with xbox live.
    I am currently with AOL but the 12 month contract is up in January so i am free to go elsewhere from then.
    Other providers are offering free modems and routers (BT) but they have down load limits. Are these download limits affected by playing xbox live?
    Or should i just stay with AOL (no download limits) and buy the required router.
    I have read some very negative comments about AOL & xbox live.
    Any suggestions are more than welcome :confused:

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AOL in my experience are not great... They make everything so clunky and dont allow you to just get the web connection (you need to use the stupid browser which takes up 50% CPU time or something ridiculous).

You can buy routers online that include a modem for £25 upwards, take a look on Ebuyer.com

ISP wise, I am currently on Bulldog and I pay £25 a month for 2mbit download and 400kbit upload. Although ive been with them about a year and I dont think they do this any more.... There are plenty of unlimited connections around though, take a look at adslguide.org if you are interested.

8. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    yes get rid of AOL there really are very poor and you will have a nightmare trying to connect to xbox live through AOL - it can be done but is very messy.
    Check out ADSLguide for lots of good advice and info. I'm with Zen internet who are superb but slightly pricey. Be careful of signing up to a ADSL company who has download limits alot of the cheap ones do this - theres no point in having broadband if you cant download much.
    Get a router if you can as its the easy way of connecting your pc and xbox so they can go online.

9. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    agree that it can b a hassleb ut once u sort it out its a easy as opening ur front door. I dont use the aol software to connect to aol no more, dont even use the dailer. if u hve the fish modem u can always use the built in dailer to connect to aol. once u dont that all u hve to do is enable the connection to share, this only has to be done once.