Xbox not showing video & music folders from NAS.

djstu_d

Hey.

Sorry this is a bit long and if it's in the wrong section (should be in the computer forums maybe ???) let me know and i'll move it....

I've got a linkstation NAS with a load of movies and music on it, which i want to play on my xbox.

Up until last night, i had seperate folders for these outside of the shared folder (when i first set up the nas, i didn't realise i would only be able to see movies and play music from the shared folder.)

So up until now, if i wanted to watch/listen to something on the xbox, i'd just copy what ever i wanted into the shared folder and all was good.

Last night i figured out how to move all my music & movies into the shared drive, so i've done this and now i can only see movies or music, that are not in seperate forlders.

So 99% of my media, i just can't see !!

Before i moved everything over, if i dropped a movie within a folder, into the share folder on the drive, i could navigate to it via the video library. Infact i can still see two folders (with films inside) that i copied over earlier in the week.

But now i've got 40 or so movies and about 5 music files i can see, the rest i just can't access.

For info, i can see all my folders/files that are now in the shared drive, on my laptop and everything plays fine.....

Any ideas what to do ???

Again, sorry for the long post and i hope it makes sense !!

Cheers.

Stu

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Have you rescanned your NAS or rebuilt the directory ?
I found with my NAS and 360 that if I added 1 new file it picked it up straight away, when I copied across quite a few files it took a while to appear on the 360. It seems the 360 is not very quick at picking up the folder changes.
On my WD NAS I could just access the Twonky Media Settings and run a refresh of the drive which took a few minutes but then all files appeared ok on my 360.

When I first set mine up and transferred all files to the relevant shared folder it took a few hours before everything appeared on the 360 after the initial transfer of files. This was about 300gb though.

niall campbell

Novice Member
when you click on Shared Video you should see all your films

if not you have put the folder inside another folder and this is why you cant see your films

the best way to do this is in your PC and when you click on the folder just drag and drop the largest file across to the Shared Video folder

the folder may have 3 or 4 files inside it e.g. folder art

I hope this makes sense. I did the exact same thing !!

when you download a film it comes in a folder . You have to take out the largest file in that folder and drop it in Shared Video folder

ALSO go to Game Marketplace in Xbox , then Titles A to Z , go to O , and download Optional Media Update

djstu_d

Hey, thanks for the replies !!!

Tones - i've had a look on the nas settings and there is no refresh disc option i'm afraid. I've had a good look at all the file settings and nothing is out of the ordinary.

like you, if i drop one or two folders over at a time, they show up. But after doing my whole vid and music collection, they just don't show (only files that are not in sep folders...)

i'm gonna leave my xbox and nas on for an hour or so, to see if that does anything.

niall - as above really, i know i can prob move all my movies out of there folders and into the 'root' as it were, but that'll take ages and ruin my set up (which took me ages to do in the first place).

for info, my folder set up is... shared-movies-moviefolder-movie.avi

as i've already said, the xbox will show all folders i've moved one by one, but not the folders i'm moved in a big chunck.

ohh, and i did dl the media update, but that hasn't helped i'm afraid.

ahhhh well, thanks again for your suggestions, but i think i'm just gonna give up trying to use the xbox for media and get a dedicated player. So over to the media player section i go.....

ta muchly.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Hey, thanks for the replies !!!

Tones - i've had a look on the nas settings and there is no refresh disc option i'm afraid. I've had a good look at all the file settings and nothing is out of the ordinary.

like you, if i drop one or two folders over at a time, they show up. But after doing my whole vid and music collection, they just don't show (only files that are not in sep folders...)

i'm gonna leave my xbox and nas on for an hour or so, to see if that does anything.

ahhhh well, thanks again for your suggestions, but i think i'm just gonna give up trying to use the xbox for media and get a dedicated player. So over to the media player section i go.....

ta muchly.

The 360 worked fine for me with a USB HDD but the NAS it did not work all the time but I think it was down to the 360 and not the NAS.
I ended up setting up just 2 folders under the Shared Video's folder, TV Shows & Movies and within the Movie Folder was just the Movie Files and no sub folders and the TV Shows one had TV Subfolder and all the TV Files within that Sub Folder. I found if it had any more sub folders than that the Xbox would not find them.
Also I used to keep going in and out of the Video Folder view on the xbox to see if it would refresh better as like you it appeared fine from PC but not on the 360. This seemed to pick up single files nice and easy but if I dropped in a new Sub Folder like a whole new TV Series with 60 episodes in it took a while to appear but it did always appear.

The 360 is good but quite basic so I ended up going to the Media Player route and opted for a Apple TV which I ended up Jailbreaking and adding XBMC to it.

If your looking the Media Player route then the new WD Live TV looks pretty good and can be had for £90 and plays back pretty much anything you can throw at it. Works with NAS and USB HDD and comes with some Apps like Youtube and Facebook.

You want this section - Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums.com - UK Online

Hope that helps

djstu_d

Hey.

Yep, i think the amount of files/folders has sent the xbox into a hissy fit....so arse to it....

i've been umming and arring about a media player for a while now (been hanging around the media player forum) so think i'll just have to bite the bullet and spend some money.

thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom