• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

XBox not reading HP external HD

celinelol

Standard Member
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help. Our XBox 360 isn't recognizing our HP External HD. We had Western Digital before and never had any problems but for some reason I can't connect the HP. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

DJSigma

Banned
Hook it up to your PC. Open Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click on the icon for the removable hard drive and choose Properties and a new window will open. The file system can be seen under the General tab. If it's anything other than FAT32, that's your problem and you'll need to format the drive to FAT32, so make sure you backup the contents of the drive first if you end up having to do that.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
there is an application that you can download off the Net that i know off (probably quite a few but i know this one works) that will allow you to reformat an external HD of up to 500g to FAT32 i can pm you the name if you require as Windows doesn't allow you to do it very easily as far as i know. I cetainly was struggling and this app was almost a one click reformat.

PROJECT

Banned
Microsft have recently updated to stop 3rd person partys external memory units being used as hdd and memory card. if that is what u where using it for

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Microsft have recently updated to stop 3rd person partys external memory units being used as hdd and memory card. if that is what u where using it for
Its not a memory unit its an external USB HDD

tokwitney

Established Member
I have a Seagate 1TB external HD & my 360 cant read it either,its formatted to NTFS,if i reformat it to run FAT32 (after backing everything up of course) will my 360 recognise it then?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I have a Seagate 1TB external HD & my 360 cant read it either,its formatted to NTFS,if i reformat it to run FAT32 (after backing everything up of course) will my 360 recognise it then?

It sure will, you could try it out by creating a small FAT32 partition and see if the 360 see's it :smashin:

Deftones

tokwitney

Established Member
I've reformatted it to FAT32,enabled sharing on the folders I want to share,but my xbox still doesnt see it !!!
There must be something very simple that I'm not doing...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom