• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox (not 360) advise needed

Rob100

Prominent Member
Hi all,

I don't normally frequent this part of the forum as consoles aren't my thing TBH, but our son is just about to turn 4 and having played on consoles round a friends he now tells us "I want to play games on the tele".... (bottom lip sticking out...). The games on Cbeebies web site are a bit boring for him now.

The "TV" would either be a 4:3 21" CRT (composite, svideo and RGB) or a Panny PW5 plasma (RGB, svideo, component or VGA) depending on which room he was using it in.

I plan to look at getting something second hand. I have read some things on the Xbox in the past, but am a little vague so some advise needed please :lease:

1) What's the best "chip" to get? I would like to be able to play back-ups as I would rather that he didn't have the original discs as you know what kids are like...

2) Can you back-up games onto the hard drive? If so this could be easier for him - he wouldn't need any discs then.

3) Being able to play xvids from the hard drive would be handy.

4) I seem to remember reading that some drives are better than others for compatabilty with back-ups?

5) What extra cables would I need for RGB, component or VGA connection. I assume the cable which comes with it as standard does svideo?

I probably have more questions, but this should get the ball rolling...

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
Rob100 said:
1) What's the best "chip" to get? I would like to be able to play back-ups as I would rather that he didn't have the original discs as you know what kids are like...

2) Can you back-up games onto the hard drive? If so this could be easier for him - he wouldn't need any discs then.

3) Being able to play xvids from the hard drive would be handy.

4) I seem to remember reading that some drives are better than others for compatabilty with back-ups?

5) What extra cables would I need for RGB, component or VGA connection. I assume the cable which comes with it as standard does svideo?

Rob.

1) I would stick with Executor chips, they are sorta the flagship models, there is a massive selection from basic mod chips, to ones with LCD screens and other things attached.

2) Yes

3) Yes - You would need a 3rd part OS like Xbox Media Centre (XBMC)

4) Samsung are the best drives but you will pay for it ;)
If you backup the software to the hard disk the drive will be redundant.

5) Xbox arrives with Composite/Scart connection

Basically what you will end up having is an Xbox with a mod chip (execuor for example), replaced hard disk to something obscenly large (300gig) and XBMC as your default dashboard :)

Rob100

Prominent Member
DarkEntity said:
5) Xbox arrives with Composite/Scart connection

Basically what you will end up having is an Xbox with a mod chip (execuor for example), replaced hard disk to something obscenly large (300gig) and XBMC as your default dashboard :)

Thanks for the reply. Is the scart composite only or does it also output RGB? Do I need additional cables to get component/svideo/vga (I assume you get all these options)?

Any idea what a 2nd hand Xbox as you've described above typically goes for?

Is it easy to change the HDD to a bigger drive myself? I am very familiar with PC hardware, so have no probs swapping the drive, but does it need initialising, formatting etc in a "special" way?

Thanks again,

Rob.

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
Its not a full wired Scart if memory serves me.

I really have no idea how much it would be to buy one outright, but have a look at www.divineo.co.uk or other sites that sell xbox modding gear

Its a stock IDE hard disk, but it needs formatted using something like the Slayers Install disk. Xbox Scene is a great site for info

triplea4uk

Established Member
Go for a hard drive below 250gb theres reports out hard drives over 250gb have big reduction on there life span.

Samsung drives are good because they read lots of types of media but they tend to wear out quick I recommend Philips drives.

Second Hand XB £60+
Mod Chips Anything Below £40
RGB Scart £5

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom