Xbox Next in 3 flavours

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if good news or not:

Next Xbox coming in three flavours?

Speculation across the web today has it (and we know how reliable that can be, so tread carefully), that Microsoft is currently planning to offer three differing 'flavours' of Xbox 2, with the first two systems arriving next year. This tittle-tattle comes from a rumoured meeting MS had with analysts in the UK, which was NDA'd, but was somehow revealed to The Inquirer.

The first two incarnations of the system, dubbed Xbox Next and Xbox Next HD, will be arriving in the autumn of 2005, both offering the same basic properties, but with the second console offering advanced functionality, enabled by the presence of a hard-disk drive. Speculation has it that this could be backwards compatibility with the current generation Xbox, media player functionality, or even TIVO/PSX style features (like the ability to pause/record live TV). Indeed, given the existence of the PSX, such a model is certainly well within the realms of possibility.

The third machine mooted is however altogether more surprising, and is referred to as the Xbox Next PC, due out in autumn 2006. As well as the standard Xbox 2 functionality of the previous models, this contraption will also include basic PC powers, possibly including Windows, a CD burner, wireless keyboard, mouse et al. However, there is a problem with this setup, namely that the PowerPC CPU's developed for the next Xbox do not support Windows currently (they're primary use is in fact in Mac's).

scrapbook said:
Not sure if good news or not:

[ As well as the standard Xbox 2 functionality of the previous models, this contraption will also include basic PC powers, possibly including Windows, a CD burner, wireless keyboard, mouse et al. However, there is a problem with this setup, namely that the PowerPC CPU's developed for the next Xbox do not support Windows currently (they're primary use is in fact in Mac's).

Noooooo .. goddammit .. the one good thing (okay not the one good thing but you know what I mean) is the fact it does not have a windows OS on it - if I want a PC I'll go to my PC - if I want a console game machine I dont expect to see windows on my TV - even the keyboard and mouse - flippin heck - why bother - proper gamers are just as good with joypads as they are with the keyboard and mouse combo ;) Just give me XBOX 2 (sod the other names) with a joypad and some outstanding games and I'll be happy - okay some video conf built in would be nice too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom